Thread: How do we choose the posters we hang?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

How do we choose the posters we hang?

Every once in a while there is a talented future superstar that breaks the mold and separates himself from the rest of the talent in the game as an elite ballplayer. We can look at such stars like Lebron James or Reggie Bush. These guys have had plenty of media exposure even before they became professional athletes. But where is the baseball player that has this sort of sentiment? Is there a star in the making that has us all awaiting his debut? Is there one that leaves us with such certainty that he will succeed that we cannot wait to catch a glimpse of him taking the field?

Yes, there is an influx of talent coming up in many of the major league systems. But which player stands out above all the rest and has us ready to guarantee a rookie of the year award? With such talented players coming out of systems like the Angels, Marlins, Devil Rays, and the Brewers, does a guy like Felix Hernandez stand out above the rest? Or is baseball waiting the arrival of a post-steroid slugger like Prince Fielder or Delmon Young?

Many baseball fans have come to love a certain player and have claimed that player as their favorite. They would go to great lengths to see them play in a live game or get an autograph. These are the players that are decorating our walls in our bedrooms or our own makeshift sports bar in our basements. For many of us, they are the reason we have come to enjoy baseball as much as we have. For me, that player is Ken Griffey Jr. But what do I do when he retires? I will be one of the millions cheering at home during his Hall Of Fame induction, but what comes after that?

I will have to find one of these young up and coming stars to create my need to stand up and motion his swing or pitching rotation in a clutch moment during the game. I need to find that player that makes me freak out when he messes up. I need that player to get me in trouble when something bad happens and my wife has to calm me down. One that will put me on an emotional roller coaster and makes me question why I care so much. Who is that guy going to be?

As a Reds fan, I will be looking at the young talent that they currently have. This way I can root for my favorite team and go crazy when my new favorite player is getting it done for them. Maybe Edwin Encarnacion will be that guy. Or possibly Felipe Lopez can be the player I am looking for. With so much young talent coming from everywhere, who will replace your favorite player when your guy retires? Which guy do you have your eyes on in hopes to recreate your passion for the game? After all, we need that little extra to take us on this ride once again.

-redsrbetter

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fact is, there's no one. There's no LeBron, there's no Bush, there's no Tiger Woods. All of baseball's big stars are aging fast, and there's no one to take their place, and that's sad.

One could claim that Pujols is the "new star", but he just doesn't have IT. Sure, he's one of the best, if not THE best, players in the game...but nothing that he does appeals to me.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Because baseball needs an American star. Pujols would be 20 times more appealing to the young baseball fan if his name was "Davis" or "Wilson".

Vladimir Guerrero isn't really appealing either.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I have... well it's obvious.
    But I think I have 99 times more Carmelo Anthony stuff on my walls than Barry Zito. And Z's prolly the only baseball stuff.

MLB ERA
    I can't be the only one who thought to myself, joek, when I read this thread.

MLB ERA
    Having IT means being white.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Fact is, there's no one. There's no LeBron, there's no Bush, there's no Tiger Woods. All of baseball's big stars are aging fast, and there's no one to take their place, and that's sad.
    Sad indeed. In fact it could be argued that the kids these days (on balance) are not interested in baseball. Certainly not the way they are interested and drawn to the NFL. MLB has lost it's luster for a lot of reasons...but the mian thing is there are no stars that people relate to these days. It's all about money and people get turned off by that.

As always, just my opinion.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    I can't be the only one who thought to myself, joek, when I read this thread.