Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tejada requests trade; ha. ha. hahaha.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If Baltimore wants to trade him at all, I doubt it's going to be to their division rival.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    send him here!
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Rookie ERA
    stranger things have happened

Rookie ERA
    O's Hope to Retain Unhappy Tejada
    Team, Slugger Talk; Red Sox' Ramirez 'Absolutely' Endorses Notion of a Trade

Disgruntled Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, in his first conversation with a team official since he said he wanted to be traded, did not back off from that demand, a team source said. There appears to be hope for the Orioles that they can retain their best player, though, as the conversation was characterized as "productive" by the source.

The team plans to stay in touch with Tejada with the intent of changing his mind. But in case the Orioles are not be able to persuade Tejada to stay, they are already taking phone calls from other teams interested in trading for the former MVP.

At the very least the phone call, which took place after Tejada participated in a charity softball tournament in the Dominican Republic, allowed the shortstop to voice his concerns about the team. Tejada told the Orioles he made his trade demand to a reporter in the Dominican on Thursday because he wants to play for a winning organization. It remains to be seen whether Tejada is convinced the Orioles can be that winning team. Diego Bentz, one of Tejada's agents, did not return a phone call.

The Orioles had been trying to get in touch with Tejada since Friday morning, the same day his representatives first expressed to the team the shortstop's wishes to be traded.

If the Orioles decide to trade Tejada there certainly would be much interest, particularly from the Boston Red Sox, who seem eager to acquire the shortstop. A large obstacle to a trade with the Red Sox was removed on yesterday when a source close to outfielder Manny Ramirez said he would "absolutely" accept a trade to Baltimore.

Ramirez's willingness makes it more likely the teams can make a deal. Obviously, there are other issues involved, such as whether Baltimore would want to trade Tejada to a team in its division, and how much money the Red Sox would offer. One Baltimore official said the team would want a considerable amount of money from Boston to offset the difference in annual salaries, and another player, possibly pitcher Bronson Arroyo.

The most important issue is whether the Orioles will trade Tejada at all. If so, it seems they won't have trouble finding a trading partner. Numerous radio reports in Chicago said the Cubs would be willing to put together a package. It seems reasonable to think the Cubs would have to offer either starter Kerry Wood or starter Mark Prior plus prospects.

One Orioles official believed the Los Angeles Angels could be a good match since they could offer shortstop Orlando Cabrera, first base prospect Casey Kotchman, and pitching prospect Ervin Santana. It appears the Angels are interested. The New York Mets are rumored to be involved. However, the Orioles say they have had only initial conversations with teams.

Baltimore officials are puzzled as to why Tejada would make such a demand.

"I was saddened and disappointed," owner Peter Angelos said on Friday. "I always believed he was quite happy in Baltimore."

Angelos believes the congressional investigation of Rafael Palmeiro, in which Tejada was called to testify, may be playing a part. In a report of that investigation released by the House Government Reform Committee, two players said they had injected Tejada with vitamin B-12 at least 35 times each.

"Maybe there's something to that," Angelos said. "He's a very proud man. He's a classy type of player and he was probably hurt how that was disclosed."

Regardless, it remains to be seen how Tejada will be received by fans and teammates if he's not traded and whether the shortstop will sulk if he stays. In a conversation on Friday, Orioles third baseman Melvin Mora said Tejada promised he wouldn't.

"Believe it or not," Mora said on Friday, "if they don't trade Tejada, he's still going to play hard."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121001274.html

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    False hope my friend:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255388

Miguel Tejada might want out of Baltimore, but The Baltimore Sun reported on its Web site Saturday the Orioles are actively trying to convince him it's in his best interests to stay.

Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan and Tejada spoke Saturday night, the newspaper reported, and representatives of the club had been in talks with Tejada's representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza, throughout the day in the wake of Tejada telling The Associated Press on Thursday he's concerned the team isn't trying to be competitive.

"We have spoken to Miguel Tejada and his representatives," Flanagan told The Sun. "We have spoken to his representatives for the better part of the day and the only way we can categorize it at this time, is that Miguel wants to win."

Flanagan declined comment when asked by the paper if Tejada believes the team can win.

The Sun, citing unnamed sources, reported the Orioles have fielded calls from at least eight teams about Tejada. The Red Sox, currently without a shortstop, are one of those teams and they have reportedly offered All-Star outfielder Manny Ramirez. Ramirez is also clamoring for a change in scenery, but one Orioles official said a trade of Tejada for Ramirez was, "… not going to happen."

Tejada was frank in his phone interview with the AP on Thursday.

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada said from his native Dominican Republic.

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season.

He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI in 2005, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston in the AL East. In his first season as an Oriole, Tejada set career highs in batting average (.311) and RBI (150) and tied his career high in homers (34).

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," said Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP (.308-34-131) while with Oakland.

The Sun reported the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Chicago Cubs are also interested in Tejada.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Cubs contacted the Orioles about Tejeda, but no specific players were discussed.

Rookie ERA
    And now for something completely different

Miguel Tejada doesn't want a trade after all.

Tejada

Three days after telling The Associated Press that he wanted "a change of scenery," the Baltimore Orioles' All-Star shortstop backed off those comments during a phone interview Sunday with Comcast SportsNet.

"I never said I wanted to be traded," Tejada told SportsNet. "I said I want to see a better team. I don't want to keep losing like we have the past two years."

Tejada signed a $72 million, six-year contract with the Orioles before the 2004 season. He hit .304 with 26 home runs and 98 RBI this year, but Baltimore finished 21 games behind the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox in the AL East. In his first season as an Oriole, Tejada set career highs in batting average (.311) and RBI (150) and tied his career high in homers (34).

"I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," Tejada told the AP during a telephone interview in his native Dominican Republic on Thursday.

"I've done many things with this team and I haven't seen results, and the other teams are getting stronger while the Orioles have not made any signings to strengthen the club," Tejada told AP.

But Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP while with Oakland, said Sunday that he's just frustrated with the team's struggles, especially with pitching.

"Look at the division we're in," he told SportsNet. "It's not easy to win without pitching. I'm not saying I don't like the team or the city. If they trade me, I don't want people to think I just want to go to a winning team. I just want the organization to do something, go get pitching. If they don't, they're telling me they don't want to win.

"I don't want to take anything away from the pitchers we have. But we need more. We need an ace. I think they've got to make some moves. That's why I'm upset. I hope the fans won't be mad at me. But I think me speaking up might actually help the team get better," he said.

The Orioles hired Leo Mazzone, the esteemed pitching coach who had six Cy Young Award winners and nine 20-game winners during a 15½-year run with the Braves, in October. However, they haven't gone after veteran pitching to balance a young rotation. Last season's rotation featured five pitchers under the age of 30 -- Erik Bedard, who finished the season 6-8; Daniel Cabrera (10-13); Bruce Chen (13-10); Rodrigo Lopez (15-12); and Sidney Ponson, who was released in September after posting a 7-11 record.

SportsNet reported that Orioles officials spoke to Tejada on Friday night after speaking with the shortstop's representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2256260

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosox21
    WHy not a three way. Manny to the Mets, Benson and some prospects to the O's, Tejada to Sox.

I was kind of close

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-318162c.html

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252946

That'll learn you, buddy! Next time the Oakland A's, a perennial playoff contender, offer you the cashola, you accept it!
    Werd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12