Thread: Rest in Peace, Ralph Kiner

MLB ERA

MLB Rest in Peace, Ralph Kiner

Yesterday was a sad day in baseball, with Ralph Kiner passing away. He was 91 and was at his California home surrounded by his family. His playing career, although short, was amazing. He led the NL in homers his first 7 years and finished with 369 homers and 1015 RBI. Following a back injury, he retired to the broadcast booth. He was an icon in New York, working for the Mets for years. His "down-home" style and knowledge of the game made the games understandable and enjoyable for the fans. He would call the players out for making stupid plays and praise players on both teams for good plays. I'm not really sure his playing numbers would get him in the Hall of Fame today, but his body of work for the game definitely would.
    On a personal note, I had the great pleasure of talking with this man about 15 years ago. He was personable and most appreciative of the fans.
    Rest in Peace, Ralph. Condolences to family and friends.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Rookie ERA

Rest in Peace, Ralph Kiner

There are only a handful of men whose voices resonate as Ralph's did as voice of the Mets. Bob Murphy, Gary Cohen and Howie Rose (as a young'n). That's it. Ralph was still in the booth a few times a year last year. Crazy! And he was still interesting and knowledgable. It was a blessing to listen to him and I'm sure I join everyone else here saying RIP Ralph Kiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LeagueTeamRecordPlayoff RecordDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLMariners293-517 (.362)0-0000002055-Present
    TBLPhillies559-413 (.575)20-24 (Series Record 2-6)412002013-End
    MSLTigers124-362 (.255)0-0000002052-2054

LeagueTeamRecordPlayoff RecordDivision TitlesConference Titles Championship WinsYears as GM
    KBSLNew York Knicks58-24 (.707)9-7 (2-1 series record)00000