Thread: Jacque Jones Wants To Be A Marlin

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins Jacque Jones Wants To Be A Marlin

Given the opportunity to decide, outfielder Jacque Jones' first choice might be to join the Marlins. That's what Jones, who the Tigers designated for assignment last week, told an associate. For now, Jones has no control over his next destination. The Tigers have until Friday to trade or release him. Either way, they are on the hook for what's left of his $5.5 million salary (about $4.05 million). Any team that acquires him would make the Tigers pay much of the remaining money. Jones probably wouldn't cost the Marlins much more than a low level minor-leaguer and/or the pro-rated major league minimum (about $290,000)
    I could see the Marlins taking a chance on Jones with Amezaga and Ross hitting so poorly. Jones can help in CF but the Marlins need to focus on getting some pitching if they want to stay in the hunt all year long.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: Jacque Jones Wants To Be A Marlin

I just don't know if that is the direction the Fish want to go into right now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins signed outfielder Jacque Jones to a minor league contract.
    Jones hasn't played for over two weeks, so he'll head to extended spring training to get back in game shape. When he rejoins the Marlins, he'll likely end up starting against righties as part of a center field platoon with Cody Ross. Alfredo Amezega is expected to be shifted back to a utility infielder role, with Robert Andino likely to get sent down when Jones returns.
    I like the move as it gives the Marlins another veteran to help keep the Marlins on top. They need to look for pitching now.

MLB ERA

Jones is a decent CF, but is not an everyday CF. He is a very good hitter against right-handers, and may be a better corner outfielder.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Marlins have had a few injuris in the OF this season and he would fill in well for that, but as an everyday player I just don't know.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

The Marlins don't need Jacque Jones. But they could certainly use him. Cody Ross is hitting below the Mendoza line, and Alfredo Amezaga has never been a great player. When Josh Willingham comes up the Marlins will have a pretty solid outfield, but until then Jones could be a good stop gap. Ross and Amezaga can also play against lefties. Jones should be no more than a platoon player until then, as rotoworld says. It's a minor league contract, so it's really a no-lose scenario.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.