View Poll Results: Cheater or Brilliant?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is cheating, expand replay!

1 14.29%
  • No, that is part of the game, don't expand

2 28.57%
  • Yes, that is cheating but don't expand replay

2 28.57%
  • No, that is cheating but I want replay for other purposes

2 28.57%

Thread: Jeter; What's your take?

MLB ERA

Baseball Slant Jeter; What's your take?

As all of you know.. There is a hot debate going on right now on whether what Jeter did was part of the game of baseball or was cheating.

As a former high school baseball player I don't find this surprising at all and I just find this as a part of the game. My coaches used to tell us do whatever it takes to get on base. If the call is questionable and you and the ump exchange looks and he asks you, "did it hit you?" you are never to reply I don't know, or no. We were always taught to start making our way down the line towards first.

Sometimes it hits you and you don't get the base. This is what makes the game of baseball interesting and unique. You can't challenge almost anything you want like you can in the NFL. Sometimes things go your teams way, other times it doesn't.

Things like this are in every sport, even NASCAR. Jeff Gordon today gave an example today on The Herd that made it seem like stuff like this happens more than we, or the referees notice. To say that stuff like this doesn't go on in all sports is foolish.

Now would we have seen this if Jeter was hitting .300 this year? Eh.. maybe, maybe not. But given the situation that Jeter was presented with, the down year he is having, I think that it was brilliant. Would this be even bigger if the Yankees would have won last nights game? Without a doubt.

I do however, still believe that this is part of the game. Its the game of failures and you gotta do what you gotta do to get on base especially in a situation like that. You may disagree or say that I'm being a homer because its my favorite player on my favorite team but I feel that it is just as much apart of the game as chew, double bubble, seeds and rally caps. What Jeter did should not expand the use of instant replay. The game of baseball is so enriched with history and so glorified by what the past has done; do not expand the use of instant replay.

So; how do you all feel about what Jeter did? Cheating or, part of the game?
    Last edited by BuckFoston; 09-16-2010 at 06:51 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Jeter; What's your take?

He carries a vagina with him.

What debate is there? The Empire lost to Dan Johnson. No debate necessary.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I do want replay for a variety of reasons. As far as the play itself, it is what it is. The ump will make that same call 95% of the time. Its gamemanship. I rank it next to trapping the ball and then saying you caught it cleanly or a catcher framing the pitch to try to get the call.
    rf28

I think when you get 4 umpires looking at each other like horses asses and have no clue what is the right call it is only appropriate to get the call correct. With the technology that they have today it should be used. Also when it would have been overturned then Jeter should have been thrown out of the game.

MLB ERA

All one has to do is listen to the sound of the ball hitting the bat to tell what happened. Not sure, with the sounds in the Trop, that the home plate umpire could hear it, and if he isn't sure, he needs to ask for help.
    In the past, the umpire would ask the player to show where the ball hit him. As hard as that ball was thrown, it would have left a mark.
    This said, I like the "human" part of the game. The umpires usually get the calls right.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"As a former baseball player "

you played professionally?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They normally would, but it's a bad call because it was so blatantly obvious. I saw the play, thought foul ball, switched away and came back to see Maddon pitching a fit. I mean, there comes a point and time when calls are getting so badly missed, something has to be done. What if that was a playoff game? What if a missed call swung the momentum permanently into the other team's favor for that game? I don't want the Empire to win a game, but I'd rather see them win the game without an assist from the ump (hypothetically speaking), same for any team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

BTW, Jeter has been nominated for an Oscar for best actor in a drama...
    rf28

Rookie ERA
    I don't think Jeter was in the wrong. Getting on base any way you can is taught at the earliest stages in baseball. And no that doesn't mean you had to go pro to know that.

But I do think they need to have some sort of system worked out for the playoffs. That HBP could be the difference between a win or loss.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    "As a former baseball player "

you played professionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I don't think Jeter was in the wrong. Getting on base any way you can is taught at the earliest stages in baseball. And no that doesn't mean you had to go pro to know that.
    Thank you Trendy Bastard.

I meant to put that it was strictly high school ball I mean shit man.. I aint EVEN close to anything outside of high school ball. Sorry for not putting that in there Hammer.

edit: That better Hammer?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's cheating in the sense of taking credit for something that you didn't intentionally set out to do is lying. Technically, yes and if he was completely honest, he wouldn't have done so. However, he is a player in a game and if an ump fails, it is not Jeter's job to correct him.

That said, I would like for baseball to explore expanding the use of replays, but carefully.

Rookie ERA

I touched on it when we were discussing it in the game thread when it happened. I don’t see it any different than the phantom swipe of second on a DP attempt,…….or the baseman holding up the glove like yea, see I got him…the pretending the ball went behind you to get the guy to come off the bag……or the raising of the glove in a sprawling outfield catch when you know the ball hit the ground before your glove.

They hope they will get the call their way.

Those that somehow think it’s going to be solved by expanded replay think again the complaints will still be there just like it is in football once the flags are used up and you can’t throw it on anther play later in the game. people second guess the coach on why he used up a flag on this play or that play.

My only complaint is someone really needs to get together and truly define the strike zone and make it one for all instead of the players having to learn each umpire’s version of his own strike zone. Not sure if they realize it or not but it’s actually in a rule book. They either need to make them stick to the rule or pony up for them to get a better eye doctor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

In no way was this cheating. The umpire awarded him first base. Replay could have helped but so could have GOOD umpiring. I could tell that it hit the bat when it happened live. It was clear the ball hit wood and nothing else. Nothing else sounds like it. Terrible call but Jeter did nothing wrong.

Rookie ERA

Just this morning the local radio station in Milwaukee was talking about this topic. I don't understand all the hype I guess. I mean, how often in the world cup do you see soccer players faking an injury to get a penalty called? Heck, faking injuries is half of the sport in soccer. I guess I just see it as being part of the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

"edit: That better Hammer? "

eh, i was drunk and being a dick for the sake of being dick. props for handling it fairly well.

with the way jeter is hitting this year, id get on base any way i could.