Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of the Night: AL Division Series, BOS @ CWS-Game 2

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Game of the Night: AL Division Series, BOS @ CWS-Game 2

vs

After the disaster we saw yesterday for the reigning champs, can they rebound? Let's hear some predicitions. The game is on at 7 PM EST on ESPN.

Code:
    Boston Red Sox Batters
    J. Damon, CF
    E. Renteria, SS
    D. Ortiz, DH
    M. Ramirez, LF
    J. Varitek, C
    T. Nixon, RF
    B. Mueller, 3B	
    J. Olerud, 1B
    T. Graffanino, 2B

Boston Red Sox Pitching
    D. Wells

Chicago White Sox Batters
    S. Podsednik, LF
    T. Iguchi, 2B
    J. Dye, RF
    P. Konerko, 1B
    C. Everett, DH
    A. Rowand, CF
    A. Pierzynski, C
    J. Crede, 3B
    J. Uribe, SS

Chicago White Sox Pitching
    M. Buehrle

Red Sox-White Sox Preview
    GAME: Boston Red Sox at Chicago White Sox.
    SERIES: AL Division Series; White Sox, 1-0.
    TIME: Wednesday, 7:09 p.m. EDT.

This is the type of opportunity David Wells relishes most.

The burly left-hander will try to live up to his big game reputation when the Boston Red Sox play Game 2 of the AL division series against the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field.

Wells, who is 10-3 with a 3.18 ERA in 25 career postseason appearances, will try to get the defending World Series champions even in this best-of-five after Tuesday's humbling 14-2 loss to the AL Central champions.

''It's nice when you get a game like this, but we've played enough of the other ones to not expect this,'' said White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who homered and drove in two runs Tuesday.

''I don't think we really felt comfortable until we were up eight, 10 runs.''

Wells, 42, went a long way toward solidifying his legacy as a clutch pitcher on Friday, beating the New York Yankees 5-3 in the opener of a regular season-ending three-game set at Fenway Park. Wells allowed three runs and six hits over seven innings, preventing the Red Sox from falling two games out of first place with two to play.

''How can you not want out there when the game is on the line, pitch a big game?,'' said Wells during Tuesday's pregame press conference.

''We play hard all year long to get to this point, and I think, you know, this is where you can shine. You can make a name for yourself, and you can set the tone. You can -- there is a whole lot of things that you can do in this situation. You just can't be afraid. I think that's the bottom line.''

Wells is 5-1 with a 3.10 ERA in seven career division series starts, but that doesn't stop the 42-year-old southpaw from feeling the weight of postseason pressure.

''Everybody is nervous. I still get nervous, but once you get into it and make your pitches, then the game goes on and you can't really worry about it,'' said Wells, who pitched for Chicago during an injury-plagued 2001 campaign, going 5-7 in 16 starts.

''I think if you have that in the back of your mind, that, I don't want to -- you know, I can't give up these hits, I can't give up runs, you're already done. You've got to go out there with a positive attitude.''

Jose Contreras tamed Boston for 7 2-3 strong innings in Game 1, allowing two runs and eight hits while striking out six without a walk. The Cuban right-hander had plenty of help from his offense as the White Sox hit five homers, including two by catcher A.J. Pierzynski, as Boston starter Matt Clement lasted just 3 1-3 innings.

Mark Buehrle will try to give the White Sox a commanding 2-0 lead. The left-hander, who is 16 years younger than Wells, flourished at home this year, going 10-2 with a 2.48 ERA in 17 starts. This year's AL All-Star game starter pitched an inning of scoreless relief during Chicago's last trip to the postseason in 2000.

The White Sox were swept by Seattle in that year's ALDS, a fate they avoided with Tuesday's emphatic victory, taking some pressure off Buehrle.

''I'm sure I'll have some nerves going tomorrow,'' said Buehrle. ''I'll just go out there and try to throw 0s. I know (Wells is) going to go out there and do what Boomer does. Especially in postseason, he's a big game pitcher. I'll do as much as I can to give our team a chance to win.''

Game 3 is Friday in Boston.
    Article Link

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Other info and notes from the same link.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Red Sox - Wild-card winner. White Sox - AL Central champions.

PROJECTED LINEUPS: Red Sox: CF Johnny Damon (.316, 10 HRs, 75 RBIs, 117 runs, 18 SBs), SS Edgar Renteria (.276, 8, 70, 100), DH David Ortiz (.300, 47, 148, 119, 102 BBs), LF Manny Ramirez (.292, 45, 144, 112), RF Trot Nixon (.275, 13, 67), C Jason Varitek (.281, 22, 70), 1B Kevin Millar (.272, 9, 50), 3B Bill Mueller (.295, 10, 62), 2B Tony Graffanino (.309, 7, 38). White Sox: LF Scott Podsednik (.290, 59 SBs), 2B Tadahito Iguchi (.278, 15 HRs, 71 RBIs, 15 SBs), RF Jermaine Dye (.274, 31, 86), 1B Konerko (.283, 40, 100, 98 runs), DH Carl Everett (.251, 23, 87), CF Aaron Rowand (.270, 13, 69, 16 SBs), C Pierzynski (.257, 18, 56), 3B Joe Crede (.252, 22, 62), SS Juan Uribe (.252, 16, 71).

RED SOX PROBABLE STARTING PITCHER: Wells (15-7, 4.45 ERA). Wells went 4-1 with a 4.50 ERA in six September starts. He is 8-8 with a 4.58 ERA in 34 career appearances, including 23 starts, against the White Sox. On the road this year, he went 7-6 with a 5.56 ERA in 18 outings.

WHITE SOX PROBABLE STARTING PITCHER: Buehrle (16-8, 3.12 ERA). Buehrle pitched 5 2-3 scoreless innings in Chicago's 3-2 win at Cleveland on Friday. He went 2-1 with a 3.38 ERA in six September starts. Buehrle is 4-2 with a 3.99 ERA in nine career appearances, including eight starts, against the Red Sox.

REGULAR SEASON SERIES: Red Sox, 4-3.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Red Sox - The Red Sox are in the playoffs as the AL wild card for the third straight year. They've qualified as a wild card five times overall. ... OF Ramirez went 0-for-4 on Tuesday, ending his 18-game postseason hitting streak. ... DH Ortiz is 13-for-37 (.351) with a homer in his career against LHP Buehrle. White Sox - The White Sox are trying to end a championship drought that's even longer than the one Boston faced a year ago. It dates way back to the days of Shoeless Joe Jackson and their most recent World Series crown in 1917, the last time they won any playoff series at all. ... OF Podsednik didn't homer during the entire regular season, but connected for a three-run shot off Boston reliever Jeremi Gonzalez in Game 1. ... The White Sox posted their first playoff victory since 1993.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Red Sox - 0-1 on the road. White Sox - 1-0 at home.
    Link

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Buehrle against Wells ... give me Buehrle any day. White Sox will go up 2-0 and ready for the sweep.

AAA ERA
    I think the Red Sox get a good start out of Wells tonight and tie up the series. These guys aren't going to roll over this early.

I think the Sox will win tonight, something to the effect of 5-3. I expect Wells to have a very solid game (hoping 7 IP/3 ER), then Papelbon-Timlin for the hold and save. Buehrle has been fantastic this year but they actually had some notable success against him this season. I think it will be 1-1 heading back to Fenway...but it's quite possible Chicago will win. I'd put it at an overally 55/45 shot, it all depends on Wells and if Buehrle is on.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    White Sox 7 Red Sox 2

And screw you ESPN! Why isn't there a night game on Fox? They have crap on Wednesdays anyway

MLB ERA
    Red Sox 7
    White Sox 4

MLB ERA
    Crede can't get to a Damon hit. One on already.

MLB ERA
    Renteria rips a double to left. Damon gets to 3rd.

Papi is up with nobody out.

MLB ERA
    Ortiz K's. Chases a bad pitch for strike 3.

Manny's up.

MLB ERA
    Manny drives a pitch to the center field wall and drives in both runners. He only ends up with a single.

2-0 Red Sox.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Sox started it off strong tonight!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    no! Let's go White Sox! May the Red Sox and all their fans be vanquished without honor!

MLB ERA
    Varitek grounds into fielder's choice. Nixon check swings and grounds out to the pitcher. Could've been worse for the White Sox.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    no! Let's go White Sox! May the Red Sox and all their fans be vanquished without honor!
    hahaha! Nice blunt post there bro!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast