Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Carpenter wins NL Cy Young

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Definitely the most worthy winner. Clemens finishing third, haha.

MLB ERA
    Sorry Roger, you got shafted.

The facts were ignored in choosing this award.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I personally liked Willis's year/performance better... but I have no problems with Carpenter getting it... I would have had Willis first, Carpenter second, and Clemens third...

Though I must say Clemens may have deserved a better fate than third, for what he personally did this season.... too bad he had no team support for the majority of the year

Yes, Clemens got pwned for stealing it last year. Good deal!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's 2005, we have the world of nearly every stat known to man at the tips of our finger with the world wide web and we still value a flawed stat such as the win record as the almighty stat. How much lower does an ERA need to be to discount wins? I realize Carpenters other shining stats (innings and K/9) but I really don't know how nearly a 1 run difference in ERA can be forgotten about. And again I realize the other stats but look at the votes, you know nearly all of Carpenter's 1st place voters are due to the votes seeing the amount of wins and not researching the rest.

Clemens didn't deserve it last year as we all know RJ did. The fact that he didn't win doesnt bother me because I didnt expect he would and we already argured the hell out of it so there is no need to go through that again, but only two first place votes? Wow. Congrats goes out to the St. Louis Cardinals offense.

Andy Pettitte gets hardly anything? Wow again.

MLB ERA
    Maybe the voters aren't nerds.

MLB ERA
    The Cards' offense certainly was the determiner in giving this award to Carpenter.

Carp can thank Jocketty for the award.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Carpenter had the best stats and won. Hate to say it, but I told you so

MLB ERA
    No one ever disagreed on the notion that Carpenter WOULD win. That is a completely different animal than discussing whether he SHOULD win.

And Clemens led in more of the important statistics(ones that show how good a pitcher is).

MLB ERA
    The Rangers and Reds had 2 of the top offenses in MLB, but none of the pitchers were considered. Oh wait, that's because they sucked.

It's not Carpenter's fault his team was good.

He still had to pitch well to win all those games.

He still beat Grandpa Clemens twice.

And guess what? The Astros made the World Series despite being so "bad" on offense.

Carpenter is king. Clemens is father time and should retire. C-ya Grandpa!

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

MLB ERA
    What do the Reds and Rangers offenses have to do with anything? Their pitching wasn't good enough. Carpenter was good, but when it comes down to comparing two players side by side, the team's offensive talent is important, especially when looking at the pitcher's Wins and Losses as a key metric. His offense being good wasn't his "fault", but it certainly aids him unfairly when going head to head with another candidate in terms of Wins and Losses.

The two head to head matchups between the two mean little too, as those are small sample size situations, which really don't tell much.

The Astros made the World Series because of their pitching. They lost the World Series because of their hitting, which was the same issue that caused them to lose a good amount of the games started by Clemens this past year.

Clemens should retire only if he thinks he can't perform anymore. He was a great pitcher this year, so unless his health prevents him from pitching anymore, I would see no reason for him to not at least give a shot at pitching again this coming year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    agree with CRF here. Clemens ERA should have gotten him the win alone. Yet, he lost due to his inability to get the Ws. Was this his fault? A few times, yes, but the majority of the time absolutely not. Yes pitching wins championships, but you still have to have an offense to help you win games. Clemens ERA porves that.

Congrats to Carpenter and the Cards making this a team win. Not an individual effort.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    What do the Reds and Rangers offenses have to do with anything?
    It has everything to do with it because you've been saying that Carpenter only got the wins he did because of his offense. The point I made shows that offense doesn't always equal wins. So Carpenter played a role, too.

Boo hoo, Clemens lost Thems the breaks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast