The 2014 season technically starts this Saturday in Australia with a 2 game series between the LA Dodgers and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Yesterday, the Dodgers beat the Australian Team and the D-Backs played them today and lost. It has become clear that MLB especially Bud Selig would like this practice to continue in the future. It has been lucrative monetarily (games almost always sell out though not yet for this weekend) as well as promoting MLB on a global scale. There has been some complaints, live coverage from the other side of the world airs in the middle of the night here. There have been speculations that injuries and fatigue could hinder players once they return, but there has been no evidence so far that these trips have caused long term problems during the regular season.

Only once has a team finished worse than the previous season and that trip wasn't overseas. Players have mentioned jet lag more so on the return, but only a handful have openly expressed a real dislike for the idea of the extensive travel. Then there has been those that think it diminishes the true "Opening Day" spirit here at home.

The Rays went to Japan in 2004 and other then being tired I don't remember any real complaints from players. With the games that count being played 2 weeks before everyone else it hasn't spoiled Opening Day for me and I still look forward to the Home Opener like a 9 year-old.

Anybody got any personal thoughts on this, especially those of you whose teams have made these trips?