Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Baseball Classic

MLB ERA

World Baseball Classic

I would like to hear everybody's thoughts on this.

Basically it's a 16 nation world baseball tournament that is going down next March. On paper, I think it is a genius idea. In reality, however, I think it is going to cause problems with not the best players always going and with players suffering injuries during the MLB season. I think it's a good idea, in theory. But nobody wants to see MLB's superstars breaking down in the middle of the season. This happens alot in basketball after the Olympics. I actually don't think players participating will be a big problem, except for the USA players. But it is the injuries that concerns me most.

AAA ERA
    Great idea, horrible timing. It's asinine to have it in March in the middle of ST, it should be in November after the WS.

AA ERA
    Agree with you too. Cool idea but the timing blows. I wouldn't want Prior and Wood to pitch in it if they were chosen.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Terrible timing. Not even sure if I dig the whole idea. Running some World Cup (of Soccer) type thing for baseball just seems wrong. Definitely shitty timing though.

Rookie ERA
    Baseball is losing fans in the United States, so they have to go around the World. Brazil, and Italy barely like Baseball, but they will someday because of this World Baseball thing.

You know what blows, A-Rod choosing to play for the Dominican Republic over the United States

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I was a fan of it being before ST but after seeing the snoozer that was the ASG before I went to work, I think it should be done in December/January. Give they guys some time to rest up. But then you would have to rival the NFL, NBA and NHL (somewhat) being in full steam by then. It would probably hurt them to have it after the WS cause of the other 3 sports. You also have to account for College Football as well.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by msneezie31
    You know what blows, A-Rod choosing to play for the Dominican Republic over the United States
    He hasn't decided but it irritates me that he is even considering it and if he does play for the DR then i will have lost all respect for him. he was born here and grew up here and is making an insane amount of $ here that he would never be able to make there, I'm tired of people waving flags of other Countries instead of waving our own!

According to ESPN Deportes, Alex Rodriguez has decided to play for the Dominican Republic in the upcoming World Baseball Classic.

*From ESPN.com on July 13, 2005*

Alex Rodriguez feels determined to help the Dominican Republic play a key role in baseball's first World Classic, which will take place in March.

That's why the Yankees third baseman has already decided which country he will represent in the most important international event in baseball's history.

"I am going to play for the Dominican Republic, and I am going to make the Dominicans feel proud," Rodriguez said during the All-Star Game.

"I want to say it out loud: I am Dominican," added Rodriguez.

Major League Baseball, the Players Union and the International Baseball Federation have already announced baseball's first World Classic on Monday, with 16 countries slated to participate.

Rodriguez is one of the many baseball players who has dual citizenship and has the choice of representing the country he prefers.

Spanish version
    Read this story in Spanish on ESPNdeportes.com.

Rodriguez is son of Dominican parents, but was born in New York. Along with other Dominican players born in the U.S., Rodriguez could play for the United States if so chooses.

"I am Dominican, and that's the flag I will represent in the World Classic," said Rodriguez. "We will have a great team, and we will try to win the title so that all the Dominican people will feel proud of their ballplayers and of their own nationality," he said.

The Dominican Republic will share Pool D, which will play the first round in Florida, with Australia, Venezuela and Italy. The two best teams will advance to the quarterfinals.

The Yankees third baseman was one of the five Dominican players to occupy successive places in the batting order for the American League lineup at the All-Star Game. Rodriguez batted second, a place he has been comfortable with during his last two seasons with the Yankees.

David Ortiz, the designated hitter, was the third player in the batting order, leftfielder Manny Ramirez was the cleanup, shortstop and eventual MVP Miguel Tejada was fifth and outfielder Vladimir Guerrero was sixth.

"Our country is a baseball power. With players like Miguel Tejada, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez and others, we are going to keep the Dominican flag at the top," concluded A-Rod.

AAA ERA
    F him, go live in the DR and see if you can make $25 mil a season. he just went way down in my book. I understand the guys that were born and raised there but to be born and grow up here and then turn your back on this Country is disgusting. If he never plays another game in a Yankee uniform I'll be a happy man, I don't care how great he is.

MLB ERA
    If he went and lived in the DR... he'd still be making $25 million a year... because he'd still be playing for the Yankees.

MLB ERA
    Go A-Rod. Why should he represent the United States? I don't know if you people watch the World Cup (soccer), but the atmosphere during that tournament is unreal. If this baseball tournament can capture 1/2 of that atmosphere & feeling, then this should be a huge success.

AA ERA
    He should play for the United States. He was born and raised here.

This is different them a military kid too.
    I aim to try

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Go A-Rod. Why should he represent the United States? I don't know if you people watch the World Cup (soccer), but the atmosphere during that tournament is unreal. If this baseball tournament can capture 1/2 of that atmosphere & feeling, then this should be a huge success.
    What does that have to do with anything?

He should represent the US because he was born here, and raised here.
    I aim to try

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast