Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Gonzalez and Bochy Switch Brains??

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins Did Gonzalez and Bochy Switch Brains??

Looking at tonight's lineup I am convinced Fredi Gonzalez and Bruce Bochy have switch brains. Gonzalez tonight has Bonifacio and Maybin hitting 1 and 2 in the lineup, both having OBP's under .300. Who in the hell does that besides Bruce Bochy? What good could come of that? Why not try Hermida in the leadoff role? I know Gonzalez is without Hanley tonight but this is pathetic!

RF- Hermida
    C- Baker
    1B- Cantu
    LF- Gload
    2B- Uggla
    CF- Ross
    SS- Amezaga
    3B- Bonifacio

This would have been a better lineup for the Marlins tonight minus Hanley.

MLB ERA

Re: Did Gonzalez and Bochy Switch Brains??

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Who in the hell does that besides Bruce Bochy?
    Fredi Gonzalez
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm still convinced some kind of "Vice Versa" shit happened. Yes, I referenced a Judge Reinhold movie

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bochy's oversized noggin wouldn't fit in Fredi's skull.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But his tiny brain could fit in Fredi's head.

MLB ERA

Your lineup would suck. Hermida's too slow and Gload sucks in general.

Bonifacio and Maybin are speedsters with the capability to get on base, even if they haven't.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

My lineup would not suck. Hermida is not that slow and possesses better OB skills than both Bonifacio and Maybin. Gload is hitting better than Maybin at this point so thanks for playing but you're wrong. Thankfully Cantu brought his bat tonight to stop the streak.

MLB ERA

Yeah, Hermida's career .345 OBP is perfectly suited for the leadoff role.

You have to keep plugging Bonifacio in there. After all, that's the hand you chose. He has great speed and can change a game if he ever gets on base.

And the #2 hitter definitely should be Baker. I agree with you there. He's fantastic at getting on base, and will help to balance out the inability of Bonifacio.

I will say, Maybin belongs in the eight hole until he learns to quit swinging for the fences everytime, and starts trying to draw a walk every now and then. He should take a look at Dexter Fowler and learn a thing or two.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hermida's .400+ OBP this season looks a lot better than Bonifacio's ~.300 OBP. Have to go with the better hitter. They don't have to keep stick Bonifacio at leadoff and have no reason too which is the thing. Sure he has speed but that speed can be used in the 8th hole where his slap hits are welcome.

Dexter Fowler is a lot better contact hitter than Maybin. Maybin needs to be given a day off and definitely has no business in the #2 hole.

MLB ERA

Hermida's .400+ OBP this season looks a lot better than Bonifacio's sub-.300 OBP. Have to go with the better hitter. They don't have to keep stick Bonifacio at leadoff and have no reason too which is the thing. Sure he has speed but that speed can be used in the 8th hole where his slap hits are welcome.

Dexter Fowler is a lot better contact hitter than Maybin. Maybin needs to be given a day off and definitely has no business in the #2 hole.
    It's a .400 OBP based on EIGHTEEN games. You don't give up on your game plan for the season(and the next 5 years) based on EIGHTEEN GAMES. You stick with Bonifacio, and you put Hermida in the 5 or 6 spot, where he belongs with his bat, Baker can be your two if you really want, but I see no way to allow Hermida to lead off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    It's a .400 OBP based on EIGHTEEN games. You don't give up on your game plan for the season(and the next 5 years) based on EIGHTEEN GAMES. You stick with Bonifacio, and you put Hermida in the 5 or 6 spot, where he belongs with his bat, Baker can be your two if you really want, but I see no way to allow Hermida to lead off.
    Yes and in those 18 games your leadoff man has a ~.300 OBP and in the middle of a seven game losing streak. What is wrong with ruffling feathers and putting together a better lineup? Hermida is getting on base at a better rate than Bonifacio, that's a way to see him batting leadoff. Move Bonifacio down to the 8 hole and when his bat warms up, then you can move him back. Nothing wrong with shaking things up. Sticking with a player who isn't performing is just dumb and a reason why seven game losing streaks happen. Batting guys with ~.300 OBP's in the top two spots in the order is even dumber than that! You act if as I was saying to do this for the rest of the year.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    He has great speed and can change a game if he ever gets on base.
    You can't really do much damage on the base paths with your speed if you're never on the base paths.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Yes and in those 18 games your leadoff man has a sub-.300 OBP and in the middle of a seven game losing streak. What is wrong with ruffling feathers and putting together a better lineup? Hermida is getting on base at a better rate than Bonifacio, that's a way to see him batting leadoff. Move Bonifacio down to the 8 hole and when his bat warms up, then you can move him back. Nothing wrong with shaking things up. Sticking with a player who isn't performing is just dumb and a reason why seven game losing streaks happen. Batting guys with sub-.300 OBP's in the top two spots in the order is even dumber than that! You act if as I was saying to do this for the rest of the year.
    I'm agreeing Maybin should be lowered, but you don't need to lower Bonifacio. If you put him 8, he's hitting in front of the pitcher and is less likely to get anything to hit, meaning he's likely to preform even worse.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why on earth would you keep a ~.300 OBP guy in the leadoff spot? Just because he's fast? His numbers are getting worse, not better. He is a slap hitter and sending him down in the order could do him some good. Send a message that no job is safe. He's a slap hitter and slap hitters can hit that breaking stuff in front of the pitcher. He hasn't turned on a fastball all year. Again, its only to shake things up, nothing permanent.

MLB ERA

It's worked in the past. Look at guys like Reyes and Rollins both are great hitters with decent OBP's now, but they did not at the start of their career. Unless you're a World Series team(which I don't think the Marlins are, I think they're MAYBE BARELY a playoff team because of the bullpen weakness, and the terrible fielding), then you have no reason to not let Bonifacio develop in the spot that he will be spending most of his time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast