Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your MLB AllStar Team

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    C Pudge
    1B Teixeira
    2B Loretta
    3B Chavez
    SS Jeter (just cause he's a team player...if not Tejada)
    OF Beltran
    OF Ichiro
    OF Vlad
    DH Ortiz
    SP Santana, Peavy, Livan Hernandez (mr. complete game, most innings last year, tons of k's), Zito, Harden
    Closer Gagne

AA ERA
    There are so many good young pitchers in major league baseball that you can do no wrong picking them.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    C: Varitek
    1B: Pujols
    2B: Soriano
    3B: Rolen
    SS: Furcal
    LF: Ramirez
    CF: Beltran
    RF: Guerrero
    SP: Schmidt
    RP: Gagne

Rookie ERA
    1b - Todd Helton
    2b - Alfonso Soriano
    3b - Scott Rolen
    ss - Alex Rodriguez
    lf - Manny Ramirez
    cf - Ichiro
    rf - Vlad
    c - Pudge
    sp - Johan Santana
    closer - Lidge
    manager - Bobby Cox

MLB ERA
    Doing a simplified one, I think mine would look something like...

C - Ivan Rodriguez (I think long-term, I would much prefer Joe Mauer or Victor Martinez, but right now, neither of them can beat Pudge's offense, though the gap is closing defensively)
    1B - Albert Pujols (though again, long-term, easily I would take Mark Teixeira, he just is not there yet)
    2B - Mark Loretta (close between him and Jeff Kent, I give Loretta an edge because he has the defensive edge... Marcus Giles is hovering around third, and given time, he will probably overtake this slot. Soriano isn't even in the picture for me because he has such poor defense and isn't really going to be a great player in any year when he doesn't have at least 35 HRs and 35 SBs)
    SS - Miguel Tejada (pretty easy one; without Alex Rodriguez at short, Tejada is clearly the best offensive one left, and is the second best defender of the "big" shortstops, behind Renteria)
    3B - Scott Rolen (one of the deeper/harder choices here; Rodriguez is great, Beltre has great defense and if he maintains even 85% of last season's production he'd be up at the top, and then there's Melvin Mora/Aramis Ramirez/Eric Chavez/Mike Lowell, and Hank Blalock and David Wright on the rise... I think this will change to Wright after this season or the next, though)
    LF - Barry Bonds (not as clearcut a choice as it has been in these past years, but I'll still have to go with Barry. Manny's close, but... boy, he sure sucks at defense, doesn't he? Adam Dunn is going to be the choice here very shortly)
    CF - Carlos Beltran (tough one here, too, with Jim Edmonds and JD Drew and Beltran being three of my top picks for CF. Drew's problem is that nobody knows how consistent he'll be or how his injury situation is, and Edmonds lacks the speed of Beltran though it's pretty even with those two otherwise)
    RF - Vladimir Guerrero (Lance Berkman makes this close, but he gives up a little power, a lot of speed, and some defense to Vlad.. plus I gotta stick with the former Expo)
    DH - Travis Hafner (I don't know why. I really don't. David Ortiz probably has more power, but I'm tired of picking the better current player, so I'm going with someone who will be better in the future)
    SP - Johan Santana (He's got youth and ability on his side right now, plus he's a lefty. No other choice that's really close, in my mind)
    CL - Joe Nathan (I think Gagne is probably the better closer right now, and maybe even Mariano Rivera, but Nathan was just ridiculous last season and has plenty of room for improvement)
    Last edited by McKain; 04-02-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    3B - Eric Rolen
    Eric is pretty good, but I think his brother Scott is way better......

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFan2002
    SS: Furcal

MLB ERA
    You know nothing of the powers of Eric Rolen!

NOTHING!!!

That'd be better if you could see the Cardinals uniform more.

MLB ERA
    and if the A's lettering wasn't backwards. What is up with that?

MLB ERA
    I did that intentionally for effect.

It makes it look like some bizzaro world genetic mutation betwene Chavez and Rolen

MLB ERA
    oh ok...I got that it was supposed to be Scotty Chavez, but I thought I was dyslexic for a second there

MLB ERA
    Really, I did it because there's virtually no good frontal shots of Eric Chavez online, and not so many of Scott Rolen, so I took one of Chavez and flipped it horizontally so I could put it on the Rolen pic.

Rookie ERA
    C: Ivan Rodriguez
    1B: Albert Pujols
    2B: Miguel Tejada (Yeah, I'd move him over)
    SS: Alex Rodriguez (Him too)
    3B: Scott Rolen
    LF: Carl Crawford
    CF: Carlos Beltran
    RF: Vladimir Guerrero
    DH: Manny Ramirez

SP: Johan Santana
    SP: Ben Sheets
    SP: Carlos Zambrano
    SP: Tim Hudson
    SP: Roy Oswalt

I prefer youth, can you tell?
    BW

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Doing a simplified one, I think mine would look something like...
    1B - Albert Pujols (though again, long-term, easily I would take Mark Teixeira, he just is not there yet)
    long term you'd rather have Teixeira? That is ridiculous.

There is absolutely no reason. Sure Pujols is older, but I dont think that 3 months is going to see Pujols retire any earlier than MT.

Is it because Pujols has been the most consistant hitter the game has seen in a long time? I mean to bat .310+ AVG, 180+ Hits, 30+ HRs, 120+ RBIs, with less than 100K's in each of his first four seasons.

Meanwhile in his two years Teixeira hasn't batted over .285, hit 30+ HRs once, hasnt yet had over 120 RBIs, hasnt yet had over 155 hits, and has struck out over 100 times twice already.

I like Teixeira, but to say that he is going to be better than Pujols, is naive.
    BW

MLB ERA
    If you actually think Pujols is 25, while knowing full well he's from the Dominican Republic, then I'd say you're the one who is naive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast