Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby Format Changed?

MLB ERA
    Let's hope Ichiro goes, and tanks, and finally dispels the myth that he "can hit for power whenver he wants to."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The games themselves as well as the derby have been worthwhile at the very least in recent memory. If only the tie never happened..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Let's hope Ichiro goes, and tanks, and finally dispels the myth that he "can hit for power whenver he wants to."
    Watched him in BP enough times to tell you. He can whenever he wants too.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

This is how I feel about this new format:
    Derby Format Changed? Attached Images Derby Format Changed?-gayflag-gif 
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hitting batting practice fastballs (both in the HR Derby and in BP) is far different then being able to hit for power in a game.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Go Pujols!

Ack! Vote Matsui in as the final man. He is a much better candidate to represent Japan than Ichiro... Talk about watering down the HR derby...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Considering so much hype Matsui had coming over compared to Ichiro, I don't see him as being a much better candidate to represent shit. Godzilla has been more like Fluffy the Terrier.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What?

They put Pudge Rodriguez in the Derby. He has 5 HR this year. The outrage!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Considering so much hype Matsui had coming over compared to Ichiro, I don't see him as being a much better candidate to represent shit. Godzilla has been more like Fluffy the Terrier.
    Right, so his 31 HRs last year didn't live up to the hype? Nevermind that he has been a more valuable hitter than Ichiro every season he has been here excluding his first based on OPS, but he still had the edge in doubles (42-29) and home runs (16-13), and that was when Matsui was "Ground-zilla." He ranked 10th in MLB in OPS last year and after a slow start to the year he is currently 10th in the AL in OPS (.907) right behind the slugging Mark Teixeira (.911). Fluffy the Terrier my foot!

Ichiro doesn't even deserve to be in the ASG the way he has been playing. Matsui is MUCH more deserving.

MLB ERA
    MUCH more deserving?? Puh-lease... keep the homerism out of it...

Matsui is a better HR hitter than Ichiro... that is not to be contested.... but then again, Matsui ain't great on the bases, is not as good a hitter, and is not as good defensively..

Personally... if Matsui gets in as the last man, I'll be upset... others are way more deserving, both in the HR derby and the AS game.... and of the ones on the ballot.. I'd rank him as last, or maybe only over Crawford.... Hunter at least can hit for some power and has speed, Posednick is the ML leader in steals, and Jeter IMHO is a better player, though it was correct to put the other SS's ahead of him this year

A better hitter? That is a laugh! Matsui is hitting for a higher average, has hit more doubles, and has more HRs than Ichiro this year. Ichiro's slap-style of hitting is nice and all, and admittidly gets him a TON of hits, but those hits are singles and makes him much less valuable. How can you say that a hitter with a .783 OPS is deserving of being in the ASG, let alone the HR Derby? That is my point. Matsui would be a much better representative for Japan, especially since they switched the whole damned format to promote the World Cup. Matsui was/is the most popular baseball player in Japan and they follow him religiously over here.

Let us not kid ourselves here, offensive production is the most important part of a position player's job. You are overrating defense. Matsui is the best hitter of all of the contestents left for the final spot on the AL Roster. Just look at the stats.

Maybe it's just me as a Red Sox fan, but Matsui always scares me when he's at the plate. I know he has the capability to get a HR or a double at any point in time. Ichiro's annoying, but I know that unless he puts a charge into one, I can expect a single.

It is a bias, but Matsui's stats are better, Ichiro hasn't proven he can hit for power outside of a BP setting, why not put Matsui in the derby? If they don't, I know this format change is just a ploy to get Ichiro in the HR derby over far more deserving hitters (two of Tejada, Manny, and Ortiz will not be in the derby since their country can only have one rep).

MLB ERA
    The ASG is not just for power hitters.... more OPS or whatever... there are other aspects of hitting... and of baseball.... I believe Ichiro to be more of a complete player, even if he is not as much of a power hitter... he is a leadoff guy, and one of the absolute best ones at that position in the game... I cannot say the same about Matsui and the role he fills

Power hitter... yeah... Matsui is better... other than that... I'd take Ichiro any day, even in this year where his batting average is a bit down... and it is weird to say that batting a tad under .310 is a DOWN year for a guy not named Tony Gwynn, now ain't it?

Matsui's been a better leadoff hitter (Better BA and OBP) than Ichiro anyway this year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast