Thread: McPherson Good Fit For Marlins

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

McPherson Good Fit For Marlins

Dallas McPherson said Wednesday that he's "had a lot of conversations" with the Marlins, but talks have slowed recently.
    Non-tendered by the Angels last month, McPherson is an intriguing reclamation project for a team like the Marlins that can afford to give him some at-bats. "We had a lot of conversations a week and a half ago," McPherson said. "They're one of the top three or four teams on my list. They seemed to have a lot of concern about my health and we went in opposite directions. I don't know if they're interested any more."
    McPherson has always had good potential but never really got a shot at the big league level. He would get a ton of ABs if they don't move Uggla to third which it looks like they won't so he would be a fool not to go there. Dallas is 27 so he is reaching the prime of his career. He is definitely worth the gamble for the Marlins.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: McPherson Good Fit For Marlins

He never really got a shot at the big league level because his body couldn't stay on the field long enough to for him to get a shot.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Very true so Florida would be a good fit for him to get ABs.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

plus it seems the Marlins are re-building again. I hope they are better than expected.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins still have good arms in the rotation with guys like Uggla, Ramirez, Jacobs, Hermida and Willingham providing offense. I expect them to finish last in that division but don't see them losing 100 games.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    McPherson has always had good potential but never really got a shot at the big league level. He would get a ton of ABs if they don't move Uggla to third which it looks like they won't so he would be a fool not to go there. Dallas is 27 so he is reaching the prime of his career. He is definitely worth the gamble for the Marlins.
    Dallas McPherson is a kid that I got to know a bit when he played in Cedar Rapids. He has tremendous power and can field his position reasonably well when he is healthy. He has had some back issues, so his value as a 3B is limited. If he can get through a season without injury, he could be a nice pickup for the Marlins. If not, well.....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marlins signed third baseman Dallas McPherson to a one-year contract.
    McPherson was non-tendered by the Angels after missing all of last season following back surgery, but is still just 27 years old and is certainly worth taking a flier on as a potential replacement for Miguel Cabrera. He'll compete with Jose Castillo and Jorge Cantu for playing time at third base and has the power potential to emerge with fantasy value at some point.
    Good signing for the Marlins. I am interested to see how much the contract is worth since the Giants didn't want to pay him.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I just can't get excited about McPherson. The Angels gave him an opportunity to be their franchise third baseman after they let Troy Glaus leave, and in return, McPherson screwed them over.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Triple-A Albuquerque's Dallas McPherson hit three homers on Monday, giving him 15 for the season.
    Despite 58 strikeouts in 40 games, McPherson is hitting .297/.396/.659. The Marlins are still playing well enough that it's unlikely they'll instigate any big changes. However, it'd be nice to see McPherson get an opportunity at some point within the next month or so. Jorge Cantu isn't a long-term answer for Florida. McPherson probably isn't either, but the talent is still there.
    Boy would he look good in a Giants uniform right about now

MLB ERA

Dallas McPherson is a very good hitter, but has holes in his swing. He has difficulty hitting major league change-ups and curves, but don't throw him a fastball between his knees and mid thighs unless you want to turn and watch it fly out of the park.
    I got a chance to talk to him a few times when he played in the Midwest League and he is a really nice guy. He is good in a clubhouse.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon