Thread: North Dakota has nothing better to do, taking up Maris' case

North Dakota has nothing better to do, taking up Maris' case

http://tinyurl.com/6sdo8

BISMARCK, N.D. -- The North Dakota Senate unanimously approved a resolution Thursday asking baseball commissioner Bud Selig to reinstate Roger Maris' 61 home runs in 1961 as the major league record.

Maris' mark has been surpassed six times since 1998, but baseball's steroids scandal has called the recent records into question.

"In North Dakota when we think something has been wrong, we try to make it right," said Sen. Joel Heitkamp, a Democrat who sponsored the resolution. "And when it comes to Roger Maris, and when it comes to steroids, and when it comes to how people have taken this record away ... that's not right."

Maris grew up in Fargo, where he was a high school star in baseball and football.

State senators approved the measure 45-0. It now moves to the North Dakota House for additional review.

The fact that it passed unianimously either means that government representatives in ND don't know baseball or they don't care, which I don't blame them for.

I think that there is too many variables to do anything worse to Bonds with the HR record than to simply asterik it. I know Page 2 had a humor article where they essentially rounded it down, using one way or another, to the HR record being 49 (I think) HR, since Maris did it in more games than Ruth and would not have broken it on a 154 game schedule, Ruth didn't play against black pitches, etc.

Nothing serious. Things like this will happen in this steroid controversy.