Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expanded playoffs start this season

MLB ERA

Re: Expanded playoffs start this season

The 6 divisions and the addition of the first wild card was a great move for baseball. Only baseball purists who just hate any change because it's change hated that.

I'm not really against another wild card, but I hate the one game playoff for it.

Basically, a team just has to finish second in the wild card standings and then could be the favorite against the team with the better record if they happen to have the better ace.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If you really think about it, we have been seeing one game playoffs over the past five years so it's really not any different. I am just wondering how they are going to handle tie-breakers.

MLB ERA

As for the NFL playoffs, there's nothing wrong with them. It works great for the NFL. People whine about the Seahawks but how often does that happen? You don't point to abnormalities to argue the merits of a system.

That being said, what's good for the goose may not be what's good for the gander. Baseball doesn't need that much when a series makes more sense than one game playoffs.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    If you really think about it, we have been seeing one game playoffs over the past five years so it's really not any different. I am just wondering how they are going to handle tie-breakers.
    Except those involved tiebreakers, which is not the same as allowing a team with a worse record leapfrog a team in one game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Except those involved tiebreakers, which is not the same as allowing a team with a worse record leapfrog a team in one game.
    True but the ratings and excitement were there. I have been opposed to it from the beginning but thought I would point out we have been seeing the one game playoff in some form and it has been good for the game.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Imagine if this took place in the 2001 season and the 85-win Twins were allowed to go on to divisional round by beating the 102-win Oakland A's in a play-in game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ha, yeah, that would have ended the new format right then and there. That is what will be needed to go back to the old way.

MLB ERA

It'd have to happen regularly, otherwise it'd just be viewed as an anomaly along the same lines of the Seahawks winning the NFC West at 7-9.

That said, while that is an extreme example, I don't even like the idea of a team one game back being given the opportunity to leap frog in one game. It basically negates the matter of who finishes 1st or 2nd in the WC standings. So long as you're one of the two you have that game to get into the playoffs.

If we had this format last year the Boston and Atlanta collapses could have been negated by a win the next day.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If we had this format last year the Boston and Atlanta collapses could have been negated by a win the next day.
    And we wouldn't have had the best night in baseball history

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

For 2012 only the Division Series will open with two home games for lower ranked teams, and continue with three home games for top ranked teams. This will cut down on travel time and make the Wild Card play-in game possible.
    Yeah, just fuck home field advantage for a year.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by zodious View Post
    Love the expanded playoffs, hate the one game format, hate the only one extra team.

I'd rather do like the NFL. Split it into 4 divisions (or 2 and do the winner of each gets the bye and then 4 wild card spots.)
    That would be overkill. This is probably about as "perfect" as baseball can get. Puts extra emphasis on actually WINNING the division and gives an extra opportunity for headlines in cities that normally wouldn't see them.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Screw added incentive for winning the division. Should a 98 win team be punished for playing in a division with a 100 win team by allowing some 88 win team the ability to leapfrog them with one possible fluke game?

MLB ERA

Should Tampa and NY be able to punt the last 3 games of the year when you could have all sorts of news about that series as they compete to see who doesn't have to play the additional games?

The 1 game playoff I tend to agree with you though but I don't see them shortening the season (which I would argue needs to happen).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I say do away with division champions, let top 6 in from each league, shorten the days of the season but not games by adding weekend double headers. Cause owners will never agree to less games.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Should Tampa and NY be able to punt the last 3 games of the year when you could have all sorts of news about that series as they compete to see who doesn't have to play the additional games?
    Yes. They earned it by being good enough to be in position to do it.Besides, if two teams are eliminated from the division race but locked in first or second in the wild card they'll be punting games when before they'd be fighting for a playoff spot, so it's not like you're eliminating that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast