Thread: Joe Morgan, Jon Miller no mas!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Thumbs Up Joe Morgan, Jon Miller no mas!

Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.

Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.

"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons," ESPN executive vice president Norby Williams said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades, Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."

Miller, the play-by-play voice, received the Baseball Hall of Fame's 2010 Ford C. Frick Award. Morgan, the color commentator, was a two-time National League MVP with the Cincinnati Reds. The second baseman was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1990.
    I am somewhat frightened to see who ESPN replaces them with. I hope it is people who can interject humor into their broadcast like a Bob Uecker. Baseball really needs people like that since MLB will do little to market their product. Make the games fun to watch! I have always liked Miller and never had a problem with him but Morgan progressively got on my nerves over the years. After 21 years, it is time for a change.

MLB ERA

Re: Joe Morgan, Jon Miller no mas!

I was never a big fan of either, and Morgan was certainly the worse of the two, but all I ask is that they don't let someone worse (ie: Steve Phillips) take over this job. I'm interested to see who gets chosen.

MLB ERA

I'm a bit torn here. I think some of their calls were worth hearing. Morgan had a certain "air" about him. Miller does a good job of calling games and will likely continue in some capacity.
    Another poor replacement team would be Buck and McCarver.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Yeah, replace McCarver, I can't stand him, atleast Morgan is/was more credible than McCarver.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Now who will we complain about?

I actually didn't mind Miller and Morgan has those brief moments of lucidity, but Joe is too often Joe with what he says. Still, both are good guys, which doesn't hurt when you have to listen to them for 20 years. Hopefully ESPN chooses wisely.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Knowing ESPN, their replacements will be Chip Caray and Rex Hudler.

Rookie ERA

I know there is a saying "be careful what you wish for" but right now, I can't personally think of anyone that will irritate me as much as Joe Morgan has on that broadcast.

Give Me Some Wieters
    Rookie ERA

I liked the voice of Jon Miller, but really could not stand Joe Morgan and his know it all attitude. It will be interesting to see who will replace them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I'm predicting Orel Herschiser or Rick Sutcliffe and Dave O'Brien. The darkhorse would be John Kruk just because he has been so visible for baseball for ESPN in the last couple years.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kruk will only do Phillies games so he can make every excuse in the world to why they lost. I personally thought Nomar did a fantastic job during the games I saw him do and wouldn't mind seeing him in the booth every Sunday. Please say no to Sutcliffe. I do agree with you KOZ that O'Brien will get the gig.

MLB ERA

I think the rumors are ESPN's Dan Schulman, along with Orel Hershiser and (if he isn't hired elsewhere) Bobby Valentine...