View Poll Results: What's your opinion of the DH?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • DH should be used in both leagues

0 0%
  • DH should not be used at all

4 44.44%
  • keep it as is

5 55.56%

Thread: Should baseball abolish the DH or should the NL use the DH as well?

MLB ERA

MLB Should baseball abolish the DH or should the NL use the DH as well?

I really enjoy the strategy involved with trying to work around the pitcher's spot in the line up. I think a lot of the strategy that makes the game so great is removed when a DH is inserted.

A counter-argument could be that the pitcher's spot in the line up is a virtual waste, save for the Carlos Zambranos and Micah Owings of the world.

Or is the diversity of the two leagues with their separate rule books too good of a thing to screw with at all?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Re: Should baseball abolish the DH or should the NL use the DH as well?

I used to be for the DH in both leagues, but I have since wavered into disliking the DH. Having a pitcher bat, to me, is part of the game.

Either way, both leagues should have the same rules when it comes to the DH.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I like the rules being different in both leagues. I also think that when the AL teams host NL teams, they should play under NL rules, and vice versa. This will give the fans a chance to see the "other" style of play.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I have thought about it a little in the past. I've thought about if it would be better if both leagues were the same but right now I'm pretty happy the way it is currently.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Although it's frustrating to have a scoring opportunity ruined by a pitcher who is inept with a bat, I must conclude it's nice for a young pitcher like Kershaw to have a breather in practically every ninth plate appearance and not have to pitch through an American League style lineup twice in 3 innings.

MLB ERA

I've wrestled with this debate for years, because my dad loves to argue it too. I honestly prefer traditional, lower scoring, high strategy games. I think that forcing pitchers to be able to bunt(AL pitchers, and even some NL pitchers often have trouble), forcing the entire lineup to be better situational hitters(suicide squeezes, hitting to the right side, sacrifice flies, etc), and seeing pitchers go deeper into games is the best thing we could do. I'd be all for removing the DH from the AL.

If not that, I don't like the idea of playing the visiting team's style...it completely reverses home field advantage. Which basically leaves it the way it is. The way it is isn't bad, but I think I'd prefer no DH at all...

MLB ERA

No DH doesn't really help pitchers go deeper into games. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

If it's the 7th inning of a one run game and the pitcher's spot is up the NL manager is apt to pinch hit to try and get (or further) the lead, whereas the AL pitcher can let his line up keep going and not have to worry about pulling his pitcher.

MLB ERA

There are a few pitchers that prefer to play in the NL because they like to hit once in a while (Micah Owings for example). Some prefer to pitch in the AL because they have not hit since highschool.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    No DH doesn't really help pitchers go deeper into games. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

If it's the 7th inning of a one run game and the pitcher's spot is up the NL manager is apt to pinch hit to try and get (or further) the lead, whereas the AL pitcher can let his line up keep going and not have to worry about pulling his pitcher.
    Having to face a DH creates more stress, more runs, forces a pitcher to throw more pitches, and likely leave the game earlier. Yes, you are more apt to get pinch hit for, but there's a HUGE difference between facing a guy like David Ortiz(in his prime), Jason Giambi(in his prime), Hideki Matsui, etc 3 times per game or facing AJ Burnett, John Lackey, or Mark Buehrle 3 times per game...

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Having to face a DH creates more stress, more runs, forces a pitcher to throw more pitches, and likely leave the game earlier. Yes, you are more apt to get pinch hit for, but there's a HUGE difference between facing a guy like David Ortiz(in his prime), Jason Giambi(in his prime), Hideki Matsui, etc 3 times per game or facing AJ Burnett, John Lackey, or Mark Buehrle 3 times per game...
    Interesting points.

I may look up some averages and statistics when I have more time.

MLB ERA

You lose so much strategic opportunities by having the dh in the AL. It requires the manager to constantly keep his head in the game as you have to worry about the lineup more. Plus gives pitchers an opportunity to "police themselves" if a pitcher hits a couple guys, put the dh in and you have no direct retribution.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes