Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonds to retire after 2006 season

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bonds to retire after 2006 season

Barry Bonds told USA TODAY that he will retire following the 2006 season.

"I'm not playing baseball anymore after this," Bonds said in a telephone interview. "The game (isn't) fun anymore. I'm tired of all of the crap going on. I want to play this year out, hopefully win, and once the season is over, go home and be with my family. Maybe then everybody can just forget about me."

Bonds also reiterated in the interview that he's never knowingly used steroids. He didn't make a prediction regarding how many games he'd play in this season.

"I can't even tell how you may pain pills I am on or how many sleeping pills I'm taking," Bonds said. "I don't have a choice. I can't even run that much anymore. How can I run? I don't have any cartilage in that knee. I'm bone on bone." Bonds plans to report to spring training on Tuesday.

Feb. 19 - 5:02 pm et

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...tirement_x.htm

MLB ERA
    This is great news to me. Not only because over the past couple of years I have gotten sick to death of hearing about Bonds, but also because there is very little chance of him hitting 48 homeruns this year which would break Hank Aaron's record. I do not want Bonds to break the homerun record.

MLB ERA
    If he doesn't break it, who is next in line on pace to break in?

Rodriguez, Pujols?

I still think Bonds will break it. Even if it means playing for another two years. His ego's too big. Luckily, it will not stand very long if he does.

MLB ERA
    I definately think A-Rod has the best chance of any active player. Three or 4 more consistent seasons from Pujols and he will be a candidate to have a shot at breaking it too.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Neither A-Rod nor Pujols will break it. Bonds will probably come within 5 HR or so, which will piss off a lot of people, including myself.

MLB ERA
    Buh bye Barroids. Have a nice life.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    When are you guys going to quit falling for this act? He gets you guys every time. Bonds still has a very good chance of breaking the record. Bonds still averaged a homer every 8.4 at-bats last year and if anyone saw him hit last year knows he still has it.

Arod is definitely next in line for the Crown.

MLB ERA
    I hope everyone walks him. And he doesnt even come close to 30 HRs let alone break Aarons mark. Although the rate Pujols and ARod are the crown may not be in San Balcocisco for long... but a few years ago everyone thought Griffey would be the one to not only break Aaron's record but SHATTER it.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

if he's bone on bone and wants to be forgotten.....why doesn't he just retire right now? hhmmm...yah. He's just trying to get attention.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Bonds might be changing his mind?

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060219&content_id=1315857&vkey=n ews_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

This could become another Roger Clemens type thing with the media, "will he retire?" "will he continue?" "will he unretire?" "what the heck is he going to do?"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bonds did this all of last year and its great to see Pedro Gomez's life has meaning again. We live for your "insightful" reports Pedro.

MLB ERA
    Bonds can't retire. What will ESPN talk about? Oh, that's right, I forgot about Yankees/Red Sox.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    And football. How many ****ing shows can there be about a game played once a week? ESPN has gone way too far. They actually cut Baseball Tonight viewings for this shit. Any channel that makes Sean Salisbury look like a genius is going the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    And football. How many ****ing shows can there be about a game played once a week? ESPN has gone way too far. They actually cut Baseball Tonight viewings for this shit. Any channel that makes Sean Salisbury look like a genius is going the wrong way.
    NFL shows usually die down after the pro bowl, but they'll be up again around nfl draft time. Then they'll die down again. Usually how it always is.

MLB ERA
    I bet you wants to get that record and than retire.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast