Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: World Baseball Classic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I understand and I don't mean to blow this out of proportion but it's how I feel, I feel like it's a slap in the face.
    No problem with you have to say. Its your opinon. As long as were seeing where each other is coming from.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    First of all, it is getting blown out of proportion. I think it is a slap in the face as you said, but let's remeber it's only baseball.

Secondly, I think it's time American becomes a nationality. When we are asked what our ancestors are and we go back 200 years and say Italian, Irish, Dutch, French and Russian, that's getting annoying. If your family has lived in America for quite a while I think you are American.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    If A-Rod is slapping the US in the face, you're slapping your family in the face by disassociating yourself from Italy/Ireland, and in the process, disassociating yourself from your family.

It's pretty absurd to essentially distance yourself from your Italian and Irish ancestry because you weren't born and raised there. Why not walk up to, say, your grandfather and tell him "I'm not Irish or Italian because I wasn't born there. So allow me to slap you in the face like I've slapped our family in the face by refusing to accept myself as Irish and Italian."

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    If A-Rod is slapping the US in the face, you're slapping your family in the face by disassociating yourself from Italy/Ireland, and in the process, disassociating yourself from your family.

It's pretty absurd to essentially distance yourself from your Italian and Irish ancestry because you weren't born and raised there. Why not walk up to, say, your grandfather and tell him "I'm not Irish or Italian because I wasn't born there. So allow me to slap you in the face like I've slapped our family in the face by refusing to accept myself as Irish and Italian."
    I have 1 gradparent alibe and she is the Irish one, I tell her all the time I am not Irish or Italian that I am American. My Mom takes the Italian stuff seriosuly and I have always told her I am not Italian I am American b/c that is a fact. They accept it b/c they know it's the turth. My ANCESTRY is Italian and Irish and I am proud of my heritage but I am not one of them. I am American, if someone asks me what I am I say American, if someone asks what my ancestry is I say Italian & Irish.

MLB ERA
    Both my parents are Mexican, but I was born in US. I am a citizen of both countries. If I was any good at a sport, there is no ****ing way I will ever represent the United States.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Both my parents are Mexican, but I was born in US. I am a citizen of both countries. If I was any good at a sport, there is no ****ing way I will ever represent the United States.
    If you are Mexican and love Mexico so much then why are you in the United States? I don't understand the thought process. I understand you are proud to be Mexican but why not live in Mexico then?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    If you are Mexican and love Mexico so much then why are you in the United States? I don't understand the thought process. I understand you are proud to be Mexican but why not live in Mexico then?
    That is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

If you don't change your culture to American, then you must leave.

Well, then, I guess I must leave.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    and we wonder why were so hated

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    and we wonder why were so hated
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Porter99 again.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    While I don't agree with this, I think the point he's trying to make is that the United States of America has given you (and A-Rod) a safe place to grow up, a free education (assuming you went to public schools), a job (assuming you're employed), and a free society in which to raise a family (when you're old and responsible enough). So why would you be so appalled at representing this country, which has given you so much, in a sporting event? You should always be grateful to the individuals and institutions that have put you into the (hopefully successful) position you're in today.

A-Rod is free to choose whatever country he would like to play for. Unless Selig has something to say about it. I'm sure the Japanese could dig up a relative of A-Rod's to get him to play for them. I encourage the freedom of choice in this case, because you find out a lot about a person by the choices they make. I've learned a lot about the loyalty, patriotism and convictions (or lack thereof in each case) of guys like nyjunc, Porter, McKain, and ATLein just by hearing the choices you'd hypothetically make.

MLB ERA
    I don't know if you are full blood white American, or whatever, I won't make assumptions but it's like me.. in my home, we speak Spanish, eat Mexican foods, watch Spanish TV. I relate more to the culture of my people, than I can to the America. So even though I am born here, I can relate more to my people. I assume that is a similar case with Alex Rodriguez, although again, don't want to make any assumptions.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know we wouldnt have this if the Europeans magically found this place 220 years ago. The fact that we found the American Indians (who Columbus named cause he thought he was somewhere else). then STOLE their land. Fought a war over territory they didnt really have. I won't get too political about the whole thing for i still think its this shouldnt be such a big deal. We see people from countries ditch their native lands to play for the US. Now someone else wants to play for the DR and not the US and its a big deal. Theres a double standard when it comes to this situation. Yeah I'm American as hell, but I'm STILL PROUD OF MY HERITAGE does that mean i have to go to 5 continents and about 7 different countries cause im proud. Sure as hell not.

AAA ERA
    That is the dumbest shit I've ever heard.

If you don't change your culture to American, then you must leave.

Well, then, I guess I must leave.
    No, if you love it so much then why are you here? If your loyalties are to another Country then what's the point? keep your traditions alive but assimilate into our culture. Why do you have loyalties to a Country you do not live in? I just don't get it? I never said ignore your heritage and "just be an American". Keep your culture alive but be thankful and appreicate living in the greatest Country in the World and all the opportunity it has brought you and your family. I know my ancestors left to come here for a reason and I am very grateful they did that and I would honor them by having my loyalties to the Country they chose to come to so they could enjoy better lives.

AAA ERA
    We see people from countries ditch their native lands to play for the US.
    Like Hakeem Olajuwon? He became a US citizen and LIVES here. If ARod LIVED in the DR I'd be fine w/ it. But he does not and never has. It's different. I would never expect a player to play for this Country if they were not a citizen and did not call this Country their home. I don't expect Pedro Martinez to pitch for the US, he lives in the DR and goes back as often as possible. ARod lives here, was born here and grew up here. It is an absolute slap in the face to this Country which has treated him so well.

AAA ERA
    I don't know if you are full blood white American, or whatever, I won't make assumptions but it's like me.. in my home, we speak Spanish, eat Mexican foods, watch Spanish TV. I relate more to the culture of my people, than I can to the America. So even though I am born here, I can relate more to my people. I assume that is a similar case with Alex Rodriguez, although again, don't want to make any assumptions.
    Well this is going to sound crass, and will probably rub most people the wrong way but, if your culture is so wonderful to you, then why are you in America? Don't jump to the conclusion that I'm telling you to leave the country, but you don't seem to have any problem relating to the part of American culture haveing to do with free high school education, numerous jobs and limitless oppertunity, democracy, and liberty. If Cuba and the Dominican Republic are such wonderful culture to live in, then why are people sailing in styrophome cups to come to America. Why do so many Mexicans run the risk of jumping the border? What is it about America that makes you want to live here? If you value that at all, what is wrong with showing your gratitude for it and representing this country in an international event?

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast