Thread: It's Been A While

MLB ERA

Braves It's Been A While

How's everyone doing? It seems like it's been forever. Based on my latest post, I was last here back in Jan of 2020. A lot has happened in those 3 years. Covid, my own medical problems, moved twice, retired from the military, Georgia Bulldogs won back-to-back National Championships, and of course, the Braves won the World Series in 2021.

I need a place to discuss baseball again. FB groups are flooded with people who can not admit when they're wrong. Hate when people give opinions that don't align with theirs. The only Braves fans I know of are pretty much family but I'm the only one that watches every game including playoffs.

I am looking to stick around now that I'm retired.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: It's Been A While

Hey, good to see you! What have you thought about the Braves offseason?

Hope your health is on the up and up in 2024!

MLB ERA

Braves Re: It's Been A While

My health is okay but I have a back issue where I was told by one doctor, that I will probably never run again. I've been dealing with this even before the last time I was here. I estimated around 2018 I believe and my gallbladder had to be taken out and they nearly didn't catch it in time. The second ER visit was when someone finally realized what the issue was. Now, just hoping to find a way to get healthier now that I'm 40.

I wasn't too happy honestly until recently when I took a look at the roster. I've estimated our rotation as the following:

#Name
    1Strider
    2Fried
    3Morton
    4Sale

I'd say Morton and Sale can swap depending on Spring Training and performance throughout the season. With Sale's extension, we are hoping he can stay healthy and pitch like his former all-star self. The following are 5th starter options in my opinion:

Name2023 Stats
    Bryce Elder31 Games/12-4/3.81 ERA/174.2 IP/63 BB/128 K
    Allan Winans6 Games/1-2/5.29 ERA/32.1 IP/8 BB/34 K
    Huascar YnoaTommy John Sept 2022/Expecting his return for Spring Training but he is young so we'll see how he does
    Ian AndersonTommy John April 2023/Expecting his return in June or July

Our position players I believe are set as well but they will need to fill the 40-man roster. Spring Training like with the 5th SP, will decide the final list. I'm expecting the following:

PosName
    CSean Murphy & Travis d'Arnaud
    1BMatt Olson
    2BOzzie Albies
    3BAustin Riley
    SSOrlando Arcia
    LFJarred Kelenic & Forrest Wall
    CFMichael Harris II
    RFRonald Acuna Jr.
    DHMarcell Ozuna

Spring Training will determine I'm sure who will be on the bench as utility and give them rest throughout the season. Someone playing all 162 games is hard to do but if allowed these days would be nice we don't see that too often. Acuna wanted to play all games last season but he missed 3 games I don't think it was due to injury.

Here are some of a few key players that they parted ways with:

NameNew TeamThoughts
    Michael Soroka (SP)White SoxThis was around mid-Nov and I wasn't surprised but I hated to see it. Soroka was one of the pieces we believed would be a top #1 or #2 starter but the injury bug got to him with 2 TJ surgeries
    Nicky Lopez (3B/IN/P?)White SoxAn entertaining one-year player for us that was fun to watch. A utility player off the bench and even pitched 2 games. The first was against the Mets in Aug and didn't give up 1 hit in his 1 inning. However, in September he gave up 4 hits and 2 runs in 1.1 innings. Was was hoping he would get to stay another year and see if he could develop
    Kyle Wright (SP)RoyalsI think I was surprised by this move. He pitched well for us in 2021 and helped secure that World Series but he was out most of last season due to shoulder issues
    Vaughn Grissom (SS)Red SoxA lot of rumors surrounding Grissom for trade bait. I was hoping he could develop but his defense has held him back and with Arcia, guess they felt this was the time to get a starter (Chris Sale). Grissom will most likely play 2B for the Sox so hopefully he can play well for them
    Last edited by DravenX; 01-05-2024 at 01:00 AM.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

Yes, let's bring this place back to life!
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think the Sale pickup could be sneaky good. I feel like too many have written him off and as you know with heath, its not one to be taken for granted. That said, I think getting out of the AL East and to the Braves coaching staff will do a lot. If he stays healthy, I like his chances to really bounce back (definitely a fantasy candidate to watch too.) The contract extension in particular I think will be good for both sides if he has his health (less pitching to prove it for his next contract, plus knowing his new team supports him.)

I know there were rumors of the Braves getting in on the Cease sweepstakes. If the asking price was anything like the Reds supposedly were asked, you'd be glad they passed. I like Cease and think he is probably better than last year maybe not quite what he showed in 21. That said, even with two years of control, I don't think he is a pitcher to win a pivotal playoff game to the same degree of confidence that an ace would be. I think he can flash ace, but his returning level is really good number two. If he had more years of control, or looked more ace than number two (on a good staff), I think the ask would be worth it.

For the Braves I hope they get a competent shortstop for the bench (or utility.) I don't know the team as well as you do, but worry if Arcia gets injured.

But on your personal note, I am glad they got that just in time and will be wishing you ever improving health in 24!