Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best team defense?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    twinkies 11th, braves 21st, devil dogs 26th last year

Anaheim. Especially with the defensively-inept McPherson out of the lineup. Erstad is one of the best in the game at his position, Cabrera and Figgins form a very formidable double play combo up the middle(although Figgins' throwing CAN be erratic), and everyone in the outfield could be considered(although i dont necessarilly agree) the best at their position in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    twinkies 11th, braves 21st, devil dogs 26th last year
    Fielding % is one of the most faulty barometers in all of baseball... it's a bit more relevant in regards to team defense, but it's still nothing to weigh your opinions by

Rookie ERA
    Toronto should be pretty decent.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDawkins
    Fielding % is one of the most faulty barometers in all of baseball... it's a bit more relevant in regards to team defense, but it's still nothing to weigh your opinions by
    ok, so if you don't use field percentage to rate which teams have the best team defense, what are you basing it on then? I was trying to use stats to make a valid judgement...

My opinion was the A's had one of the best defenses, I used the #'s to support my opinion...

That's like using the WIN METHOD to justify Bernie Williams being better than Andruw Jones.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    ok, so if you don't use field percentage to rate which teams have the best team defense, what are you basing it on then? I was trying to use stats to make a valid judgement...

My opinion was the A's had one of the best defenses, I used the #'s to support my opinion...
    yeah i have no problems with you using stats to validate your argument... but for you're bringing up stats from last season, when many of the afforementioned defenses have been revamped(cabrera and finley to anaheim, for example)

MLB ERA
    Anaheim was up there last year and I expect them to be up there this year as well. The A's didn't lose anything and hopefully Chavvy won't miss 8 weeks with another injury, so they should be up there, too.

Braves added Jordan, which takes away from their outfield defense, but Laroche and Franco are good fielding 1B, Furcal is amazing, Giles is good, Chipper is pretty good, and Estrada is darn good. Don't know why we shouldn't be in the top ten.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I like the Cards in this category as well.

MLB ERA

Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by Impossibles
    Off the top of my head, I'd say Seattle is one of the top defensive teams.

Sexson, Beltre, Ichiro, Boone, and Winn are all very, very good defensively.

Who would you name?
    I would have to say you are right. Now if only Pokey could get healthy. Wilson "Automatic Out" Valdez is sucking out there, with the O and the D.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Valdez is ok on Defense, but really did you really expect offense from him? I like the Dodgers Middle IF. Team wise its got to be the Cards.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Chipper is pretty good
    You've just lost all credibility.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    That's like using the WIN METHOD to justify Bernie Williams being better than Andruw Jones.
    actually no because I didn't "interview" anyone and label them WIN METHOD certified (whatever that is)...if you're not using team fielding percentage as a marker for best team defense, then what are you using? Saying so and so is good is just an opinion...probably why you picked the Devil Dogs who were 26th last year, had no gold glovers, and some how you think they're top 5 or 10 this year? c'mon

MLB ERA
    Fielding percentage is inherently flawed.

Great SS goes to make a play, ball hits his glove, prevents a runner from advancing, but he bobbles it and gets no outs, so it's an error.

Ball rolls past bad SS and runs score, runners advance, but he gets no fault for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast