Thread: Are the Marlins relievers for real?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Marlins Are the Marlins relievers for real?

Part 3 of 3 in our ongoing series to discover: How the hell is this team playing well?

CL Kevin Gregg - 24 games, 4-2, 2.13 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 10/11 saves, 25.1 IP, 17 H, 12 BB, 20 K
    Gregg's numbers last year were fantastic except for his walk numbers, so more of the same here. He was very quietly 32 for 36 in saves last year so this isn't a huge surprise.

Renyel Pinto - 26 games, 1-2, 1.41 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 32 IP, 17 H, 21 BB, 21 K
    First thought: HOLY HELL RENYEL PINTO HAS A 1.41 ERA AND A HIT PER TWO INNINGS. Then again he posted 3.03 and 3.68 ERAs the last two years, so it's the third year breakout. And his ERA will probably go up...look at the walks. 21 in 32 IP and a 1/1 ratio.

Justin Miller - 23 games, 1-1, 4.15 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 26 IP, 26 H, 9 BB, 26 K
    Lots of 26s there...Miller had a 3.65 ERA in 65 games last year with Florida and has been solid so far. A K/IP ratio of 1 and one hit per IP are good numbers. No reason to indicate a regression for Miller, he may even get better.

Doug Waechter - 13 games, 0-0, 1.40 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 25.2 IP, 16 H, 7 BB, 20 K
    With a career ERA of 5.30 we can safely assess this performance as a complete and utter fluke. If Doug Waechter keeps his WHIP under 1 for a full season I will eat a live bulldog.

Logan Kensing - 19 games, 3-0, 3.80 ERA, 1.44 WHIP, 23.2 IP, 18 H, 16 BB, 19 K
    Another pitcher with a bad walk to strikeout ratio. Kensing's ERA is better than his WHIP comparatively speaking. He's walked 54 with 88 K's in 94 career innings so those numbers are on pace with his season's output, and he has a career ERA of 5.07. Probably will regress a bit.

Matt Lindstrom - 22 games, 1-0, 2.84 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 19 IP, 17 H, 8 BB, 11 K
    Another pitcher with a high walk total, although he had a decent walk total last year in his first full season. He posted a 3.09 ERA in 71 games and has good stuff so expect a solid season and a good career from Lindstrom.

To recap, Florida pitchers need to work on their control. The strikeouts and hits/IP are pretty solid. This bullpen is actually a lot better than people think and shouldn't regress too much.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Are the Marlins relievers for real?

Well, Justin Miller just saw his ERA rise.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Gregg is the real deal, too early to tell for everyone else.

MLB ERA

Gregg and Miller both made a couple bad pitches tonight, but a bad break overall. I don't think this group is as good as it's been....but I also don't think it's as bad as some of us think

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

I really like this pen, but I have a bad feeling that over the length of the season it might go down hill if the rotation collapses. If they have to pitch too many innings, some of those young guy will have to pitch too much would could harm them. Or in a worse case scenario, Waechter will be pitching too much and that always spells trouble.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra