Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should MLB move some teams?

Should MLB move some teams?

Last night there was only 10,000 fans at the Oakland/Toronto game (in Oakland). Last week the Jays were in Tampa Bay, and they only got 20,000 out for their HOME OPENER.

I think MLB should look at moving these teams. Several cities wanted the Expos, so why should either of these cities be allowed to keep a major league team if the interest (or financial support) is there?

[/flamesuit on]

MLB ERA
    I say yes....

Certain clubs are either too close together.. and certain clubs are in areas that simply won't support the team....

IMHO there are cities that have the population/money/will to have a team... Las Vegas, New Orleans, etc.... Get the Jays out of Toronto, remove one of the Bay teams, or whatever... give some new places a shot

MLB ERA
    There are just too many teams, period.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDave
    ...Get the Jays out of Toronto, remove one of the Bay teams, or whatever... give some new places a shot
    I hope you're joking. Toronto is (I believe) the 5th largest NA market. Even with a horrible team last year, they were still averaging over 23,000 people a game. In the early 90's, Toronto had the top payroll in MLB.

MLB ERA
    One of the lowest attendance averages in the league, in that 5th lagerst market

MLB ERA
    I say yes....

Certain clubs are either too close together.. and certain clubs are in areas that simply won't support the team....

IMHO there are cities that have the population/money/will to have a team... Las Vegas, New Orleans, etc.... Get the Jays out of Toronto, remove one of the Bay teams, or whatever... give some new places a shot
    Ugh, don't move any team to New Orleans, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

MLB ERA
    just given as an example... not supporting it for such an endeavor

One of the lowest attendance averages in the league, in that 5th lagerst market
    So based on the fact that attendance is in the bottom third for a losing team, they should be moved?

Hope you're not ever in a position to make big decisions like that. That comment is probably more fueled by anti-canadian sentiment than knowledge.

MLB ERA
    1.. they have consistantly been near the bottom.. much like Montreal WAS consistantly at the bottom... can you read into that and possibly assume that Canadiens do not support baseball as well?? Sure you could....

2. As for anti-Canuck... not really... as for not wanting a team outside the US (next logical assumption)... not reall.. I would not mind P.R. having a team IF they support it (for example)....

IMHO the 2 teams that should most probably be moved ate TB and TOR, if 2 teams were to be chosen to move

1.. they have consistantly been near the bottom.. much like Montreal WAS consistantly at the bottom... can you read into that and possibly assume that Canadiens do not support baseball as well?? Sure you could....

2. As for anti-Canuck... not really... as for not wanting a team outside the US (next logical assumption)... not reall.. I would not mind P.R. having a team IF they support it (for example)....

IMHO the 2 teams that should most probably be moved ate TB and TOR, if 2 teams were to be chosen to move
    Wow, this discussion is not even worth having.

MLB ERA
    New York can support a third major league team quite easily.

MLB ERA
    What teams have CONSISTENTLY had attendace rates at home UNDER 50% And it's not like Toronto has the excuse of small market

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Definately, but how long would it take to get a fanbase going? Most new yorkers are pretty much hardcore mets or yankees fans, I don't think there are too many undecideds.

They could just move all the New York teams (and Boston) into one division.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    I dunno know about that now

What teams have CONSISTENTLY had attendace rates at home UNDER 50% And it's not like Toronto has the excuse of small market
    Skydome (err...Roger Center) holds almost 60,000 people. You're going to base popularity based on capacity of the stadium?

For the last several years, Skydome has been owned by a big company (Sportsco) which is based in Chicago. They didn't care about the stadium, just about collecting rent from the Jays and the Argos (CFL team). They never spent any money updating the stadium or improving it in any way. Even the concession and washrooms were a joke. The turf and the scoreboards looked out of date and worn out. Can you blame fans for not wanting to go?

Now that the team owns the stadium, they have spent several millions putting in new turf, scoreboards, and giving the entire stadium a facelift. I wouldn't be surprised if they averaged over 30,000 fans a game (especially if the Jays are playing meaningful games in August).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast