Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 10/12 Angels @ White Sox ALCS Game 2

Rookie ERA
    you missed a crazy play

MLB ERA
    Sox win 2-1!

Great finish!

Angels staring out from dugout angrily.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA
    White sox win

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    umpire needs to be kicked off the postseason crew.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    What a load of shit.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That ump is gonna get hell in Anahiem.

AAA ERA
    I hate when the umpire makes themself the story of the game.

Rookie ERA
    He made a call, I doubt he did it to get himself in the lime light. Why didnt Paul tag AJ? The game is also 9 innings, so the Angels had plenty of chances to put this game out of reach.

AAA ERA
    You're right. I didn't mean to suggest that Eddings had any motive behind what happened. But the storyline of Game 2 is not Crede's game winning hit.

Paul didn't tag AJ because the Ump called him out. I'm not an Angels or White Sox fan, so as a non-biased observer, I say the umpire botched the whole thing up. Everyone on the field (including AJ) was headed for the dugout immediately after the play. It was obvious to everyone on the field that AJ was out. You're right that it shouldn't be close enough for the umpire to decide the game, but on the other hand you don't want to see such an exciting game come down to an Umpire's botched call. Doug Eddings basically gave the Sox a 4th out in the ninth inning. The Angels got 3 outs in the ninth inning and should have gotten the oppertunity to bat in the 10th.

Just my 2 cents.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    The ump did not call AJ out. He was motioning it was a strike. He does that for all of his strike calls, just go watch any replay of the game, and he calls all the strikes that way. He did not call AJ out though, and thats when AJ realized it and ran to first. The call? If there was instant replay, it would be to hard to overturn because it was to close. They zoomed in on the ball last night on one show and i swear i saw the ball bounce into the glove barely at the last second. So if there was replay in baseball, i dont think they would of overturned it. It was close though and i really hated to see the sox win like this. But ill take it

MLB ERA
    First of all, Paul didn't drop the ball. Open your eyes dude. That isn't even really debatable. And second, the guy says that he punches every strike? That sounds like a load of crap, I didn't notice any of his 2nd strike calls, but he shouldn't have a job if he is going to punch every strike.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I never said Paul dropped the ball, im saying the ball bounced into Paul's glove and thats what the ump thought. The ump didnt say he dropped the ball, he said it bounced into his glove.(I saw them interviewing him after the game). And second, if you watch baseball tonight. Harold Reynolds even pointed out my point, how the ump punches every strike? If you watch the game, thats what he does. He makes three signs if its a strike out with a swing and a miss. One means no contact, the other a strike, and if he makes a third punch, that means he is out.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Migraine1
    The ump did not call AJ out. He was motioning it was a strike. He does that for all of his strike calls, just go watch any replay of the game, and he calls all the strikes that way.
    Um ... Actually, the umpire did call Pierzynski out. And he changed his call afterwards. For example, in the 5th inning, with the bases loaded, Donnelly struck out Jermaine Dye and the umpire gave the exact same strikeout motion that he did in the 9th inning that you seem to think it's to indicate a strike.

Also, Jon Miller on ESPN Radio called a strikeout. FOX called a strikeout. John Rooney who does White Sox pbp also called a strikeout. Why? Because the ump called a strikeout.

Anyways, whether the ball touched the ground or not is irrelevant here. The umpire used the same motion to call a strikeout all game long. He called Pierzynski out and that's that.

By the way, what is up with Escobar throwing a fastball to Crede? NO ONE was touching Escobar's splitter.

MLB ERA
    I never said Paul dropped the ball, im saying the ball bounced into Paul's glove and thats what the ump thought. The ump didnt say he dropped the ball, he said it bounced into his glove.(I saw them interviewing him after the game).
    Blah, you know what I meant. The ball didn't hit the ground before it hit Paul's glove.

AAA ERA
    The ump did not call AJ out. He was motioning it was a strike. He does that for all of his strike calls, just go watch any replay of the game, and he calls all the strikes that way. He did not call AJ out though, and thats when AJ realized it and ran to first. The call? If there was instant replay, it would be to hard to overturn because it was to close. They zoomed in on the ball last night on one show and i swear i saw the ball bounce into the glove barely at the last second. So if there was replay in baseball, i dont think they would of overturned it. It was close though and i really hated to see the sox win like this. But ill take it
    Closed fist + Fist pump + take the mask off + look off the field = YER OUT!! The defense should not have to count fist pumps and calculate arm trajectory, and subtract head nods to determine whether or not the guy struck out. You're not even kidding yourself when you say that the ump called strike 3 not out. And I'll assume you're kidding by telling us the ball bounced. Eddings was just on damage control when he said that trash after the game. Just tell it like it is: AJ got over. Pulled a fast one. And the only thing keeping Mike Scioscia from blowing a gasket (rightfully so) was the fact that this crew has to work the rest of the series.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast