Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contraction??

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Contraction??

What makes you so certain that a new ballpark will be built? The current economy isn't like it was in the 1990's. And as much of a baseball fan that I am, even I won't ignore the fact that a publicly financed ballpark is a terrible investment for a city, despite all the promises of economic benefits that a typical referendum for a new ballpark would have you believe in.

Rookie ERA

Re: Contraction??

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    What makes you so certain that a new ballpark will be built? The current economy isn't like it was in the 1990's. And as much of a baseball fan that I am, even I won't ignore the fact that a publicly financed ballpark is a terrible investment for a city, despite all the promises of economic benefits that a typical referendum for a new ballpark would have you believe in.
    I already said, the history of my own area's local politics. There has never been a "typical" referendum here, that's why all these "projects" that supposedly no one wants because of costs end up getting passed, overturned, resubmitted and then whattayaknow there it is................ a new bridge or improvement on an old one, a new sports complex (Raymond James along with the new Bucs training facility most notably), an improved highway around the airport, cameras at intersections, some of these projects are IN the current economy. All things that supposedly the city/county couldn't afford and the citizenry opposed and voila!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12