Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Depo Done

OK.

As for the Cy Young thread, my intensity for my position varied pretty directly on how close I felt the candidates were. I defended Clemens steadfastly when his ERA was below 1.5 and his IP was close to Carpenter. However, when their ERAs got closer and the IPs separated, the distance between the two was less, so I didn't really need to be intense since it was a real debate of the facts.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Ugh huh. Again, that issue was a matter of fact, and every sabermetric type I saw on any other board thought Clemens was the clear favorite.

This issue is a matter of opinion. Get over it. I've said it before, but if you don't like what I have to say, don't reply to me.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

For me, it all depended on the relationship of ERA to IP. Sure, given two "everything else equal" pitchers, give me the guy with the lower ERA (especially with the disparity b/w Clemens). But when Carpenter was getting close to Clemens with 30-40 more innings, then there was debate.

All I wanted was why you had your opinion, I got it, I said ok.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    DePodesta won the division with Evans' team and then made changes that put the team in a worse place last year than it had been before he took over.
    The Dodgers never went to the playoffs with Dan Evans as the GM. Of course it wasn't entirely Evans' fault as News Corp. tightened the purse while it was looking to sell the team, but Evans served the same number of seasons as the GM as DePodesta and during that time the team were in first place around the summer and then collapsed down the stretch because Evans couldn't or wouldn't acquire the bat the team needed. If you believe DePo won the division with Evans' team (nevermind that Steve Finley, who hit the division-clinching homerun, was acquired by DePo) then by the same logic, if Gillick or whoever is the next GM wins the division with the current group, whose contracts are not likely to be moved, then he would be winning with DePodesta's team.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    For all DePo's "bad" moves and all the injuries, they only had 2 less wins than the Reds this year. That should tell you something about your own team CRF

MLB ERA
    The Reds had a bad year. Some have nothing of value to add to the discussion, so they bring up issues that have nothing to do with the issue at hand. I never disagreed with the idea that the Reds weren't good this past year or the few years before that. Your arguments have so many holes that you go ranting on off-topic issues.

As I said before, some need to get over their obsession with Reds fans. Most of us know O'Brien is awful and the team isn't good. That doesn't mean we can't critique others who do a poor job too.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    ironic to say the least

You should worry about your own team before you worry about other teams. Your GM sucks. Worrying about other GMs and saying how bad other GMs are doesn't change the fact that your GM sucks.

MLB ERA
    When did I say it changed the fact? Is there some rule that someone can't post about the shortcomings of one team because there own team isn't playing well?

I guess all of the sports writers in cities that have poor MLB teams should never think of critiquing something another team does since their own team isn't very good. That makes no sense.

It's not like I'm trying to say the Reds are great right now and another team is bad. There have been plenty of posts on the Reds board by other fans about how the Reds have done this or that wrong and that they aren't a very good organization. That doesn't mean they can't do that just because their own team is even worse.

This is a general MLB discussion board. I don't get the angle you're coming from here.

MLB ERA
    you're the one trying to tell people what they can and can't say, where they can and can't say it, and so on.

And you're not a sports writer so that has nothing to do with this at all.

Your point was that you were saying everything DePo did was horrible. My point was that for all he did wrong they did about the same as the Reds. Perhaps that GM should be fired, too.

MLB ERA
    They are both terrible. I'm going to be a sports writer and I can have any opinion I want to have.

When did I tell anyone what they could and couldn't say? I stated my opinion about DePodesta. Get over it.

The only time I will tell anyone what they say is wrong(different than telling someone what to say) is when they ignore empirical evidence and facts.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    My point was that for all he did wrong they did about the same as the Reds. Perhaps that GM should be fired, too.
    Perhaps?

If Dan O was in any other job he would of been fired SO LONG ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234