Thread: Baseball steroid policy to be changed for the better?

Baseball steroid policy to be changed for the better?

The MLBPA is willing to adjust the steroid policy so that first-time offenders will get 20-game rather than 10-day suspensions and will agree to amphetamine tests under a proposal to commissioner Bud Selig.
    First-time offenders for amphetamine would receive treatment, with discipline starting with a second offense. For steroids, the possibility that a first-time offender's suspension could rise up to 30 games if there were aggravating factors, or be lowered to as few as 10 games if an arbitrator finds mitigating factors. The penalty for a second positive steroid test increase from 30 days to 75 games, with the possibility an arbitrator could increase it to as many as 100 games or lower it to as few as 50 games. A third positive test could lead to a permanent ban.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i could live with the second offense. but the first one isnt enough. good ol players union. only going a little ways.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

They're baby steps, but they're something.

Rookie ERA
    yea it's good to see they are progressing twords harsher penalitys

AA ERA
    Stricter is always better and I'd take what we can get.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    The MLBPA is willing to adjust the steroid policy so that first-time offenders will get 20-game rather than 10-day suspensions and will agree to amphetamine tests under a proposal to commissioner Bud Selig.
    First-time offenders for amphetamine would receive treatment, with discipline starting with a second offense. For steroids, the possibility that a first-time offender's suspension could rise up to 30 games if there were aggravating factors, or be lowered to as few as 10 games if an arbitrator finds mitigating factors. The penalty for a second positive steroid test increase from 30 days to 75 games, with the possibility an arbitrator could increase it to as many as 100 games or lower it to as few as 50 games. A third positive test could lead to a permanent ban.

It should be 30 games straight up, no arby, cause all that does is make it go back down to the original 10 games. I do not buy this at all.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    You guys are missing the key component.

and will agree to amphetamine tests under a proposal to commissioner Bud Selig.
    This a a major step in cleaning up the game. 20 games is good enough for now and the three strikes you're out policy will be more than effective.

Stats dont lie, morons do Bob Sacamento's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    You guys are missing the key component.

This a a major step in cleaning up the game. 20 games is good enough for now and the three strikes you're out policy will be more than effective.
    Yeah everyone forgets that amphetamine has been around with baseball much longer than roids. They were hot around the 70's-80's with many speedsters needing their "greenies" to get through the days games after late nights of partying.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I liked seeing Senator McCain eat a bowl of Fehr.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I still don't like the whole 3rd time and maybe you're out. Doesn't work for me. My plan:

1st offense: 50 game ban, $1,000,000 fine or half year's pay (whichever is less).

2nd offense: Lifetime ban, full year's pay fine.

Rookie ERA
    I still don't like the whole 3rd time and maybe you're out. Doesn't work for me. My plan:

1st offense: 50 game ban, $1,000,000 fine or half year's pay (whichever is less).

2nd offense: Lifetime ban, full year's pay fine.
    Well what the guys like Michael Morse of the Mariners? He's already tested positive three times. Now before you judge, consider that he took the roids (and admitted to it) almost two years ago when he severely tore a leg muscle. But it's still in his system, trace amounts, but enough for a ban by the MLB. Doctors from Oregon Health and Science University testified that with the third world steroids that he took, it can be in his body for up to 4 years! All from one incident.

That's one incident then. See first offense.

Rookie ERA
    That's one incident then. See first offense.
    Yes it's one incident, but he's tested positive three seperate times over the last two years. Making it appear that he's done steroids more than one incident. And recently his case went to an arbitrator, and despite what the doctors testified to about the tiny tiny amount left in his system. He was still given a suspension, and told if he tested positive again, he'd be suspended again.