Thread: Build Your Team's Coaching Staff

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Build Your Team's Coaching Staff

With Lou Piniella announcing his retirement after the 2010 season and the possibility of Ryne Sandberg filling his shoes it got me thinking of who I wanted my team to hire as far as former players go because I think Sandberg is just an awesome choice. So here's what I got for my SF Giants:

Manager- Bob Brenly
    , he's got experience and been in the booth for the past few years and see's how the game has changed. Plus a he's got a great sense of humor and has a WS ring as a manager.

Bench coach- Will the Thrill Clark
    , he already has a position in the front office but he was a very smart baseball man and would be someone people listen to because he still has that game face and always looked like a guy I wouldn't want to **** with

Hitting coach- Barry Lamar Bonds, who else would you rather have than one of the greatest hitter's of our generation? If McGwire can do it, Bonds can do it. Just have to wait for his perjury trial to get over with Plus he could help with baserunning since the man does have over 500 steals.

Pitching Coach- Dave Righetti, he has done a fairly good job in SF so I see no reason to move him.

Bullpen Coach- Robb Nen, I wish Rod Beck was still alive for this one but I will go with Nen instead. Nen gave his arm to this franchise, literally, to try and help get this team a WS. I will forever be grateful for that. Plus he would instill the fact that relievers have to pound the strike zone and not nibble all the time. I think he would be perfect for that.

First base Coach- J.T. Snow
    , who knows first base better than this guy?? Plus for being so slow he was actually a good baserunner and just think he is a cool cat.

Third base Coach- Rich Aurilia
    -, i wanted a former middle infielder to fill out my staff and always liked Aurilia especially in his heyday. He has played all over the infield and knows what he would be doing over there. I would take Matt Williams anyday but he is part owner of the Dbacks and do see a conflict of interest.

Curious to see what former players you would like in charge

MLB ERA

Re: Build Your Team's Coaching Staff

Good choices. How about Willie Mays as the advisor (ala Don Zimmer)?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mays, Marichal, McCovey, bring em all on.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

This just reads like the early 2000s Giants.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Benito Santiago has to be the bullpen catcher
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I would love to have Maddux, Smoltz, and/or Glavine as coaches in some capacity. Those are the obvious ones. Chipper Jones could be a hitting coach one day, I'm confident in that. To break from the obvious, Keith Lockhart. Oooh yeah. Hahaha. Brian Jordan can be a special strength and conditioning trainer.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Re: Build Your Team's Coaching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    This just reads like the early 2000s Giants.
    Brenly, Righetti and Clark were in the 00's? Sorry if the rest played in my generation

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No, I am not being serious about this coaching staff. But I figure Greg Maddux and Mike Piazza aren't walking through the door anyway, so why not get creative.

Manager- Kevin Brown
    . If there is anybody in baseball who knows about chemistry, here is someone who actually majored in it (chemical engineering). So the fact that he has a brain (when he's not pulling a gun on a neighbor over misplaced yard debris), certainly gives him an advantage over the morons we've had at the helm recently: Jim Tracy, Grady Little, Joe Torre.

Bench coach- Jeff Weaver. As alluded to above, the manager has some anger issues and since I don't think a bench coach really does anything, it might as well be his responsibility to calm down the manager, and who is more qualified than baseball's 4:20 man? Just keep the press far away from the clubhouse before the game.

Hitting coach- Matt Stairs. Far be it for the Dodgers to hire someone who owned them in the playoffs, but Jack Clark was once the hitting coach and irony's a *****.

Pitching Coach- David Eckstein. Not that I believe the runt has a clue on how to pitch, but I hate that ESPN's Dave Campbell and Joe Morgan love to smugly point out how everytime Rick Honeycutt makes a mound visit, the opposition proceeds to score that I think the only conceivable way ESPN would have any positive thing to say about a Dodgers pitching coach would be for them to keep fawning over how Eckstein still "knows how to win" as a coach and that he "puts the heart into heart-to-heart conversations" with his pitchers.

First base Coach- Jeff Kent
    . It's been noted that he gets into the heads of particularly younger peers. Great, maybe he can remind Matt Kemp to stay on the damn bag so he can stop getting picked off at first base.

Third base Coach- Bill Mueller
    . Is his player salary still on the payroll? Might as give the worthless **** something to do.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 08-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was surprised Jason Schmidt wasn't your pitching coach since Eckstein has never been a Dodger

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We do need a 2b after this year, Eckstein will be a free agent, and Ned loves to dumpster dive to fill roster holes, so it's all meant to be.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Theriot?

MLB ERA

Stairs was never a Dodger either.

I wouldn't mind if he became one this year, though.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Manager- Ken Griffey Jr: Hey someone has to be asleep at the wheel of this team.

Hitting Coach: Edgar Martinez- Maybe that will wake up Griffey, at least for the offense

Pitching Coach: Randy Johnson- We want entertainment, he would teach them out to brush people back.

1st Base: Jay Buhner- We all know he would keep Griffey awake somehow

3rd Base: Joey Cora- He would be in tears when a Mariner finally reaches 3rd base other than Franklin and Ichiro.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Manager - Sal Fasano
    Well, you know Fasano is the type of guy "who knows a guy that knows a guy."
    Come on now?!?!?! The guy is already manager of the single A team. And if rumors are to be true, looks like he may actually be picked to be manager after Cito calls it quits this season.

Bench Coach - John Olerud. Cause when Sal calls his guy who knows a guy, you wnat a genuine nice guy to step in and help out. A hitter, decent fielder, and all around nice guy.

Hitting Coach - Roberto Alomar. A Jays legend, and great swinger of the bat.

Pitching Coach - Dave Stieb. He already does some work during spring training, so it'll be a natural move for the Jays all time leader in wins.

1st Base Coach - Tony Fernandez. His defensive skills have to translate into something tangible to learn for the young players. May not have been the fastest guy on the field, but could help send players when needed.

3rd Base Coach - Ed Sprague, Jr. Cause he;s Ed Sprague, and really wants a job.