Marlins Mailbag @ FloridaMarlins.com

Seeing how Chris Volstad is developing into a top prospect, do you think the Marlins will try to go after more high school pitchers than college pitchers in upcoming drafts? Or does that not have any correlation?
-- Michael S., Boca Raton, Fla.

It's an annual debate, do you draft high school or college prospects? Some organizations feel college players are further along, and are further along in being big-league ready. The Marlins generally take what they believe is the best prospect available. If you look at this front office's first-round draft picks since they took over in 2002, you'll see a mixture.

In 2002, outfielder Jeremy Hermida was drafted out of high school. Yet in 2004, Taylor Tankersley, a lefty reliever, was a first-rounder out of the University of Alabama. In 2005, the Marlins had five picks before the second round. All five were pitchers, with four being picked out of high school. Volstad, Aaron Thompson, Ryan Tucker and Sean West all were prep standouts who signed. Jacob Marceaux was taken out of McNeese State. Yet, last year, Brett Sinkbeil, a standout right-hander, was drafted out of college. The simple answer is they took the best arms on the board.

What do you think of Josh Johnson's most recent injury scare -- season-ending or not so bad?
-- Luis N., Miami

It doesn't have to be either or, season-ending or not so bad. Obviously there is a concern, and he is getting tests done to see if it is nerve-related, which is the belief. If surgery is required, he would miss the entire season. If it is a nerve problem that doesn't need surgery, it could be two months or more. He's been on a no-throw holding pattern since Feb. 22. And he hasn't pitched off the mound since he was injured last September.

Which relievers are showing progress? Relief pitching is the key. There is a lot of good, young talent in the Minor Leagues, but not too much experience in big games.
-- Rick L., Palm Harbor, Fla.

Some of the relievers to keep an eye on are Kevin Gregg, Matt Lindstrom, Henry Owens and Randy Messenger. Those are right-handers, with Gregg being a favorite to be the closer. Tankersley has experience as an eighth-inning setup man. Tankersley, however, is hampered by inflammation to his throwing shoulder. He should be ready early in the season, if not on Opening Day. Some non-roster invitees to keep an eye on are Felix Rodriguez, who has a lot of big-league experience, and sidearmer Mike Koplove.

The club's weak link last year offensively was center field. I know the Marlins look to the future, but why didn't they take a chance with little cost of bringing in either Steve Finley, who signed a Minor League contract with Colorado, or Bernie Williams, who would not cost a lot and who could provide major leadership. They would have been a one-year fill-in for Reggie Abercrombie and Eric Reed. Both should be in the Minors to get more seasoning.
-- Steve G., Miami

Finley made it clear the past few years he wanted to remain on the West Coast, so he never was a realistic option, other than in trade talks a few years back. Besides, if you look at his numbers the past few years, I'm not sure if there is any real upgrade with Finley. I'd rather see what the team has with its young players.

Williams is interesting because he can play center and right field, giving another option if Jeremy Hermida gets hurt. Williams, though, appears to only want to play for the Yankees or retire. Granted he had an extraordinary career, but word I hear from scouts is he is pretty much done. He has very little range in the outfield, and he wouldn't be a realistic fit to play center field at spacious Dolphin Stadium. Yes, he would provide some winning experience. Personally, I'd have checked into Williams to see if he would accept a role of spot starter and backup outfielder. But how much do you pay that player? Williams likely would want to be paid a pretty good salary, and he most likely wouldn't want to sit.

Right now, Abercrombie and Reed are getting their chances again to see if they can catch on. Neither of them is that young prospect any more. Both are 26, and now is the time they will either step up or not. Both have options, so if they don't pan out in Spring Training, they can go to the Minor Leagues.

Deciding on a center fielder will likely go down to Opening Day, and trade options are still being explored.

I heard some good news about the new stadium in downtown Miami. Is there any other good news about that and the Marlins lately.
-- Jeffrey B., Miami

Officials from Miami-Dade County are in Tallahassee lobbying the state for the $60 million sales tax rebate that has been granted to so many other professional sports teams. A year ago, the NBA's Orlando Magic received the same sales tax benefit that the Marlins are seeking. This would be a $2 million tax break a year for 30 years.

Thus far, there seems to be a spirit of cooperation from the state to grant the Marlins this rebate, which would go a long way in securing the final pieces of financing for the new stadium. We will know what the state decides sometime in April or early May at the latest. If the state comes through, and the stadium deal gets done before the All-Star break, plans can be made to break ground on the park that would be in downtown Miami. The team is hopeful to be in a new park by 2011.

As for news on the team, there are a lot of young pitchers worth watching. There is an abundance of talent in camp. How fast it develops will be determine how well the team performs.

I looked at the schedule and noticed that many games were not listed as being broadcast on FSN Florida or Sun Sports. However, when I went to the game on March 3, I saw a sign that read "150 Marlins games" on FSN and Sun Sports. Did something happen or change in that we won't be able to watch many of the games?
-- Abitbol S., Boca Raton

FSN Florida will televise 150 regular-season games, including 74 at home and 76 on the road. Of those 150, 110 games will air on FSN Florida, while the other 40 will be carried by sister network Sun Sports. Sun Sports is televising the April 2 opener at Washington.