Thread: Third MLB Player to test positive for roids

MLB ERA

Third MLB Player to test positive for roids

NEW YORK -- Reliever Rafael Betancourt has run afoul of baseball's drug-testing policy and has been handed a league-mandated 10-day suspension, Indians general manager Mark Shapiro announced on Friday.

Betancourt, 30, is the first Indians player to test positive for use of banned substances. He is on the 15-day disabled list. His suspension, which started immediately, can run concurrently.

"The Cleveland Indians strongly support Major League Baseball's testing program for performance-enhancing drugs," Shapiro said in a statement. "In addition to this support, we continue to implement an aggressive educational program at the Major and Minor League levels.

"We want our players to be aware of the short- and long-term dangers of these substances."

Shapiro announced Betancourt's suspension after the clubhouse had closed before the start of their Friday night game with the Yankees. Players, including union representative Jody Gerut, were unavailable for comment.

Before going on the DL last Sunday, Betancourt had appeared in 29 games for the Tribe, and had a 2-2 record with a 2.21 ERA.

Since the policy went into effect, Betancourt would be the third Major League player to test positive for steroids or performance-enhancing drugs. (The others are Twins reliever Juan Rincon and Devil Rays outfielder Alex Sanchez.)

In a written statement, Betancourt, who will lose 10 days' pay, vowed to appeal the suspension.

"I am very angry and disappointed with Major League Baseball's decision to suspend me," Betancourt said in his statement. "I am going to file a grievance to clear my name. I am very sorry if this has caused any embarrassment and I apologize to my family, the Cleveland Indians organization, my teammates and all the fans.

"I look forward to resolving this matter and returning to the Indians as soon as possible."

Commissioner Bud Selig and the 30 team owners have gone on record as saying that they want to root steroids from the sport. Selig has pushed for tougher penalties, even for first-time offenders like Betancourt.

Selig has proposed a 50-game suspension for the first offense, 100 games for a second offense and a lifetime ban for a third.

Under his proposal, amphetamines would also be on the testing list, and players would be subject to increased random testing. An independent party would be hired to oversee the entire drug-testing program.

"Both [at] the executive council and at the meeting of the 30 clubs, everyone felt very strongly about this," Selig previously told MLB.com. "They wanted to show that in this particular group, there never has been equivocation and there isn't now. We had a very long and detailed discussion. And out of it came the resolution, first passed by the council and then the clubs."

Union chief Donald Fehr has said that the union would be willing to talk about the proposal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    Interesting that he wants his name cleared. Almost acting like he didn't do it and was on something else.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

If I understood a different article correctly, since he's suspended without pay, he can serve it while on the DL and lose 10 days salary.
    Last edited by RedGuernica; 07-09-2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo

AA ERA
    I think I read that too. Interesting.
    I aim to try

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's the sixth player.

And you guy's understood correctly, if he drops his appeal now, he can just serve his suspension while he's disabled. Buster Olney was talking about how this loophole needs fixed on Baseball Tonight.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

It might not be roids though? It could be some other substance he took by mistake.

Sorry, had to let that excuse out.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    It might not be roids though? It could be some other substance he took by mistake.

Sorry, had to let that excuse out.
    I was thinking about that. I think it's possible that is true especially since he wants his name cleared.
    I aim to try

Guernica, if you see this, how did you find your way here? Curiosity purposes only.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.