Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Sues MLB, Mets

MLB ERA

Question Man Sues MLB, Mets

He was hit in the face by a broken bat. Here is a story: Fan suing New York Mets, MLB for facial injuries from broken bat - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN
    Does he have a case?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Man Sues MLB, Mets

He's just now suing when it happened in 2007?

I say he has no case, at the very least, against the individual players. That's bullshit. Castillo and Castro can't control where bat shards go, does he expect them to use telepathy to protect fans from broken bats? Castillo can't even catch an infield pop up. Absurd lawsuit.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Yeah, he's definitely got a case. A good one, too. He suffered serious injuries, and the way the law works, you have to sue all involved parties. Just how it works.

Also, Castillo and Castro can't control how a bat shatters, but they could control what bat they used.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He can try but I say he loses his case. What's a MLB club to do, remove entire seating from "at-risk" sections?

MLB ERA

Before every game and all over the stadium dont they announce/have signs that read "Beware of objects that leave the field". At most he settles for medical bills.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    He can try but I say he loses his case. What's a MLB club to do, remove entire seating from "at-risk" sections?
    No, they're supposed to remove maple bats, which have an established history of shattering with dangerous consequences, while providing no known improvement to hitting.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Before every game and all over the stadium dont they announce/have signs that read "Beware of objects that leave the field". At most he settles for medical bills.
    You'd be surprised how it doesn't work that way. Telling someone "My dog bites" doesn't absolve you from liability when the dog bites. He'll get much more than medical bills, which are substantial anyway. Guy's face got wrecked.

MLB ERA

I think he has a case simply because of what Saber's saying regarding the bats.

Bats are breaking at alarming rates these days. It seems every other batter (obvious exaggeration) has to go back for a new bat at some point during the game.

I don't think he'd have a case if he were hit in the face with a foul ball, but because it can be argued that it wouldn't have happened had they used more durable bats he might win this one.

Why wait 3 years to sue, though?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    You'd be surprised how it doesn't work that way. Telling someone "My dog bites" doesn't absolve you from liability when the dog bites. He'll get much more than medical bills, which are substantial anyway. Guy's face got wrecked.
    What if I tell someone "my dog bites" and the idiot goes in to get bitten anyways?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Since this was in 2007, were they prohibiting maple bats then? Did they ban the use of the bat? Cause if they didn't, then no, the players are not at fault. If they are allowed to use something, then that's their right and they should not be held to blame. By all means, Jigsaw can sue Bud Selig and Major League Baseball, but it's ridiculous to blame the players. Hey, great idea, let's sue Lance Berkman for hitting a foul ball that struck a fan and gave him a concussion! Wooo! And let's sue Jorge Posada for letting Berkman use the bat that hit the foul ball that knocked the person out!

Now if they were banned, prohibited, etc. back in 2007, then sure, there's a legit case here. Otherwise, shit does happen.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

They don't need to be banned. You are thinking of intent, which doesn't apply here. This man in undoubtedly suing based on negligence. If they knew that maple bats were more dangerous, while providing no benefit over other bats, then they were negligent to use maple bats or allow their use.

Leo, you're thinking of contributory/comparative negligence. They had some fault, but you have a dog that bites.

MLB ERA

i agree suing the players is dumb. But apparently that's good strategy to sue anyone involved so as to increase your chances of winning one.

gotta love this Country.

MLB ERA

i also have knives that can cut you if you pick them up from the wrong end.

Why should I be held accountable for someone else's stupidity as long as I do everything I can to insure he knows the ramifications?

MLB ERA

That's true Leo, for you, but not for MLB in a business-context. Businesses have to ensure more than mere knowledge of consequences. If it is feasible, they should seek to minimize those risks when possible.

I know you think people should take responsibility, and therefore there shouldn't have to be seatbelt laws and guidelines, but then you also complain when your bank and credit cards tack on all those fees. Hell, they told you they were going to do that!

MLB ERA

i dont complain about bank and credit card fees and i agree with seat belt laws. Where are you getting that at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast