Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you remember...

MLB ERA

Do you remember...

Ok, this is sort of a posting game I guess, but I think most posting games are lame and promote little to no discussion, while I hope this will.

One poster lists a random MLB player from the past. It can be a flash in the pan-type of guy who had his one or two yrs and disappeared off the face of the earth, a former top prospect (I copied this thread to the minors forum for this reason-- first time using that feature too lol) who fizzled out very quietly or maybe never even made it to the majors, a lifelong journey man (i.e. reliever/longman, pinch hitter, pinch runner/defensive replacement...), or maybe just a freakshow type of player who was known more for being a douchebag than being good. Or maybe even Gary Gaetti.

I guess there's no other point to this really, so if you reply just list some random burnout or asshole from the past 15-20 yrs who played in the MLB. Maybe it'll lead to some old names some of us have forgotten about... it'll be like looking through old baseball cards or something.

I'll go first:

SP Jerome Robertson, a 15-game winner with the Astros in like 2002 or 2003.

Even better, last I remember he was with Cleveland, who had traded Luke Scott, Willy Taveras and something else I think to the Astros in return. And even better again, Mark Shapiro still has Cleveland toiling in a pile of shit (not that Scott and Taveras have lit the world on fire, but this is probably just one of 20 others).

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Do you remember...

Yeah, the deal was Luke Scott and Willy Taveras for Robertson. The Astros made the deal to secure Taveras' rights after plucking him from the Indians' farm during the Rule 5 draft.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I've got one that many have never heard of or have mistaken for another player. Abraham Nunez. Not the former Pirates utility infielder. I'm talking about the 5-tool outfield prospect for the Marlins. He was the PTBNL in the Matt Mantei deal that also sent Brad Penny and Vladimir Nunez to the Marlins. My prospect handbook even compared him to Vladimir Guerrero. He ended up hitting .209 in parts of three seasons with the Marlins and Royals.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wilkin Ruan. An outfielder who was traded along with Guillermo Mota to L.A. for Matt Herges. Skinny. Fell off the map in 2008. Might have been devoured by Andruw Jones during spring training.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Scott Hairston. Can flat out hit.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

My fav...Dustin Hermanson.
    Who could forget that sweet goat-ee.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Josh Bard. Better than Russell Martin. "Bwahahaha"

Ramon Ortiz - adoring Pedro Martinez fan at a generation gap of one year his junior

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Abraham Nunez and Blaine Neal used to be so awesome on ootp 4. Shocking how that never materialized in reality.

Uhhhhh... how about the red headed step child of the Drew family, reliever Tim Drew? Or another heralded MR that was dealt and disappeared, Tim Spooneybarger.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

joe thurston. won me a championship in my own personal ootp file about 8 years in with the dbacks, before they became good. and by won me i mean... he was a 220 utility infielder, who got the game winning hit in game 7 of the world series. so he officially lives in infamy for me. sucked as a real pro though.

MLB ERA

KOZ, Spooneybarger was funny. Last I remember he went down for the yr w/ a big injury, and never really resurfaced. This was like 5 years ago too.

There was this FA on OOTP 4 or 5 that was a 5-star spect, and I'd always sign him for my Cubs franchises right when I'd start fresh w/ the new file, and he always did great. Wish I could remember his name, played for the Astros in real life too and maybe the Marlins for a minute.

edit: think the guy I'm thinking of was Nate Bump or something. lmfao, prolly have the name half-wrong but oh well.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I've got a couple of former Twins' farmhands that thought they were pretty good -- Adam Johnson and BJ Garbe. Throw in Matt Moses, although he is still playing.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jerome not the NBA Williams

Jesse Foppert.. I never did learn how his last name is pronounced. Fop pert? Faux-pair?
    Ted

MLB ERA

Foppert was hyped quite a bit. People seemed to think he would be a pretty good pitcher.
    It appears the Giants tried to bring him along too quickly and messed his psyche up. He is only 29 and is still pitching in the minors. He could still be a major leaguer, although its doubtful now.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Ryan Anderson was hyped up a ton as being the next Randy Johnson. Too bad he never made it, because it's always awesome to watch a 6'10 guy on the mound, and no you don't count Mark Hendrickson.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Kyle Peterson, 1st rounder and have a great college career. Now he covers the college world series for ESPN. The man was a beast on OOTP too.

Sean Burroughs was supposed to be one the top 3B prospects many years ago, I think he started about the same time as Hank Blalock. Needless to say it didn't go as well for Mr. Burroughs.
    Ted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast