Thread: Fenway Park

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Red Sox Fenway Park

This stadium is home to the first major league baseball game that I went to. I went with my dad. It was an A's/Sox game in 1992, which the A's won 4 - 0 behind a 2-hitter by Ron Darling.

Retrosheet Boxscore: Oakland Athletics 4, Boston Red Sox 0

I've been to at least 25 games since 1992 (probably over 30) and despite my disdain for the Red Sox, I've always loved Fenway Park...less so in recent years though. Every time I got a new baseball video game I would play a game in Fenway first. I just want to state that before anyone thought this review would be biased due to disliking the team. There are quite a few aspects of the stadium that I really enjoy and some I don't.

Park accessibility (Parking/Public Transportation)
    The park isn't the easiest to drive to depending on where you want to park and how close you want to be. If you're trying to go right to the stadium, then it can be a little confusing, but it's not too terrible. Nowadays, I drive to a specific area, park, and hop on the green line to go to the stadium. The parking is much cheaper than near the stadium. If you do park near the stadium, expect to pay $40 or so due to the fact that all of the surrounding area parking isn't owned by the Sox. I can get out of there for about $10 ($2 or less for parking and $8 round trip for 2 people on the T). B

Ticket Features (Lines to pick up Will Call, security etc...)
    Tickets are a ***** to get. I haven't been able to get tickets through the Sox website in 2 years. Every year when they first go on sale I can't get through the "virtual waiting room" they put you in to get tickets. It's become absurd. Their tickets are already the most expensive in baseball (this was the first year in 10 years or so when they didn't raise prices) and I absolutely refuse to go through eBay, StubHub, or whatever to pay even more.

The demand is so high for Sox tickets, which is why they have over 500 straight sellouts. One can hardly blame them for raising ticket prices when they keep selling out. It just sucks that the next closest MLB stadium is in NY, which is hardly an hour car ride like Boston. C

some of my recent ticket stubs

Seating
    There are many great seats in Fenway and there are some pretty crappy ones. The great ones are harder to get. The majority of seats give you a good view, but there are some that are obstructed (pillars, poles in the way). Some of the grandstand seats are really old and small. They're wooden, too. Most of the other seats are plastic. I haven't been to a game since 2007, so it's possible that they replaced some of those seats, but I'm not sure. B

Concourses (Lots of room, enough restrooms, things to do etc...)
    The majority of the concourses are tight to navigate, but they have added new, bigger areas in the last few years. There is a lot to do as they have stuff outside of the park and inside the park. It really adds to the feel. A-

Concessions (Price, Variety, etc)
    They have a nice variety, but the prices are really expensive. I usually avoid buying stuff at the park as there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area to go to that deserve your business more. B-

Joy to watch game (Obnoxious fans?, loyal fans, Loud or quiet)
    Usually, a game is very enjoyable here. There are loyal fans. There are obnoxious fans. And there are loyal, obnoxious fans. If you're a Red Sox fan, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you're a fan of another team, then I would suggest leaving your team gear at home or the hotel just to save yourself the hassle. I've never had a problem personally, but I've been to games where fights broke out, fans had beer poured on them, fans had stuff thrown at them, fans cussing up a storm with kids around, fans being verbally harassed, etc.

It can really take away from the feel and it's really unnecessary. People should be able to enjoy a game that they paid for. I've never experienced this type of stuff at the other stadiums I've been to. Only one Patriots game that I've been to did I see one of those behaviors (a guy threw a plastic beer bottle at someone). B

Ease to Leave
    It's not always very easy to leave Fenway just due to the area. There's a crunch getting out of the stadium, a crunch on the streets, a crunch to get to the parking lot or T stop, and a crunch driving away. Once you are out (on the T or the road) it's fine. As long as you know where you are going and stick together, you'll be fine. If the game isn't close, you could try leaving an inning early if you want to avoid some of that. B

Historical Factor
    I don't think much needs to be said here. It's an A+ all the way. The only thing I don't like is the crazy amount of advertisements today. It really takes away from the historical feel of the park IMHO. The difference is huge when I compare today to the first game I ever went to (I have it on VHS). I understand why they do it and I know they feel they need to do it, but it takes away from the stadium. That's just the way it is. A+

Things to do in the area
    There are many things to do in Boston. I could on and on. There are numerous bars, restaurants, and clubs in the area. Just about everything is accessible thanks to the T. There is an aquarium and a science museum in Boston. There are a lot of places to go shopping. There are other historical places to visit. It's really a great place to visit and explore if you have the time...so long as you know where you're going. A+

Overall Experience
    Despite the negatives that I outlined, it's still an A. The thing that frustrates me the most is the whole ticket situation. They make it near impossible for the average fan to get tickets without overpaying more than they already do. That angers me to no end. If I were a Red Sox fan, I'd be even more angry...it's still an A though.

Red Sox/Twins in 2000

Last edited by Providence A's; 07-15-2009 at 11:30 AM.

MLB ERA

Re: Fenway Park

A's/Sox 2001 (pre-game...infamous game where Carl Everett was thrown out from LF tagging up to 3rd before Nixon scored costing the Sox the game)

MLB ERA

A's/Sox in 2004 (non-alcoholic section lol)

MLB ERA

A's/Sox in 2007 (game where Lowell injured Piazza by diving on him instead of tagging 3rd base)

MLB ERA

Rays/Sox 2007

MLB ERA

any comments?

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nice pics.

I had a great time when I went down last year. I stayed on the BU campus, so it was a 10 minute walk to and from the stadium, and the walk across the highway and down to the green line is something to behold both pre and post game.

I stood in line for 3 hours to get a standing room ticket, but ended up taking a seat in the 4th after no one took it. It was a day game so there was a bunch of empty seats, which were already paid for, and yet were empty. So the 20 dollar standing room ticket turned into a 100 dollar ticket, so it was a win for me.

Beer and everything else was overpriced, so I just waited till after the game and hit up the bars in the surrounding area. I also went to a game at night time, but instead of going to actually see it, I walked into a bar watched it on one of the many of tvs in the place, and had a great time.

One thing that anyone that is in the area should do, is take the 15 dollar tour of the stadium. You get to go all over the place and it really is a great tour. I know it has that history, and it's something to learn a little more about the place.

View from my window looking over to Fenway.

View of Fenway at night.

MLB ERA

cool. I've been to 2 concerts at the BU arena there (Muse and Liars/Interpol). I frequent the area between BC and BU for shows at Paradise Rock Club, Great Scott, and Harpers Ferry. Did you ever go to Sunset Grill? They have the most beers on tap in Boston (it's on Brighton Ave going toward BC from BU; near Harvard Ave stop on the B line if you remember).
    Last edited by Providence A's; 07-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Going For It

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I didn't make it there, but by the sounds of it I should of.
    Speaking of the arena, one of the days I was just walking around on a stroll, sorta looking at things, and I stumpled upon it, so I walked inside, and the mens team was hosting a summer hockey camp. It was pretty neat to just sit for a couple of minutes watching hockey in the middle of summer.

A trip I shall make again sme day.