Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Marlins Notes

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

either way, the Marlins have had a awesome year. No one expected them to even be sniffing the playoffs. Tip my cap to Giardi and all the Marlin players.. I cant believe that Giardi is NOT going to return. Unfinished business for him.. IMO, Marlins loss...

Some decisions baffle me. Letting Sheff and Drew walk did. So does letting Girardi go.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

With the Marlins virtually eliminated from the playoffs, Yusmeiro Petit and Renyel Pinto could get a starts before the end of the season.
    Brian Moehler and Dontrelle Willis could be pulled from the rotation so the rookies can make starts. Willis is scheduled to pitch the final game of the season against the Phillies and if there are playoff implications involving the Phillies he will still start.

Florida has no plans to promote their rookies for the NL ROY.
    Both Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla must be considered top options, but the Marlins won't try to sway voters in any way. The Marlins problem is they don't have one single guy who it makes sense to promote. While Ramirez may be the strongest candidate, as many as six young Fish could earn votes.

MLB ERA
    In addition to their offer to Danys Baez, the Orioles have proposals out to Joe Borowski and Chad Bradford.
    Borowski is also receiving interest from the Phillies, Indians, Red Sox, Giants and Blue Jays. Still, he's probably going to be an easier sign that Baez, who is reportedly looking for $7 million per year.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Hanley Ramirez was sent to Miami for a checkup on his left shoulder due to a recurrence of soreness while in the Dominican Winter League.
    Ramirez will be examined Friday by Marlins doctors and plans to return to the Dominican Republic on Saturday. "I feel soreness when I swing," he said. "It isn't something serious, but the Marlins and I prefer to avoid risks."

Hanley Ramirez will sit out the rest of the Dominican Winter League season because of a strained left shoulder.
    Ramirez's shoulder troubles date back to the regular season. The Marlins want him to rest the injury for the remainder of the winter. The goal is for him to be 100 percent for the start of spring training.

Marlins signed third baseman Aaron Boone, who had been with the Indians, to a one-year, $925,000 contract.
    Florida gets its replacement for Wes Helms. Unfortunately, Boone isn't nearly as good of an option as a platoon first baseman as Helms, but he does offer quality defense and the ability to play second base when needed. If the Marlins start him over Mike Jacobs against left-handers, he'll have a little value in NL-only leagues.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Hanley Ramirez wants to resume playing in the Dominican Winter League, but the Marlins declined to allow it.
    Ramirez strained his left shoulder during a fall while running the bases in a game on Dec. 27. While he's feeling better now, the Marlins don't want him taking any chances and would prefer he continue to rest the injury.

MLB ERA
    Marlins signed RHP Mike Koplove, RHP Roy Corcoran, RHP Nate Field, RHP Lee Gardner, RHP Wes Obermueller, RHP Eddy Rodriguez, RHP Jimmy Serrano, LHP Chris George, C Chris Ashby, C Paul Hoover, C Nick Trzesniak, 1B Joe Dillon, INF Zach Sorensen, INF Jason Wood, INF Scott Seabol, OF Alex Sanchez and OF John Gall to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
    Most of these were done weeks ago, but the Marlins chose to announce them all at once. Of the pitchers, Field and Koplove have the best chance of winning spots out of spring training and Rodriguez is another who could be a factor at some point. Sanchez is the best bet of the hitters to have a job. Dillon's slim chance of making the team as a bench player took a hit with the Aaron Boone signing.

Marlins purchased the contract of outfielder Chad Hermansen from the Sioux Falls Canaries of the American Association.
    Yeah, that Chad Hermansen. The now 29-year-old former top prospect hit .317/.400/.579 with 19 homers in 375 at-bats for the Canaries last season. If he still has his legs, he's probably as good of an option in center field as Alex Sanchez or Reggie Abercrombie.

MLB ERA
    Dontrelle Willis has pleaded not guilty to drunken driving in Miami Beach, his attorney said Wednesday.
    Willis entered the plea in writing and did not appear, attorney Robert Reiff said. No word yet on when he's due in court.

MLB ERA
    Dontrelle Willis and the Marlins are closing in on a one-year deal to avoid arbitration.
    If a deal can't be reached by next Thursday, the two sides will exchange arbitration requests. Willis has three years of arbitration remaining.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    the Marlins going to trade/sign whatever anybody in the offseason. just curious. will they build off last year's momentum?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The are looking for a CFer and were in talks with the Giants about Benitez but those talks have come to a halt. Jacque Jones is relatively cheap and the Rockies might try and trade Taveras.

MLB ERA
    Marlins signed RHP Felix Rodriguez to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Rodriguez is more likely to be Matt Herges than Joe Borowski, but adding his experience still might aid the Florida pen. The 34-year-old had a 7.67 ERA in 29 1/3 innings for the Nationals in a 2006 season ruined by shoulder troubles.

MLB ERA
    Marlins GM Larry Beinfest believes the newly acquired Alex Sanchez has a realistic chance to win the starting spot in center field this spring.
    "He's had a lot of success in the big leagues," Beinfest said. "We like his speed. He can bunt. He can do a lot of things that put pressure on people." Yes, he can put an awful lot of pressure on his own team's pitching staff with some of the worst center field play you'll ever see from a guy who has plenty of range. Considering that the Marlins only had one spot at which they really needed an upgrade, Beinfest's winter will have to be considered a failure if Sanchez does in fact win a starting job.

Travis Bowyer isn't expected to be ready for the start of the year after missing all of 2006 with a shoulder injury.
    Marlins GM Larry Beinfest said last month that he still sees Bowyer as a closer of the future. However, back-to-back lost seasons could end that possibility. The Marlins don't have any idea when Bowyer will be ready to pitch.

The Marlins are still holding out hope of acquiring Armando Benitez and would prefer not to shift Ricky Nolasco to the pen.
    Nolasco would become a favorite to close if he is tried as a reliever, but the Marlins think he can contribute more as a starter. As things stand now, Taylor Tankersley looks like the best bet for saves in the Florida pen. The team is still believed to be willing to part with either Yusmeiro Petit or Sergio Mitre for Benitez. However, if the Giants are going to be paying almost all of Benitez's salary, they'll want more in return.

According to ESPN.com, the Marlins and Dontrelle Willis have agreed to terms on a one-year, $6.45 million contract.
    Willis settled for slightly less guaranteed money that Carlos Zambrano got last year ($6.5 million) as a second-time arbitration eligible, but he can earn more through bonuses. They weren't exactly comparable cases anyway, as Willis was a super-two player a year ago. He won't be eligible for eligible for free agency until after 2009.

MLB ERA
    Marlins agreed to terms with LHP Dontrelle Willis on a one-year, $6.45 million contract.
    It's a $2.1 million raise for the recently turned 25-year-old. He can earn a $50,000 bonus if he makes 32 starts and more if he pitches his way on to the All-Star team or wins a Cy Young Award.

The Marlins have offered Miguel Cabrera the same one-year, $6.45 million contract that Dontrelle Willis accepted on Monday.
    Willis appears set to set a record for a first-time arbitration-eligible player and might not want to settle early, though the Marlins' offer is pretty fair. Cabrera won't be eligible for free agency until after 2009.

Marlins agreed to terms with catcher Miguel Olivo on a one-year contract.
    Despite a 103/9 K/BB ratio in 430 at-bats, Olivo did a fine job as the Marlins' primary catcher last season, hitting .263 with 16 homers and 58 RBI. He's likely to get just as much playing time this year.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast