Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Page 2: MLB's Most Overpaid Players

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Page 2: MLB's Most Overpaid Players

By Jeff Merron
    Page 2

Trade bait. Lots of the guys on this year's most overpaid list are already dangling from hooks and in the water, and there'd be even more if their minnow-like production wasn't attached to contracts of whale-like proportions. Those guys are really hard to deal.

Let's get one thing straight: We've got nothing personal against overpaid players. They're getting as much money as they can, and we can't blame them for that. (I once said to a friend, "I wouldn't mind being overpaid." He quipped back, "How do you know you're not already?" Touché.)

We're just saying, these guys aren't providing much bang for the buck. And if you're a fan of any of these teams or players, you know it. You might be rooting for them (I'm rooting for Piazza. C'mon, Mike! Give first base another try!), but you'd probably cringe if you had to hand them their paychecks every other week.

There are plenty of worthy candidates we left off … because this is a list of 10. And we left off guys who haven't played much, or at all, because of injury. So, we're taking it easy on the Darren Dreiforts of the baseball world.

10. Bernie Williams (OF, Yankees, $12,357,143)
    Oh, Bernie. He's one of our favorite Yankees (and we don't have many). But he's hitting .240 with six HR and 37 RBI, which projects out to well off his lifetime marks in those categories, and he's one of the worst regular outfielders in the bigs, ranking 79th in win shares.

9. Cristian Guzman (SS, Nationals, $4,200,000)
    The worst player in baseball this year. Or, to put it statistically: .186 batting average, .226 on-base percentage, .275 slugging percentage.

8. Phil Nevin (1B, Padres, $9,492,689)
    There are lots of overpaid first basemen floating around -- Todd Helton, Darin Erstad and Sean Casey come to mind -- but Nevin seems to fit the mold best. He never has played more than 147 games in a season (and won't again this year), and he's clearly on the downside of his career. Just a few days ago, Nevin rejected a deal that would have sent him to Baltimore in exchange for Sidney Ponson. Straight up for Ponson? To borrow from Jim Bouton, that in itself must make a man think."

7. Sidney Ponson (SP, Orioles, $8,500,000)
    Left-handed hitters must drool when they see they'll be facing Baltimore's 253-pound warrior. They're hitting .361 against him this year, with a nifty .928 OPS. If only that were the whole story. Ponson never has been much better than average, but in 2004 (11-15, 5.30 ERA) and again this year, he has been much worse. Hence the 7-9 record, and the 5.91 ERA. And in July, he has been just awful, losing four straight and piling up an 8.84 ERA for the month. That's trade bait only for a team that's starving.

6. Kirk Rueter (SP, Giants, $6,928,685)
    After Rueter's excellent 2002 season, in which he went 14-8 with a 3.23 ERA, ate up 203 innings and pitched well in the playoffs, the Giants rewarded him with a two-year, $12 million contract extension. Which is why they're paying him big bucks this year for a 2-7 record, a 5.73 ERA and a 24/45 strikeout/walk ratio. Of course, 2002 was Rueter's career year in just about every way, and perhaps the most telling stat for the placement pitcher is that 2002 was the only year he ever has pitched 200 or more innings. This year, he's on pace to earn $43,304 an inning.

5. Adrian Beltre (3B, Mariners, $11,400,000)
    When Beltre signed with Seattle this past winter, the Mariners thought they were set at third base: For five years and $64 million, they had signed a 25-year-old who had just finished a .334/48/121 season, numbers that dwarfed his previous career stats. This year, he's batting .259 (actually not much lower than his career average) with 12 dingers and 49 RBI. Maybe he's just having an off year and 2004 was truly an indicator of things to come. On the other hand, maybe 2004 was it.

4. Mike Piazza (C, Mets, $16,071,429)
    As a Mets fan who likes Piazza and thinks he's one of the toughest and classiest players in the major leagues, it pains me to have to list him here. But the truth is, he's a liability to the Mets as a backstop; he has thrown out only eight of 69 baserunners who've tried to steal off him, making it almost not worth the trouble (and risk) of throwing down to second. Aside from that, Piazza, the ninth-highest paid player in baseball, just can't hit all that well anymore. He's batting .266 with 12 HR and 45 RBI, which means he's still one of the best-hitting catchers in baseball, but that ain't saying much.

3. Kevin Brown (SP, Yankees, $15,714,286)
    The best thing that can be said about Brown is that he has been consistent this season. He has been hit hard at home, and he has been hit hard away. Both lefties and righties get on base at about a .390 clip against Brown, a dismal stat. Well, not as dismal as his 6.51 ERA -- almost double his lifetime mark.

2. Bret Boone (2B, Twins, $9,000,000)
    We would have had more sympathy for Boone when he was released by the Mariners if he weren't blowing his nose with piles of C-notes. Boone, the highest-paid second baseman in baseball -- by $1.5 million -- was hitting .234 with seven homers and 34 RBI when Seattle let him go. When the Twins picked him up (Seattle is still picking up his paycheck), Minnesota GM Terry Ryan said, "This is a high-reward, low-risk situation. I don't think there's any downside." Ah, but there is: Just playing Boone is a downside. He's hitting and slugging below the Mendoza line for the Twins.

1. Sammy Sosa (OF, Orioles, $17,875,000)
    What does Sammy do best? Hit the long ball, of course. Know how much he'll take home for each dinger he hits out of Camden Yards this season? Just a shade under a million bucks, if he continues at this rate. He's hitting just .236 with 11 HR and 34 RBI. We know all about his foot problems, and we'll take him at his word. Still, he's No. 1.

Also receiving votes:

Eric Milton
    Todd Helton
    Darin Erstad
    Steve Finley
    Orlando Cabrera
    Tom Glavine
    Chan Ho Park
    Article Link

Baseball Guru
    Rookie ERA
    I think Chan Ho Park is way over-paid

Where's Jaret Wright?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know, everyone but Ponson and Guzman really earned those contracts, hindsight is always 20-20.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Only 2!!

You could make this list up with all Yankees... ARod, Jeter, Giambi, Big Unit are all overpaid for their production... ARod should be god for 25 million dollars a season.

But alas, it's not my money, so whatever it takes to keep this guys in Pinstripes, I'm all for.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Rueter earned his check. Its just that when he got it, he sucked.

MLB ERA
    Cristian Guzman should definitely be the worst.

Being the worst player in the league and still being signed to a 4+ mil multiyear deal takes suck and overpaying. Sosa ain't got nothing on him, because he's at least been good at one point.

Rookie ERA
    Carlos Beltran deserves this list!!! ($11,571,429)

Carlos Beltran is batting .268 with 12 homers, and 53 RBI's.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    You know, everyone but Ponson and Guzman really earned those contracts, hindsight is always 20-20.

I agree. Those two should have be at the top of the list for the simple fact that they never did anything fantastic in their careers to earn big contracts. Unless you consider Guzman hitting a million triples for the twins worth 4 million..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

The Yankees have a lot of talent and should be doing better than they are but the 200 million dollar payroll is a lot of hype. Not very many players on the team are what you would call bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    Only 2!!

You could make this list up with all Yankees... ARod, Jeter, Giambi, Big Unit are all overpaid for their production... ARod should be god for 25 million dollars a season.

But alas, it's not my money, so whatever it takes to keep this guys in Pinstripes, I'm all for.

AAA ERA
    Lets be honest. No man playing a child's game deserves the kind of money these guys make. Not one of them.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    Lets be honest. No man playing a child's game deserves the kind of money these guys make. Not one of them.
    The problem is if the players don't get the money, then the rich owners do. So who gets the money?

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    The problem is if the players don't get the money, then the rich owners do. So who gets the money?
    You're missing my point.

No baseball player deserves the salary they are making. There are other professions the benefit society in a much more positive way. But yes you're right once we get into the economic layout of the industry, the players ought to earn what they do.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    You're missing my point.

No baseball player deserves the salary they are making. There are other professions the benefit society in a much more positive way. But yes you're right once we get into the economic layout of the industry, the players ought to earn what they do.
    I did not miss the point...don't jump to conclusions and make assumptions.

Obviously, there are jobs that deserve more money and so on (heard this a million times). But you can't take the reality out of the situation (the large amounts of money being taken in being the reality) and if the players don't get the money, then the owners would. I never said the players derserve it more than doctors, teachers, etc...but when the choice is players or owners, someone has to get it and the players deserve just as much as the owners

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I did not miss the point...don't jump to conclusions and make assumptions.

Obviously, there are jobs that deserve more money and so on (heard this a million times). But you can't take the reality out of the situation (the large amounts of money being taken in being the reality) and if the players don't get the money, then the owners would. I never said the players derserve it more than doctors, teachers, etc...but when the choice is players or owners, someone has to get it and the players deserve just as much as the owners
    Calm down, there. Watch the blood pressure. I was agreeing with you. I was just thinking outside of the box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast