Thread: Bradley/Kent feud in the Dodger clubhouse

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bradley/Kent feud in the Dodger clubhouse

Linky Link

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Tension hits breaking point
    The Bradley-Kent feud could ruin any shot the Dodgers have to win the West.

By STEVE BISHEFF
    The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES – The powder keg was placed in the middle of the Dodgers clubhouse the day they announced Jeff Kent and his sandpaper personality had signed with the same team that employed Mr. Anger Management, Milton Bradley.

It was never a matter of if an explosion between two of baseball's most volatile players would occur.

Only a matter of when.

Unfortunately for beleaguered Manager Jim Tracy, it has come at a time when the Dodgers already were hanging on the edge of contention by a thin, blue thread.

That thread might have snapped a couple of hours before Tuesday night's game at Dodger Stadium when the Kent-Bradley rift that had surfaced in Florida on Saturday morphed into an ugly controversy thick with racial overtones.

"The problem," Bradley said, just for starters, "is that he (Kent) doesn't know how to deal with African-American people."

"He can go ahead and say those type of things," Kent countered. "It comes from an incident he still doesn't get, and that's a shame.

"If you think I do (have issues with race)," Kent said, "go ask Dusty Baker or Joe Carter. I take issue with that."

Funny, but Kent didn't say anything about checking with Barry Bonds.

Bradley wound up a late scratch from Tuesday's lineup because of what was described as "irritation of the left patella tendon."

But clearly, the center fielder's irritation went much deeper than that.

Bradley said there wasn't any one thing Kent said that offended him. Instead, he explained there were a pattern of comments.

"There are things he said off the cuff that I don't interpret as funny," he said. "I think it may be funny to him and maybe Jeff Foxworthy, but it's not funny to Milton Bradley."

None of this is funny to Tracy, either. Somehow, the manager has to try to negotiate a truce between two parties who seem as far apart as some factions in the Middle East.

"We've begun the process already," Tracy said. "When the two sit down (together), we want it to be in a normal tone of voice where we can discuss it in a manner where we hope something good comes out of it."

Good luck with that.

Brad and Jen are closer than these two at the moment.

As far as anyone knows, the already less-than-warm feelings between the two players were exacerbated Saturday when the second baseman, reportedly upset with Bradley's baserunning, called out the center fielder in front of his teammates.

Tracy acknowledged Tuesday he heard voices rising and "furniture moving around" after that game, and he was concerned enough to race into the clubhouse.

Kent thought he was just being a veteran doing what is expected of him. Bradley thought it was demeaning.

"At no time am I going to let somebody question my hustle, question my injury or question my motivation for playing," Bradley said Tuesday.

He went on to describe Kent as something other than a role model.

If you want to be a leader, he said, "You can't have your locker in the corner of every clubhouse we go to on the road. You can't put your headphones on and sit in the corner reading motocross magazines.

"I follow his footsteps and the things that he does on the field. As far as off the field, he has no clue about leadership."

Unfortunately for Bradley, the one man he acknowledges as his leader seems to have taken Kent's side in some of this. Tracy, whom Bradley has described as "my Pops," was asked if he thought race was involved in this dispute.

"My response to that, knowing Jeff Kent personally from having managed him almost a full season," Tracy said, "is that I don't think Jeff Kent is particular at all if he has something to say to somebody."

Was he hinting that Bradley saw something that wasn't there?

"Absolutely, that's what I'm saying," Tracy said. "He (Kent) is a vicious, vicious competitor."

The manager went on to say these are two guys "who are vicious competitors."

At one point Tuesday, Bradley complained he went to slap hands or fists, or whatever they slap now, with Kent in Florida, and the second baseman pulled his hand away.

"No, it never happened," said Kent. "I never pulled my hand away."

Does that sound like a major issue on a franchise that always has been proud of its history dealing with interracial matters?

These are the Dodgers, remember, the team that signed Jackie Robinson to break the color line in the 1940s. The organization that had Roy Campanella and Don Newcombe and Robinson in its lineup before some clubs had even one black player signed to a minor-league contract.

The Dodgers are supposed to lead the way when it comes to racial groundbreaking. Not find themselves up to their waistbands in ugly racial innuendoes.

"I'm not the first manager who has had to deal with skirmishes," said Tracy, trying his best to play down the problem.

OK, but this isn't something you can just shrug off, either. Two of the team's prominent players have made it clear they can't stand each other. And now one of them has thrown in the race card.

Be assured of one thing: At least one of them won't be here on opening day, 2006.

The question remains, however, what do you with both for the final 37 games of a season already overflowing with turmoil?

"Do you think this thing between you two can get settled?" Bradley was asked in front of his third or fourth media cluster Tuesday.

"I think it's already been settled," he said.

You hear that, and you suspect solving the problem might not be the first priority.

At least in Bradley's case, recognizing the problem might be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Come on now, that story didn't need to be thrown all over the place.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Come on now, that story didn't need to be thrown all over the place.
    Hey LW, be glad I didn't post it in the Dogs forum.....I thought about it and decided against it because I am not a Dog fan. I call that respect son.....You know damn good and well that if it was any other players in the league you or anyone else around here'd be all over it like white on rice...
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well, I stayed away from the one thread about ARod and him choosing to play for the Dominican Republic. That one thread, as Porter said, led to the creation of the forum Around the Horn, which I won't be participating in anymore because it's all about who can pull out the most stats of a player.

MLB ERA
    Well, I stayed away from the one thread about ARod and him choosing to play for the Dominican Republic. That one thread, as Porter said, led to the creation of the forum Around the Horn, which I won't be participating in anymore because it's all about who can pull out the most stats of a player.
    Sorry to hear that.....but you know what? You can post whatever you want over in the Angels forum, I don't care, just post something pleeze.......it gets SO lonely over there.

You know what else? I meant to tell, you I was just giving you a hard time about your avatar. I always forget about the sim leagues and everything else they have going on here that I don't participate in.....the lowly D'bags need fans too and 777 might like some company in his forum as well......

As for Candyland and Kent.....it's always something isn't it?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't hate the Anaheim Angels like other LA fans. That one Fox poll during the Angels-Giants World Series about whom did Dodger fans wanted to win and the majority chose the Giants were probably from either LA fans on crack or troll callers.

I do post at the Angels forum. As for my latest avatar, it goes with my sig. Besides, LA has twice traded its All-Star catchers for half a dozen Florida players. I dig the Penny acquisition a lot, though.

MLB ERA
    I noticed you now have a Marlins avatar. Do you miss Paulie? I do. I don't get to see him much anymore. He's one of my fave catchers. And Mota is still going strong......

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Paulie is a great guy and good player. Both he and Dave Roberts cried when they were leaving the team and that kind of made the fans turn on DePodesta. Classy for both to each send a thank you message to the fans. Jason Phillips isn't hitting but can't complain too much. Any player exchanged for Ishii is better. As for Mota, DePodesta almost destroyed the bullpen by thinking Dreifort could replace Mota in the setup role. The team could surely use Mota now, but he hasn't been lights out for the Fish either.

MLB ERA
    I had completely forgotten about that Paulie and Roberts thing in the tunnel. Seems like a long time ago, but was just a little more than a year ago...Depo really blew it huh, and they really have never recovered. Many long time Dog fans have been heard slam dunking the guy over those bonehead moves. Hell, I'm still pissed that Paulie is gone.....

MLB ERA

I was expecting to read some nasty racial slurs. God damnit, what a let down.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    What about PTCI? AKA Pardon the Copyright Infringement?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by riverdunesrat
    Sorry to hear that.....but you know what? You can post whatever you want over in the Angels forum, I don't care, just post something pleeze.......it gets SO lonely over there.
    I've been posting stuff over there almost every day!

MLB ERA

Angels

I know you do. That was to realmofo, and he visits sometimes too....it's just so lonely....I gotta open up that Pub.....

MLB ERA

Angels

Quote Originally Posted by ATLien

I was expecting to read some nasty racial slurs. God damnit, what a let down.
    Well, it's not in the SMAK forum for a reason....but feel free to slurr on ATLien, we wouldn't want you to be disappointed.....

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Open up the Pub. That'll get Saber to show up for once.