Thread: Need more reason to despise Loria?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Need more reason to despise Loria?

I'm sure most of you know about the whole ordeal with former coach Tino Martinez. I didn't know about this part though until reading an article from Jeff Passan on Yahoo! so I googled it.

Miami Marlins roster move considered a rebuke of Chris Valaika - Miami Marlins - MiamiHerald.com

When does Karma reign down on Loria?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Rookie ERA

Re: Need more reason to despise Loria?

I really don’t need much of a reason.

While I can understand sticking up for “your guy” punishing a young player by putting his career on hold can not only hurt him, but the team as well. There are other ways to send a message to the cocky newbies that they “do what their coach says”. The last time I saw the Marlins (just last July) here at the Trop I witnessed Morrison, Stanton, Infante and Sanchez all picking up balls after BP and none of them are rookies anymore. I see lots of vets picking up balls, they don’t question whether they are the ones they hit or not.

It’s a shame Tino felt like he had to resign over a few brats, but he is right that everybody should pitch in, he was wrong though about questioning Kotchman over an injury, at least he took responsibiilty for it. Loria is wrong though, the best way for that kid to learn his lesson would be up with the big boys to show him the pecking order.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    When does Karma reign down on Loria?
    Well, if you believe in that sort of thing, when he gets to the pearly gates and St Peter says "Okay, Jeff, the big man wants to know why you killed his Montreal Expos?"

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Matt Stairs is God....I knew it

Rookie ERA

No surprise really that someone would be axed, both Larry Beinfest and his assistant were fired. The Marlins are at the 100 loss mark their worst season since 1998 the season after the Champions were dismantled. Would it be too much to ask that Bud take Jeffrey with him when he steps down??

Beinfest and Fleming out of baseball operations.

Rookie ERA

I don't know whether to be happy for the Marlins that Dan has been promoted or sorry for Dan to be the next punching bag when Loria screws the team up even more.

Hill & Jennings in as President and GM

MLB ERA

Baseball fans are a peculiar breed.

You don't see fans in other sports get upset when teams they are not a fan of are ran by imbesils that keep the team ran into the ground. The most they do is point and laugh.

I don't think I saw any football fan other than Raider fans express outrage over Al Davis' antics in his latter years.

I don't know of many NBA fans outside of LA and San Diego (some older fans still root for them) who despise Donald Sterling and wish he'd sell the team.

But in baseball, fans of other teams seem(ed) genuinely upset over Frank McCourt and the Dodgers and Jeffery Loria and the Marlins.

I'm not complaining, applauding, or anything here. It's just an interesting observation.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Rookie ERA

I don't follow the other sports as closely, but I don't know if there are many in any sport that care whether other cities teams are run poorly. I thought maybe I was just a "weirdo" when it comes to the issue. For me, I love the game as much as my team, you have to have opponents to be able to have a league so I respect other teams and can empathize with the frustration that other fans must feel when they have someone like a McCourt or Loria as an owner. I thought what happened to the Expos was a disgrace, they didn't die a natural death a lot of things point to them actually being sabotaged, kind of like that b**** in the move "Major League" purposely fielding a lousy team to lower attendance so she could move the Indians to (ironically) Miami. I sometimes fear the same thing might happen again, now of course Loria got his art gallery that's disguised as a stadium so he may not actually want to "kill" the Marlins, but he needs to let the baseball guys make the baseball decisions

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I hate Sterling as well but Leo has a great point.

You bring up the Expos and I think that was league wide panned by fans too.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    But in baseball, fans of other teams seem(ed) genuinely upset over Frank McCourt and the Dodgers
    They were?

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Baseball fans are a peculiar breed.

You don't see fans in other sports get upset when teams they are not a fan of are ran by imbesils that keep the team ran into the ground. The most they do is point and laugh.

I don't think I saw any football fan other than Raider fans express outrage over Al Davis' antics in his latter years.

I don't know of many NBA fans outside of LA and San Diego (some older fans still root for them) who despise Donald Sterling and wish he'd sell the team.

But in baseball, fans of other teams seem(ed) genuinely upset over Frank McCourt and the Dodgers and Jeffery Loria and the Marlins.

I'm not complaining, applauding, or anything here. It's just an interesting observation.
    I dunno, I generally get annoyed when other teams are run poorly. There seems to be a much higher turnover in the other sports though compared to baseball limiting opportunities. In football, the largest incompetent is one who spends money on his team which is full of annoying fans and plenty of egotistical characters alike (the Cowboys) so people actively root for them to suck. We've bemoaned the Bengals being run by a cheapskate.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post

No surprise really that someone would be axed, both Larry Beinfest and his assistant were fired. The Marlins are at the 100 loss mark their worst season since 1998 the season after the Champions were dismantled. Would it be too much to ask that Bud take Jeffrey with him when he steps down??

Beinfest and Fleming out of baseball operations.

In fairness to Loria, all he did was get rid of a bunch of underachieving highly-paid players who went on to finish last place in Toronto. They had to hit the reset button when the return on their free agent investments was 93 losses.