Thread: How long is too long?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins How long is too long?

Just how much longer can the Marlins afford to send Javier Vazquez to the mound every 5th day? Vazquez supports a horrible 16/22 K/BB ratio to go along with a 6.88 ERA. He is barely hitting 88 mph on his fastball and is 35 years old. The Marlins are a contending ball team this season so they can't afford to see if Vazquez can turn things around and everything suggests that is not going to happen. The bitch of it is that Vazquez is making $7 million this season so the Marlins probably don't want to just eat that. Perhaps a bullshit DL stint will do some good and try and convert him into a reliever and see if his velocity picks up that way. That's the only solution I can think of. Jay Buente, 27, is pitching great in AAA to the tune of a 38/6 K/BB ratio and a 1.26 ERA in 35 IP. Buente got a taste of the big leagues last year but as a reliever. If I'm the Marlins, I give him one more shot and then its Buente's turn to see if he can do any better which shouldn't be hard to do. The Marlins are going to need every game to get into the playoffs and they have a great shot to do so. They have played well so far this season and that's with Hanley Ramirez not playing well and Logan Morrison missing time on the 15 day DL. The Marlins could be doing a lot better.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: How long is too long?

Welcome back, Morrison. HR in his first game back. Now if Ramirez and Stanton get going to go with him and the very underrated Gaby Sanchez.

They definitely should try the dead arm DL bullshit. Hello! If he's not hitting even 90, something just might be off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Vazquez gave up six runs on seven hits in just four innings to raise his ERA to 7.55. In no way can the Marlins allow him to make another start! This is beyond abysmal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said that Javier Vazquez will make his next start Friday against Tampa Bay.
    Vazquez allowed six runs on seven hits and two walks Sunday over four innings in Florida's 8-4 loss to the Nationals, raising his ERA to 7.55. "I'm doing my best," Vazquez said. "Believe me, man. I'm doing my best, but nothing's working, nothing's working. Nothing. Absolutely nothing." If Vazquez is bombed again on Friday, the Fish may not have a choice but to replace him in the rotation. Jay Buente, Tom Koehler and Elih Villanueva are replacement options at Triple-A New Orleans.
    Why on earth would let someone start another game after saying those words?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Vazquez continues to suck giving up 13 ER in his last 7.2 IP.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was 100% wrong on this. Vazquez turned things around quite nicely somehow. Sure the Marlins season was already over (in part because of his shitty pitching) but he did earn his paycheck after a horrific start.