Thread: Bush pushes baseball to end steroid mess

MLB ERA

Bush pushes baseball to end steroid mess

WASHINGTON — President Bush, who threw out the first pitch as Major League Baseball returned to Washington on Thursday night, said "the steroid issue has been a cloud over baseball and it will be until fans are convinced the situation has been cured."Bush, during an interview in the Oval Office before the Nationals entertained the Arizona Diamondbacks, added: "That's what baseball has got to understand. And I think they do understand it."

Bush, who was managing general partner of the Texas Rangers from 1988-94, has thrown out the ceremonial first pitch three times in the past, "but this one has a different twist for me — as president in the nation's capital."

Because he's been on the mound previously, he likened this first pitch to his second inaugural address.

"I'll be able to take in a lot more of the moment and absorb it, to really get outside myself and get a sense of the atmosphere," he said.

Jose Canseco, who played for the Rangers from 1992-94, wrote in his tell-all book, Juiced, earlier this year that teammates Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez used steroids. He also said Bush must have known about the drugs.

"Of course not," said Bush, who added he spent much of his time away from the Rangers in 1994 while running for governor of Texas. "I don't remember any discussion with owners, general managers or managers saying so and so was using steroids. The Canseco allegation about Palmeiro, Rodriguez and Gonzalez was immediately rejected by those guys."

Bush added: "I do know hurling accusations is not good for the game. It's really important for baseball to deal with the subject and it has. During the last two years there has been an honest appraisal. And a public outcry and a lot of exposure. The sport is now beginning to address the issue seriously."

The president, who urged the sports world to attack the steroid issue during his 2004 State of the Union address, said the recent suspensions of more than 30 minor leaguers and two major leaguers as a result of testing positive for banned substances will help.

"They've been called to account," he said. "And hopefully that will be a cleansing of the sport."

What to do about records linked to steroids "is going to be up to the experts — people who follow the game, love the game and work in the game," he said.

Bush became the first chief executive to attend an opener at RFK Stadium since Richard Nixon 36 years ago.

Bush continues tradition of presidential opener

WASHINGTON — With a hasty windup followed by a pitch that sailed above a generous strike zone, President Bush opened the Washington Nationals' inaugural home game Thursday night and ended the city's baseball drought of more than three decades.

Bush emerged from the dugout in a red Nationals jacket to mostly cheers, some boos and lots of camera flashes. Waving to the crowd, he walked straight to the mound and promptly threw a high pitch toward home plate. Nationals catcher Brian Schneider reached up and snatched the ball cleanly, sparking more cheers.

Joe Grzenda, the last pitcher in the Washington Senators' final home game in 1971, provided the ball he had used in that final game.

The president walked back across the diamond to another round of cheers from fans packed into 46,000-seat RFK Stadium. He waved and smiled before disappearing into the dugout.

Bush watched the game from a box behind home plate with baseball commissioner Bud Selig, first lady Laura Bush, daughter Jenna and others. He left the ballpark after watching five innings.

Under a blue sky and mild temperatures, Bush executed the ceremonial first toss with the skill of a guy who knows baseball. He was a part-owner of the Texas Rangers before running for governor of Texas.

According to White House spokesman Scott McClellan, Bush practiced his windup before traveling to Rome last week and most recently on Wednesday. He and Schneider had a private warm-up session at the stadium on Thursday.

Bush's pitch came 95 years to the day that President William Howard Taft did the same at a game between the Senators and Athletics, the beginning of a tradition.

The Senators left for Texas in 1972, but baseball returned to the nation's capital with the home opener against the Arizona Diamondbacks.http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...steroids_x.htm
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I Love Bush! It's good to see that he is even taking interest in our favorite sport. Steroids are an issue that has to be tackled and if our nation's leader's have to step in, well then we know it is a big deal. Thing is, will players finally listen?

MLB ERA
    Nope, that is why they keep doing it. They are retarded! They just need to stop for one second and LISTEN TO BUSH AND EVERYONE ELSE!
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Bush is right. We need to get rid of this ASAP.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston
    Nope, that is why they keep doing it. They are retarded! They just need to stop for one second and LISTEN TO BUSH AND EVERYONE ELSE!
    Ahhhh, no. They use steroids because it's the difference between being an AA filler making two grand a month/traveling on team busses/eating nothing but fast food and being a multi-millionaire making enough to live the rest of your life in just 5 years while living on lobster meals and fine wine.

Just my $.02,

I think the president of the most powerful country in the world should worry about issues like Iraq, economics and terrorism rather than steroids in MLB.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Ahhhh, no. They use steroids because it's the difference between being an AA filler making two grand a month/traveling on team busses/eating nothing but fast food and being a multi-millionaire making enough to live the rest of your life in just 5 years while living on lobster meals and fine wine.
    A bit extreme, but yeah.
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RLA68
    Just my $.02,

I think the president of the most powerful country in the world should worry about issues like Iraq, economics and terrorism rather than steroids in MLB.
    Does this mean he can't talk about it?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RLA68
    Just my $.02,

Exactly...that's what I've been saying about this crap from the start

I'm far from a Bush fan but I'm glad he has been vocal about it. One can talk about it and not have it be their main focus. Fact is he's a huge baseball fan, he can probably recite more baseball stats than budget stats, and I'm sure it upsets him like the rest of us. Though if the owners knew more about it in the late 80's/early 90's than they are admitting, that will put him right in the middle of the knowledge as well. I'm not saying he or any of them knew, but it's possible.

I never said that but in his "position" a mention is more than talk. Politicians should not stick their hands in the MLB cookie jar, in my opinion.

Steroids in baseball is not a matter national importance, again in my opinion. Not a Bush fan or Kerry fan or whoever fan. Just saying it like I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Does this mean he can't talk about it?