Thread: The End of the End.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The End of the End.

It could have been better for a guy like Willis, and the season could have been better if Lowell or Pierre didn't have off years. In the end, it just got ugly with Willis taking a shutout into the 9th, only to see the pen give way to a 10 run explosion and an embarrassing loss. Then comes the pen to the rescue again, imploding and choking at the start of a critical series against the braves. They ended up handing the series, and their playoff hopes off to the nether regions of.. Houston of Philadelphia.

A.J. Burnett, probably gone.
    Will anyone else join Wild Thing?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    It could have been better for a guy like Willis, and the season could have been better if Lowell or Pierre didn't have off years. In the end, it just got ugly with Willis taking a shutout into the 9th, only to see the pen give way to a 10 run explosion and an embarrassing loss. Then comes the pen to the rescue again, imploding and choking at the start of a critical series against the braves. They ended up handing the series, and their playoff hopes off to the nether regions of.. Houston of Philadelphia.

A.J. Burnett, probably gone.
    Will anyone else join Wild Thing?
    "We play scared, we manage scared, we coach scared, and I'm sick of it, man," Burnett said. "It's depressing around here. ... It's like they expect us to mess up and when we do they chew our ass out. There's no positive nothing around here for anybody. Young kids come up, they can't get early hitting. They can't get early work. There's no positive [feeling] on this staff whatsoever, none. It's a waste. A positive pat on the back is better than anything, and I haven't seen a positive pat on the back since April. Guys are out here busting their ass. ... We ain't trying to lose. We ain't trying to give up runs or strike out. Guys are out there busting their ass, yet you still hear negativity. I'm not saying no names, just too much negativity."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A man who absolutely blew down the stretch would be blaming...
    Ted

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Burnett asked to leave Marlins
    Critical comments made on Sunday factor into dismissal
    By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- On Monday, a day after he'd made critical comments about the Marlins' disappointing season, hard-throwing right-hander A.J. Burnett was asked by the organization to leave the team.

Shortly before the Marlins played the Nationals on Monday night, Burnett was called into manager Jack McKeon's office. With general manager Larry Beinfest and assistant general manager Mike Hill present, the 28-year-old was told he no longer was wanted by the club.

"He has left the team," said Beinfest. "He is not suspended. He continues to be paid. He was told prior to the game."

Armed with a 98-plus-mph fastball, Burnett has some of the most electrifying talent of any pitcher in the league. He is eligible to become a free agent after the season, but the Marlins will not be one of the teams doing the bidding.

"There will be no multiyear offer to A.J. this offseason," said Beinfest. "That's basically where we are at."

Acquired by the Marlins from the Mets in 1999 in a deal that sent Al Leiter to New York, Burnett departs as the Marlins' all-time leader in a number of pitching categories, including victories (49), strikeouts (753), shutouts (eight) and complete games (14). He also is the team leader in strikeouts for a game (14), accomplished twice, including on July 6 against the Brewers.

This season Burnett finished 12-12 with a 3.44 ERA, logging 209 innings, four complete games and two shutouts.

His frustrations, as well as the team's, stem from some disappointing performances down the stretch. The Marlins were leading the National League Wild Card race as recently as Sept. 13, but have dropped four straight, and 10 of 12.

Burnett has lost six straight decisions since improving to 12-6 on Aug. 19.

On Sunday he was the losing pitcher at Atlanta, giving up five runs (four earned) in six innings.

Afterward, he levied some harsh criticisms at the club.

"We played scared. We managed scared. We coached scared," he told reporters following the Marlins' 5-3 loss at Turner Field. "I'm sick of it, man. It's depressing around here. A 3-0 ballgame, I give up one run and leave guys on base, it's like they expect us to mess up. And when we do, they chew us out. There is no positive, nothing around here for anybody."

Burnett had been in line to pitch on Friday against the Braves in Miami. The Marlins now are going with right-hander Josh Johnson, a promising prospect called up in early September from Double-A Carolina.

"We want to give Johnson a shot," said Beinfest. "We feel he has a future here, a bright future here. We want to give him the experience. Recognizing that our [playoff] chances are slim at this point, we want to get some young kids out there and give them a shot."

Johnson has made three relief appearances, and has a 3.86 ERA with no decisions. He is expected to compete for a roster spot in Spring Training.

"I'm excited," said Johnson. "That's what I've been doing all year, [starting], so I'll get back into my comfort zone. I'll go out there, hopefully do well and take that into next year."

Burnett showed up on Monday as if reporting to any other game.

McKeon eventually broke the news to his pitcher, saying that he wouldn't be needed anymore and that it would be best if he went home. According to the manager, Burnett didn't say a word. He simply got up, shook hands and left. After the game, his personal belongings were removed from his locker, with some neatly hung shirts, pants and belts left behind.

"[Burnett] said he didn't want to pitch here, so we got a kid we want to look at," said McKeon.
    Click here for the rest of the article

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh I hope the yankees do sign him. He'd be perfect.
    Ted

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

However, the Palm Beach Post reported that the decision will cost Burnett a $50,000 bonus he would have received for pitching 210 innings. He has pitched 209 innings this season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    **** Burnett and everyone like him. He sucked and tried blaming McKeon all year. Maybe it's time for a change but the Marlins were in this race a week ago.

MLB ERA
    Highly doubt that McKeon is going to be back. There's a possibility that the team could get completely blown up this offseason. If they can find a trade partner for Lo Duca or Lowell I'm sure they'd do it. Delgado's salary is going up a lot so they'd probably deal him too, and I even saw an article mentioning the team trading Beckett.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    It all depends on if they get their stadium or not. Delgado I would hope would be traded before Beckett. Lo Duca is very valuable as he is a leader.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They got pancaked today.
    Ted