Thread: Does ESPN own the patent on instant replay?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Does ESPN own the patent on instant replay?

Does ESPN own the patent on instant replay? It sure seems like it as it now appears that they are going out of their way to point out every little **** up by the umpires. Most of these ****ups wouldn't even be reviewable by the way they have set it up in their minds. This is really starting to get annoying and really taking away from me enjoying these playoff games. Yes, there are bang bang plays but none of which have really cost a team anything. There have been no Don Denkinger plays here and I am tired of ESPN trying their best to show every tiny mistake the umps make.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Does ESPN own the patent on instant replay?

ESPN does come off as smug in micromanaging the mistakes, but then again it wouldn't be The Worldwide Leader in Sports if they weren't smug. Besides, I doubt it's going to influence the umps' approach. And yes, I wouldn't want non-crucial mistakes to get challenged by managers only after they caught the replay on the stadium's video screen like ****** coaches do in the NFL.

Rookie ERA

I guess it is a matter of opinion on what has or hasn't cost a team anything. There may have been no difference in the overall turn out of a game but there have been momentum and inning changes that could have affected the next sequence by extending or ending an inning which can eventually lead to change in the over all game. I don't really watch ESPN anymore having MLB network but everyone has been replaying the blown calls since they have been prevalent all season. It started with Joe West and his "hurrying up " of the Red Sox /Yankees series by his crew virtually calling things anyway they wished just to end the game and it has escalated since.

In my opinion it isn't extended replay that needs to be implemented but BETTER umpires, there is a strike zone people.......... in the rule book and it should USED, it DOES NOT say the strike zone is whatever the umpire THINKS SHOULD be the strike zone. As for plays on the field those could easily be viewed better by positioning their fat asses in a better spot. The check swing mistakes....I haven't got a clue at what the **** they are looking at to determine!!! If the bat crosses the plate......he DIDN'T CHECK!!! PERIOD!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I had the patent, but I sold it to Jiff Peanut Butter.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It's JIF you dicklick