Thread: Start kissing Dan Uggla goodbye

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Marlins Start kissing Dan Uggla goodbye

Uggla headed out of Florida - Sports Rumors - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports
    It's becoming more and more evident that Dan Uggla is going to get moved off the penny-pinching Florida Marlins roster before spring training gets underway, according to the Boston Herald.

The 29-year-old Uggla, whose name supposedly means "owl" in Swedish, hit .243 with 31 homers and 90 RBIs for the Marlins last year.

So what's the problem? Well, the second baseman is going to get a raise in arbitration that will likely take his paycheck from $5.35 million to around $7 million. That's a lot of dough for a team that wants to have a salary budget around $40 million, according to the Miami Herald.

The San Francisco Giants wee supposedly interested in Uggla but won't give up pitcher Jonathan Sanchez in the exchange, according to the Miami Herald, so the deal is now unlikely.

The Atlanta Braves and Baltimore Orioles also supposedly had some interest.
    First and foremost: Why, yes, Uggla is Swedish for "owl". Secondly, do they really want another headcase in Jonathan Sanchez to go along with Andrew Miller?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Start kissing Dan Uggla goodbye

Of course he's getting moved. Loria is still a cheap bastard. No surprise.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, really no surprise. Is his eventual new team going to wise up and move him to 3B or 1B?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Uggla headed out of Florida - Sports Rumors - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports
    First and foremost: Why, yes, Uggla is Swedish for "owl". Secondly, do they really want another headcase in Jonathan Sanchez to go along with Andrew Miller?

Better than whatever it was again Atlanta received for Soriano.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Of course he's getting moved. Loria is still a cheap bastard. No surprise.
    Once the arbitration years begin, it's like a ticking timebomb until a Marlin is traded. Especially if they are reasonably talented because naturally the more talented they are the more they command in arbitration and ultimately the more they will demand when negotiating a new deal.

I'd be more surprise if Loria would keep him. I am still shocked that Ramirez received the deal that he did, but I guess even Loria realized they needed a name and a talent like that to lead them into a new stadium one day.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They actually did surprisingly all right for themselves in their last firesale by dumping future washed up vets in Carlos Delgado, Paul Lo Duca, Luis Castillo, and Juan Pierre. Plus they got Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett. Then there was the Piggy Cabrera trade, which was necessary as Loria couldn't (even if he wanted to) come up anything near the $152 million that Cabrera eventually got from Detroit, and look at how that contract has hamstrung Detroit. The Marlins just simply got suckered on the Baseball America hype bubble containing Maybin and Miller. I think Dan Uggla is really the first of these reasonably talented young guys who, if and when he is traded, outs them as cheap bastards.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, I wasn't commenting that the trades are always bad (mix bag as you pointed out, but positive results still), just that the trades WILL happen.