Thread: Willis to remain a Marlin...at least until the trade deadline

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Willis to remain a Marlin...at least until the trade deadline

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- While it seems inevitable that Miguel Cabrera will be leaving the Marlins, strong indications surfaced on Sunday that Dontrelle Willis will be staying in South Florida.
    On the eve of the Winter Meetings beginning in Nashville, multiple sources said the Marlins are leaning towards retaining the D-Train, at least until the July 31, 2008 trade deadline.

The subject of trade speculation for years, Willis has two more seasons left in the arbitration process before he was to qualify for free agency. He earned $6.45 million this past season, and is in line to increase that figure to more than $7 million in 2008. Despite coming off a down year, the left-hander is still regarded as a bargain when you factor in how expensive free agent starting pitchers are. And the price to obtain young arms through trades is difficult.

In Willis, the Marlins understand they have a workhorse and clubhouse leader.

The Marlins are looking to bolster their rotation and return to the blueprint of building around pitching and defense.

Willis is coming off his worst season of his career, going 10-15 with a 5.17 ERA. And in the last two years, he is a combined 22-27 with a 4.49 ERA. Compare that to his 2005 season, when he posted a 22-10 record (2.63 ERA), and paced the league in victories.

With a 68-54 career mark, Willis already is Florida's all-time leader in wins.

Willis' value, however, is more than just wins and losses. What he does is eat up innings while giving the team more than 30 starts. In fact, in '07, he became the first Marlin ever to make 35 starts, as he compiled 205 1/3 innings.

While Willis is likely to return, the Marlins still are expected to entertain feeler offers for teams interested in the left-hander.

Over the past few weeks, the Marlins have had some preliminary talks regarding Willis. The Tigers and Astros expressed interest, but Florida's asking price is high.

Willis, who turns 26 in January, is a two-time All-Star and in 2003 he was the NL Rookie of the Year.

The Marlins are hopeful that Willis will recapture his old form now that he is once again united with pitching coach Mark Wiley. In 2005, Wiley was the pitching coach the year Willis finished second to St. Louis' Chris Carpenter in the Cy Young Award voting.

One source on Sunday said if Willis rediscovers his lost touch, it would increase his trade value down the line, perhaps by the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, depending on how Florida's season is shaping up.

Willis is one of the most popular all-time Marlins, and he offers leadership in a young clubhouse.

As for Cabrera, multiple sources say the Marlins are committed to trading the 24-year-old slugger because they simply can't afford him. After making $7.4 million this past season, the Venezuelan native is in line to earn more than $10 million. Cabrera, like Willis, isn't eligible for free agency until after the 2009 season.

It is doubtful the Marlins will attempt to sign Cabrera for '08 and deal him during the upcoming season.

Florida is hoping to fill several needs in any deal involving Cabrera, especially catcher and center field. The Marlins also are looking for pitching in a Cabrera trade. The Angels and Dodgers have been the most active teams vying for the four-time All-Star third baseman. The Giants also are in the mix.
    How bad do the Marlins feel now that they didn't trade him for the huge price they could have had last offseason?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Willis to remain a Marlin...at least until the trade deadline

Dontrelle's probably going to suck again this season, and his trade value at the end of July will be at its lowest point ever! I bet the Marlins wouldn't even be able to get the great Melky Cabrera for him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Maybe Willis could be a throw-in along with Cabrera like Lowell in the Beckett trade.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Call me Nostradomus!! Rep points from everyone, now

MLB ERA

Change the banner haha

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I don't know if he was a throw-in, per say...

ah what the hell.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Call me Nostradomus!! Rep points from everyone, now
    You must spread some reputation around before giving love_that_reefer more reputation. Sorry man...
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Well do it man

MLB ERA

Nope, I will never give reputation out again just so I can't gve any to you.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'll remember this!

MLB ERA

Fine fine...I'll go pass some more out and then I'll give you some just to make you feel better.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM