Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlins not done yet

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Marlins Marlins not done yet

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

With Castillo gone, the Marlins can focus on jettisoning catcher Paul Lo Duca ($6.25 million), lefty Ron Villone ($2 million) and arbitration-eligible center fielder Juan Pierre, who's 2006 salary should top the $4.5 million mark.

The Lo Duca market should intensify once free agents Ramon Hernandez, Bengie Molina and Brad Ausmus sign. The Yankees are willing to take Pierre if the Marlins relinquish the notion of acquiring Robinson Cano or Chien-Ming Wang. According to the Newark Star Ledger, the Yankees are willing to part with pitchers Hayden Penn and Scott Proctor for Pierre.

"Yankees, that's where I think he winds up," said one major league scout who's spoken to both teams. "It's a Yankees or Cubs proposition."
    This is crazy...

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's Sean Henn, not Hayden Penn.

MLB ERA
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins...lins_1220.html

The Florida Marlins and the agent for left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis have made progress on a one-year contract.

"Certainly where they started is reasonable,'' agent Matt Sosnick said Monday. "We've talked a few times, and it's been very open, very polite.''

The Marlins are expected to tender contract offers to their 37 unsigned players today, including Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

Willis, the only player eligible for arbitration, is expected to sign for around $4 million, the salary he likely would receive in arbitration. Sosnick does not expect the process to reach arbitration.

"I feel that the Marlins recognize how valuable he is to the team, and I am not sure what they could say about him that is bad,'' Sosnick said, referring to the arbitration process.

Sosnick added that he would be "very surprised'' if Willis was traded.

Willis, 23, was the NL Cy Young Award runner-up last season to St. Louis' Chris Carpenter. Willis finished 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA.

Cabrera, 22, has not yet qualified for arbitration. The Marlins have the right to renew his contract. Cabrera is expected to make about $475,000 this season.
    1 year deal for only $4 million? that's garbage...

MLB ERA
    Willis should come to the Yankees...I'd give him 4 years 40 million, after all that is the running price for lefties (Wagner, Ryan, etc.)

MLB ERA
    Willis? Trade? They're not that dumb when they don't have to pay him yet.

And 10 mil/per for Willis right now? Laughable, if he was to hit the open market he'd rake in more than that.

Dude, they're closers. Closers get less than SPs.

He'd go for 5 years, 72 million to...the Red Sox.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    BLASPHEMY
    I'd give them everyone for him

except Bubba...

You seriously need some help. Bubba friggin Crosby.

Then again, my favorite player is Jim Finn, so go figure.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Well I'd let you win in Madden if I ever met Bubba...
    but that will never happen

MLB ERA
    don't say never about Willis being moved:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...60/1007/SPORTS

Action: The Florida Marlins reportedly already are making plans to move star pitcher Dontrelle Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera at this summer's trade deadline.

Reaction: Some team will strike gold with Willis, who might be the most entertaining pitcher in baseball today. Cabrera is a future batting champion. The Yankees figure to wind up with at least one of them.
    Un****ingbelievable! Just move the team already...

MLB ERA
    That's the biggest bunch of BS I've ever read. The dude honestly made that up, there is no way they would move either of them this early, they won't give them an extension, but trading those two won't happen.

That might not even be the worst thing said in the article

Action: Center fielder Johnny Damon gets two hits in his spring debut with the New York Yankees.

Reaction: If Damon stays healthy, he should score at least 150 runs this season and the Yankees could top 1,000 runs. Of course, the team needed a quality healthy starting pitcher more than Damon and all those runs wouldn't guarantee a world championship.

There is exactly one player since 1937 who has gotten over 150 runs in a single season: Jeff Bagwell in 2000. In that season, Jeff Bagwells on-base percentage was over forty points higher than Damon's career high (2000). Damon's career high in runs was also in 2000, with 136. That was Damon's best year, he was 26 years old, stole 46 bases, and hit .327. He hasn't done any of that since then. Oh, it gets better, with one of the best offenses in recent memory, the 2004 Red Sox in quite arguably his second best offensive year, he had 123 runs.

The closest a team has gotten to 1000 runs in the past few years was the 2003 Red Sox and the 04-05 teams, with the 2003 Braves also scoring over 900 runs. Many other teams, including Yankees squads, scored in the high 800's. In fact, what many argue is the best lineup ever (1927 Yankees) didn't even score 1000 runs. I'm not saying they can't do it, but they should? Egads.

OK, that's still the second most ridiculous thing in the article behind the Willis/Cabrera thing, but damn. They let him talk about sports?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    There is definately no way the Marlins are going to move Willis or Cabrera anytime soon... I believe they will be Marlins until both are eligible for Free Agency. Then that would be the most likely scenario when the Marlins would consider dealing them.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why won't these guys be moved is my question to you guys? Sure its sounds silly but you have to look at it from the business aspect. They are not going to sign these guys after the seasons for they will get huge salaries. You absolutely have to trade these guys to get top prospects in return. They have to get something for these guys instead of just letting them go at season's end.

MLB ERA
    They don't have to worry about that for what? 3 or 4 years? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast