JUPITER, Fla. -- With some of their lobbyists in Tallahassee pushing for state assistance in financing a new stadium, Miami-Dade County officials unveiled specifics of a $490 million retractable-roof building for the Marlins in downtown Miami.

The ballpark would encompass nine acres and would seat 37,000, while having 60 suites. The proposed site would be a few blocks southwest of the Miami Arena, east of Interstate 95.

The Marlins, according to reports, would contribute $207 million, including $45 million up front and the rest in future rent payments to the county, which will issue the bonds. The team also would pay off cost overruns.

Miami-Dade County would contribute $145 million in county hotel bed and sports facilities taxes. The city, meanwhile, is in for $108 million in tourist development taxes and hotel bed taxes freed up when Miami Arena was sold in 2004.

The state legislature is deciding whether to approve $60 million in a sales tax rebate that would be paid at $2 million over 30 years. There are positive signs that, after years of being rejected, the state will finally approve the sales tax rebate.

The Marlins are not commenting publicly on the stadium efforts.

Since their inaugural 1993 season, the Marlins have played at Dolphin Stadium, sharing the building with the Miami Dolphins. The team's series of leases at Dolphin Stadium expires after the 2010 season.

It appears the earliest the Marlins could move into a new facility is 2011. Major League Baseball is heavily involved in the negotiations, and the league remains committed to keeping the Marlins in South Florida.

Pitcher Dontrelle Willis says a new stadium would energize baseball in South Florida.

"They have it for football, they have it for basketball," Willis said. "There is a lot of pride and anticipation for a stadium. In the last five years I've been on the team, that's all it's been. There has been more discussion about the stadium than there has been about the team. If they have a stadium, I do believe people will come."

Is this really worth the money? I had a feeling that the Marlins would be the next team to move.