Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1102

Thread: 2014 Season of Shenanigans

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: 2014 Season of Shenanigans

I guess it wouldn't have matter who he pitched for
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

meh, true enough. fuck him anyway

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I thought the Yankees didn't want him?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nah, The Yankees wanted to sign him. He just liked the idea of the Twins singing him more.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    News Flash...........ESPN sucks! True Keith Olberman style when he says that Jeter should just retire after the home game instead of finishing out the season, no surprise coming from a guy that quit on real sports journalism years ago. Just the usual sour grapes from a guy that can't hit, throw, or catch a ball trying to poo poo a guy with a great baseball career.

Oh my, he ONLY has five World Series rings, how many players would have given their left NUT just to BE in one let alone win 5? Complete idiot douchebag!!!!
    Wow. I'm not trying to diminish Jeter's career and I don't think Keith was either. He certainly wasn't diminishing the titles, but rather Jeter was not the main factor in those early titles. I thought the whole point was that it's all been over-hyped. That, yes, of course he had a great career...just not as great as most are trying to make it seem. That's what I gathered out of it. I found a lot of those statistics telling. Putting his opinion aside, what did you think about the stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Nah, The Yankees wanted to sign him. He just liked the idea of the Twins singing him more.
    So the Twins serenaded him?

MLB ERA

Perhaps this video is better? I had no idea Jeter only hit 1 Grand Slam in 20 years.

WTF? I put in video format. Why won't it post properly?
    Last edited by Providence A's; 09-25-2014 at 02:50 PM.

MLB ERA

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    Perhaps this video is better? I had no idea Jeter only hit 1 Grand Slam in 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_gDjME_Fw

WTF? I put in video format. Why won't it post properly?
    The forum doesn't like it if you keep the s in "https". You have to delete that then it works.

I actually just posted a thread with this mentioning that I'm sure someone alluded to it in the forums somewhere. I had no idea that just happened as I was posting, lol
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Weird. Thanks.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witlon View Post
    Phil Hughes is sang like T Pain
    Ted

Rookie ERA

I have been hearing some that believe this is all tongue in cheek and while yes, at times he seems to be sarcastic, this is how Gooblermann operates. He was the same when he was on MSNBC, however, he and it seems many others are completely missing the point on why there is the hype. In the piece Oblerman even pokes fun of Posada because he mentions the reason...... I played with him, I SAW him play.

That is a HUGE factor in why there is the hype, we've actually gotten to SEE him, no stories relayed, no old footage to view and he's not dead receiving decades of posthumous adulation like the Yankee greats of old!

Well, Prov let's look at the stats, let's also look at what Gooblermann has to say. This is probably going to be long, but you ASKED!

"Derek Jeter is not the greatest person that ever lived", I don't believe I have heard anyone EVER say that. So, right from the first sentence he confirms what many already know, hes a moron. What people have said, are saying and why he is being given the bon voyage is the same reason Mo and Cal got it, he's had a great CAREER and he's alive to actually say goodbye to the game and for everybody to say goodbye to him. Even the great Gerhrig was able to say goodbye when he got sick, I mean is it only annoying to people because Derek isn't sick or is it jealousy or just haters hating???

He goes into great lengths about how Jeter never blew up the top spots in season categories, well, a season's not a career. How about the guys that lead a season in everything and were out of the game a year, 2 or 3 afterwards???? He harps on the longevity, well yeah, that's a career. There have been thousands that had a great year, a couple or a handful and then went to complete shit, gave up on the game, wore out, got hurt, disgraced themselves or whatever. Sometimes due to their own issues but mostly through no tangible fault of their own. They just couldn't stay relatively healthy or consistent season after season, so the ones that do are rare. Having a long consistent sports career in and of itself is a feat and always has been. Those that have been able to be of use for that long, through changes, injuries, scandals, revolving personnel, fans expectations and opposing jeers should be rewarded. If they happened to also put up productive numbers throughout that career they should be saluted.

Okay. I will tackle some glaring things that Olberman. the self acclaimed lifelong Yankee fan, who obviously believes the only great Yank is a dead Yank touched on with Jeter. He talks about the MVP, yes, it is a status of a good player, but as many of us know it isn't always given to the truly "most valuable", it is usually given to power guys with huge home run numbers. Derek came close, Keith even admits himself he thought he should've gotten it at least once. He was voted 3rd in 1998, does anybody remember who won? Someone caught at a customs search with steroids, JuanGone. Second was Nomar Garciaparra. Something that Keith gripes about is Jeter's WAR, well his WAR in 1998 was higher then both guys that were ahead of him in MVP voting. In 1999 he came in 6th, 2 guys ahead of him tested positive for PEDs and only one had a WAR higher, a pitcher by the name of Pedro Martinez who came in second. In 2006 he came in second to Justin Morneau and again Derek's WAR was higher. He came in third in 2009 to Joe Mauer and Mark Teixeira hard to argue with Mauer's .365 BA and .587 slugging. Considering that since Derek has been in baseball the MVP has been awarded 9 times to players that have been named as PED users, it seems many players have been screwed out of that distinction. Oh, but Olbermann must have missed that part. In all the years that Jeter has played he has never tested positive, yet a good portion of players that have better stats have used or been implicated in using. So basically Olbermann is comparing him statistically overall to "cheaters", he is also not a power hitter and is being unfairly compared overall to quite a few home run hitters including his Yankee heroes.

Keith also brings up a comparison to Thurman Munson, Munson died in a plane crash at 32, no one knows how he would have ended up. He compares him to Graig Nettles, a very good defensive guy who had some pop, but as a Yankee hit .253, with a .329 on base %. Red Ruffing???? As so many like to point out when talking about olden times and today, he never played against or had competition from players that weren't white. Oh, but let's not tell that side of the story.

Let's look at the stats he doesn't talk about, career stats that make a career, which in reality is what everyone IS talking about, a good, long career. In comparing him to the "Greats" (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and so on)

Here's how Jeter stack ups.... Hits-1st, Singles-1st, Doubles-1st, Runs-2nd, Walks-4th, RBIs-6th, Home Runs-9th, (a NON power hitter!!!) Total Bases-3rd, Batting Average-8th-Stolen Bases-1st.

Where he ranks among all Yankees Shortstops.............Hits, Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, Total Bases, RBIs, Walks, Stolen Bases, BA, OB %, Slugging and OPS %- 1st.

Among Shortstops that have ever played in MLB.... .......Hits-1st, Runs-1st, Doubles-4th, Home Runs-3rd, Total Bases-3rd, RBIs-6th, Walks-5th, BA-6th, On Base %-7th, Slugging %-11th, OPS %-5th.

Now post season play of course depends on getting there in the first place, while a player can contribute heavily to helping a team get there it's a team effort, but how many times have fans complained about a great season player that "chokes" when it counts???

Where Jeter ranks in play-off play among all players in history....... Hits, Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples and Total Bases- 1st in those, Home Runs-3rd, RBIs-6th, Walks-5th, Stolen Bases-6th.

He will finish 6th on the all-time hits list and 9th on the all-time runs list of not just Yankees but all of MLB history. Olbermann, didn't mention these, did he???

So, if Keith had actually done his research on a player of his own beloved team he might have come up with a better piece, but I guess he would rather live in the 1940's and 50's instead of enjoying the game of today. As it is, he can kiss my big fat white ass!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I like big butts and I cannot lie
    Ted

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post

I have been hearing some that believe this is all tongue in cheek and while yes, at times he seems to be sarcastic, this is how Gooblermann operates. He was the same when he was on MSNBC, however, he and it seems many others are completely missing the point on why there is the hype. In the piece Oblerman even pokes fun of Posada because he mentions the reason...... I played with him, I SAW him play.

That is a HUGE factor in why there is the hype, we've actually gotten to SEE him, no stories relayed, no old footage to view and he's not dead receiving decades of posthumous adulation like the Yankee greats of old!

Well, Prov let's look at the stats, let's also look at what Gooblermann has to say. This is probably going to be long, but you ASKED!

"Derek Jeter is not the greatest person that ever lived", I don't believe I have heard anyone EVER say that. So, right from the first sentence he confirms what many already know, hes a moron. What people have said, are saying and why he is being given the bon voyage is the same reason Mo and Cal got it, he's had a great CAREER and he's alive to actually say goodbye to the game and for everybody to say goodbye to him. Even the great Gerhrig was able to say goodbye when he got sick, I mean is it only annoying to people because Derek isn't sick or is it jealousy or just haters hating???

He goes into great lengths about how Jeter never blew up the top spots in season categories, well, a season's not a career. How about the guys that lead a season in everything and were out of the game a year, 2 or 3 afterwards???? He harps on the longevity, well yeah, that's a career. There have been thousands that had a great year, a couple or a handful and then went to complete shit, gave up on the game, wore out, got hurt, disgraced themselves or whatever. Sometimes due to their own issues but mostly through no tangible fault of their own. They just couldn't stay relatively healthy or consistent season after season, so the ones that do are rare. Having a long consistent sports career in and of itself is a feat and always has been. Those that have been able to be of use for that long, through changes, injuries, scandals, revolving personnel, fans expectations and opposing jeers should be rewarded. If they happened to also put up productive numbers throughout that career they should be saluted.

Okay. I will tackle some glaring things that Olberman. the self acclaimed lifelong Yankee fan, who obviously believes the only great Yank is a dead Yank touched on with Jeter. He talks about the MVP, yes, it is a status of a good player, but as many of us know it isn't always given to the truly "most valuable", it is usually given to power guys with huge home run numbers. Derek came close, Keith even admits himself he thought he should've gotten it at least once. He was voted 3rd in 1998, does anybody remember who won? Someone caught at a customs search with steroids, JuanGone. Second was Nomar Garciaparra. Something that Keith gripes about is Jeter's WAR, well his WAR in 1998 was higher then both guys that were ahead of him in MVP voting. In 1999 he came in 6th, 2 guys ahead of him tested positive for PEDs and only one had a WAR higher, a pitcher by the name of Pedro Martinez who came in second. In 2006 he came in second to Justin Morneau and again Derek's WAR was higher. He came in third in 2009 to Joe Mauer and Mark Teixeira hard to argue with Mauer's .365 BA and .587 slugging. Considering that since Derek has been in baseball the MVP has been awarded 9 times to players that have been named as PED users, it seems many players have been screwed out of that distinction. Oh, but Olbermann must have missed that part. In all the years that Jeter has played he has never tested positive, yet a good portion of players that have better stats have used or been implicated in using. So basically Olbermann is comparing him statistically overall to "cheaters", he is also not a power hitter and is being unfairly compared overall to quite a few home run hitters including his Yankee heroes.

Keith also brings up a comparison to Thurman Munson, Munson died in a plane crash at 32, no one knows how he would have ended up. He compares him to Graig Nettles, a very good defensive guy who had some pop, but as a Yankee hit .253, with a .329 on base %. Red Ruffing???? As so many like to point out when talking about olden times and today, he never played against or had competition from players that weren't white. Oh, but let's not tell that side of the story.

Let's look at the stats he doesn't talk about, career stats that make a career, which in reality is what everyone IS talking about, a good, long career. In comparing him to the "Greats" (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle and so on)

Here's how Jeter stack ups.... Hits-1st, Singles-1st, Doubles-1st, Runs-2nd, Walks-4th, RBIs-6th, Home Runs-9th, (a NON power hitter!!!) Total Bases-3rd, Batting Average-8th-Stolen Bases-1st.

Where he ranks among all Yankees Shortstops.............Hits, Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples, Home Runs, Total Bases, RBIs, Walks, Stolen Bases, BA, OB %, Slugging and OPS %- 1st.

Among Shortstops that have ever played in MLB.... .......Hits-1st, Runs-1st, Doubles-4th, Home Runs-3rd, Total Bases-3rd, RBIs-6th, Walks-5th, BA-6th, On Base %-7th, Slugging %-11th, OPS %-5th.

Now post season play of course depends on getting there in the first place, while a player can contribute heavily to helping a team get there it's a team effort, but how many times have fans complained about a great season player that "chokes" when it counts???

Where Jeter ranks in play-off play among all players in history....... Hits, Runs, Singles, Doubles, Triples and Total Bases- 1st in those, Home Runs-3rd, RBIs-6th, Walks-5th, Stolen Bases-6th.

He will finish 6th on the all-time hits list and 9th on the all-time runs list of not just Yankees but all of MLB history. Olbermann, didn't mention these, did he???

So, if Keith had actually done his research on a player of his own beloved team he might have come up with a better piece, but I guess he would rather live in the 1940's and 50's instead of enjoying the game of today. As it is, he can kiss my big fat white ass

While I don't see a benefit in crapping on his farewell tour I do feel the need to make a few points of contention here.

Regarding your first argument about seeing him play.....does that make him as great of a player as people and the hype say he is? Because that's Olberman's point. In fact, he explicitely argues that seeing him play and not seeing the other greats play is what's skewing people's opinion of him and where he stands in relation to other greats.

Olberman's using obvious rhetoric in much of his argument and could probably serve making his point better if he didn't, but if you look through all of the rhetoric he makes actual arguments that can be seen as valid. You also see him complementing Jeter as a great player several times...he even says Jeter should have won the MVP in 2006. He's not calling him a crappy player, he's just saying he's not nearly as great as people and all the hype says he is.

People aren't finding it annoying because he's not sick. They're finding it annoying because it's disproportionate to how great he really was in his career. Olberman even makes it a point to argue that Jeter wasn't half as good as guys like Gehrig.

Also, he does talk about career accomplishments, not just single season ones. And Jeter just doesn't stack up as well against the greats. Olberman agrees that Jeter was a great player but, at the same time so was a guy like Paul Konerko and we're hearing absolutely nothing about his final season.

(Olberman doesn't mention Konerko, that was my opinion added)
    Last edited by HollywoodLeo; 09-25-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

robertson blows the save on purpose, so jeter can get the walkoff game winning hit in his last game at yankee stadium. theyre all class acts!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

girardi announces that jeter will be the dh for the final series of the year against boston, because he wants his last game at shortstop to be in yankee stadium.

its not at all because hes been the worst shortstop in the game for the last 3 years.