Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did Gonzalez and Bochy Switch Brains??

MLB ERA

Re: Did Gonzalez and Bochy Switch Brains??

Why do you keep calling Bonifacio a sub-.300 OBP guy. It's .307, that's above. I don't think it's ever been below .300 this season.

He also went 2-5 last night and the Marlins won. Their plan is to have him lead off, and it makes no sense at all to change at this point. The Marlins are leading the NL East, if I do recall correctly.

And it also makes no sense to keep shuffling a very young player around after three weeks. Being too rash is what hurts young players. Be patient, it's a long season. And I think the Marlins should be happy with their very good start.

Coincidentally, Bonifacio hit 1st and Baker 2nd last night, just like they have for most of the season (when Baker catches), and it was successful. The two reached base 4-10 times.

MLB ERA

.307 is not a pretty OBP.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So only teams that are World Series teams (how anyone would ****ing know in April is beyond me) can make adjustments and tweak their lineups? What a joke!! Yes you do have a reason to move him, when he's not performing and doing his job as a leadoff man which is getting on base. Jose Reyes did not start his career as a leadoff man and Rollins didn't either. Bonifacio is being thrown to the wolves here. A couples of days away from the leadoff spot isn't going to hurt a damn thing! I love how Hermida's OBP isn't good enough to leadoff but Reyes and Rollins are despite Hermida having the higher of the three.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    Why do you keep calling Bonifacio a sub-.300 OBP guy. It's .307, that's above. I don't think it's ever been below .300 this season.
    It was before last night's game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It's very ugly. It's just above .300.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Exactly. They think if you move him for a couple of games then he will just wither up and die or something.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    It was before last night's game.
    No, it was .301.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Oh lord!!! You got me!!! Leave him there since he is doing such a great job

MLB ERA

It's very ugly. It's just above .300.
    So, what's the point of harping on it?

So LTR's making a somewhat inaccurate statement in his arguments.

Who cares? His real point still stands.

MLB ERA

So, what's the point of harping on it?

So LTR's making a somewhat inaccurate statement in his arguments.

Who cares? His real point still stands.
    I don't know, because accuracy is actually important?

And to say someone is a sub-.300 OBP is a lot different than someone who might hover in the .310-.320 range.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, no Leo. I was proven wrong by .002. I must bow down and say leave him there where he isn't performing well rather than suggesting what's best for the team. I am so sorry to suggest moving him down in the order for a couple of games. It worked for Edgar Renteria this year and hundreds of other players throughout the history of baseball but noooooo. Lets stick with it all year no matter what.

MLB ERA

I don't know, because accuracy is actually important?

And to say someone is a sub-.300 OBP is a lot different than someone who might hover in the .310-.320 range.
    Is it so important that the conversation needs to stray from the actual points of contention?

If you take LTR's posts and replace every reference to "sub .300" with "~.300 OBP" the points behind his arguments do not change one bit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I will start editing right now Leo.

MLB ERA

Is it so important that the conversation needs to stray from the actual points of contention?

If you take LTR's posts and replace every reference to "sub .300" with "~.300 OBP" the points behind his arguments do not change one bit.
    No, but what he said was wrong. He never really wanted to respond to my post, other than to say that it was under .300 before last night's game, which was also untrue. Forgive me for pointing out incorrect facts. I guess we can all just throw out whatever numbers we want, and they're somehow legitimized because they're "close".

As I said before, Hermida is a .345 career OBP guy, which does not give him an advantage over Bonifacio, given the small sample size and Bonifacio's ability to change a game with his speed. Even if Hermida gets on base one more time a week, having two slow guys at the top of the order is not going to be any better than one of the faster players in the league.

It also makes no sense to shuffle a hitter around in the order for "two days" so that things will magically change. If you want to change things up, give him a day off. Don't start hitting him 7th or 8th (not sure how you want to have Bonifacio and Maybin back-to-back at the end of the lineup either).

I actually responded very acutely to his points in my first and second responses, you are the one that has just felt the need to continue the so-called "off topic" part of this conversation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Of course it makes ****ing sense to move a hitter around! They do it all the time and most of the time it works. Especially for a guy that hardly has any ML experience in the leadoff spot!! This is truly hilarious Renteria was moved down from second to eighth for a few games and now he has reached safely in his last ten games. Sometimes players need a wakeup call. A healthy does of breaking balls in front of the pitcher can do some good.

Hermida's OBP this season and career OBP does give him a clear advantage to give him a shot to boost the Marlins offense which has been slumping, especially during a seven game losing streak and when Bonifacio's numbers continue to decline. He is not that slow either. He is faster than Jason Kendall was when he was leading off. Do any of you actually watch the Marlins? I am guessing no from the looks of it.

I am so sorry for being off by .002 but it did not change anything that I was trying to say. You guys think that moving Bonifacio is somehow going to ruin him which could be nothing further from the truth. Having Maybin and Bonifacio at the end of a lineup is a lot better than at the beginning of a lineup. You tend to put your worst players at the end of the lineup. Somehow its been working since the beginning of baseball.

Leo never went off topic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast