Thread: Bronson Arroyo continues to run his mouth about steroids

MLB ERA

MLB Bronson Arroyo continues to run his mouth about steroids

Article

He actually says some pretty interesting things. Some I disagree with some I agree with. Here are the interesting quotes to me:

"I have a lot of guys in [the locker room] who think I'm out of [my] mind because I'm taking a lot of things not on the [MLB-approved] list," Arroyo said, according to the report. "I take 10 to 12 different things a day, and on the days I pitch, there's four more things. There's a caffeine drink I take from a company that [ex-Boston Red Sox teammate] Curt Schilling introduced me to in '05. I take some Korean ginseng and a few other proteins out there that are not certified. But I haven't failed any tests, so I figured I'm good."
    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say," Arroyo said, according to the report. "But society has made this such a tainted thing. The media has made it where people look at it in such a super-negative light. I've always been honest. I'm not going to stop now."
    "Man, I didn't think twice about it," he said, according to the report. "I took androstenedione the same way I took my multivitamins. I didn't really know if this was a genius move by Mark McGwire to cover up the real [stuff] he was taking, but it made me feel unbelievable. I felt like a monster. That stuff's like bubblegum compared to steroids. You're playing [night games] in L.A., you fly across the country, and you're pitching a day game at Wrigley [Field in Chicago]. You telling me you don't want something to wake you up? You have half this country, maybe more, that can't function without a cup of coffee."
    Now I know that andro is like bubblegum compared to steroids. I did an interview with a former bodybuilder turned sports doctor for my very first Bonnfire show, and he said the exact same thing. So don't go crazy that Arroyo took andro. Cuz almost everyone did before it was banned, and it wasn't even close to real steroids.

Here's the really interesting part:

"I can see where guys like Hank Aaron and some of the old-timers have a beef with it," Arroyo said, according to the report. "But as far as looking at Manny Ramirez like he's [serial killer] Ted Bundy, you're out of your mind. At the end of the day, you think anybody really [cares] whether Manny Ramirez's kidneys fail and he dies at 50?
    "You were happy if the Red Sox won 95 games. You'd go home, have a cookout with your family. No big deal,"
    "If Mark McGwire is hitting 60 homers, the only thing that matters is his performance," Arroyo said, according to USA Today. "People don't own teams to lose money. If you ask any owner whether they would rather make $20 million and come in last place or lose $20 million and win a World Series, there's only one guy who honestly would take that championship: George Steinbrenner. Nobody else."
    That last part is probably very true, which is unfortunate, but it might explain the actions of teams like the Pirates or the Royals.

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Bronson Arroyo continues to run his mouth about steroids

It's easy to say Steinbrenner would take the championship over the profit when the guy's bringing in 100s of millions a year.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

I've said it before and will say it again. MLB should either market or license supplements for players to use. Anything with their logo on it is fine. Anything without it is subject to scrutiny.
    Arroyo has said that he figures he's OK, but other guys haven't been as fortunate.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I guess Arroyo is conveniently setting all of this up so that when his name comes out as one of the 104, not more is made of it.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    I guess Arroyo is conveniently setting all of this up so that when his name comes out as one of the 104, not more is made of it.
    It really is an interesting strategy and is surprising that not too many people are realizing what he's doing here.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.