Thread: Citi Field Review

MLB ERA

Mets Citi Field Review

Citi Field

Accessibility: B/B+
    I haven’t yet driven to Citi Field, so I can’t say too much about the parking (though I’ve heard it’s at least sufficient, if not better). However, I will say that the LIRR and Subway stations remained in the same place, and because the location of the stadium is relatively the same, the accessibility to public transportation is still pretty good. While the public transportation is often crowded(due to rush hour from Penn Station in addition to a crowd of Mets fans), it usually runs pretty smoothly, and is a perfectly fine way of getting to the stadium.

Ticket Features: B
    I must say, the lines at will call when I went were much shorter than I imagined. They moved quickly, and we were able to pick up tickets that my friend’s father had left for us with much ease. However, I was very disappointed with one minor aspect of the ticketing/security department. I know it’s this way in many stadiums now, but I’m not a fan of the system where the fans place their own barcode(on the ticket) into a scanner. To me, it takes away the feel of walking into a ballpark, where the guy is supposed to take your ticket and welcome you personally.

Seating: B+
    The seats are bigger, wider, and there's more leg room. Every seat is angled towards the playing field, instead of facing straight ahead. The layout is wonderful, I love the look of the Pepsi Porch in right field, as well as the Acela Club restaurant in Left Field. Every seat has a cup holder on the seat in front of you, and there is plenty of room so as not to knock over your drink(or kick the person in front of you). I like the look of the dark green seats all around the playing field(although I admittedly miss the fun color coding of the seating levels. Overall, much improved from Shea Stadium, and among the most comfortable seating of any stadium I’ve been to.

Concourse: A-
    Prior to going to Citi Field, I don’t think I’ve ever been to a true “open concourse” stadium before. Boy, was I impressed. No matter where you go in the stadium you have a view of the field(not always a perfect view, but every spot in the park allows you to see the field, and from different, and often enticing viewpoints. I loved being able to see the field from behind centerfield, with the Home Run Apple in the foreground. Additionally, in the outfield gate, you can find both the Old Home Run Apple, and the pennants from Shea Stadium. Additionally, the ability to see into the bullpens from this area is really cool. Finally, the bridge that spans the concourse from right field to right center field is just marvelous. It’s a nice compliment to the rest of the stadium, and really looks wonderful (not to mention it’s a great shout out to New York City, and it’s architectural marvels (which include what feels like 50 bridges)

Food: A+
    By far one of the best aspects of the stadium, and the starkest improvement from Shea Stadium. Between Shake Shack and Blue Smoke, Citi incorporates two popular restaurants from the NYC area, and both bring AMAZING food and drinks(alcoholic and non), and are immensely popular. Even the Cascarino's Pizza is improved from Shea, and the food is just exceptional. The best is the fact that you can get so many different types of food including Ribs, Wings, Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Burgers, Tacos, and MUCH more. The prices are very fair(for a ballpark), with most of the food costing at most a dollar more than it would be at the versions of the restaurants outside of the stadium. (PS: At Blue Smoke, try the Kansas City Style Ribs, and the Smoked Chipotle Buffalo Wings: Total- $18…totally worth it).

Joy to watch game: B
    I was a little bit disappointed here too. The crowd wasn’t as loud and raucous as Shea Stadium used to be, and I must admit that was disconcerting. While I’ve always found Met fans to be mostly rational, reasonable, and easy to deal with, that’s also probably largely due to the fact that I’m one of them. However, most fans were pretty nice, and had no problem just marveling at the stadium, striking up conversation with anyone who would listen. Overall, the people were nice, and I’m sure the “crowd factor” will come, but it wasn’t there yet…

Ease to Leave: A
    I’ve never been to a stadium that’s easier to get out of the Citi Field. Mainly because of the many large doors in the rotunda, people were able to filter out relatively quickly and in an orderly fashion. There was no shoving, no one was blocking traffic, and once out of the stadium, public transportation and the parking lot are pretty much right there.

Historical Factor: B
    It’s tough for a brand new stadium to have that much history. However, as far as a first year stadium goes, I’d say Citi Field did it pretty well. Having the pennants and the Old Apple in the outfield gate is a way for fans to see parts of the old stadium that were so integral to the memories most of us fans have of Shea. Additionally, the placement of the old NY Skyline sign on the awning of the Shake Shack was a nice touch, especially with the 9/11 ribbon still attached over the Twin Towers. Finally, the Jackie Robinson Rotunda was the most awe inspiring aspect of a ballpark I’ve ever been to. The rotunda pays a fitting homage to Jackie Robinson, and the large #42 statue, as well as Jackie’s 9 virtues are a fitting piece of history (even if he never played for the Mets). There’s not much history there yet (and not nearly as much as in places like Wrigley and Fenway), but how could anyone expect there to be. It does a decent job reflecting on the past of NY Baseball, and overall gets a pretty good grade. (PS: Don’t forget that there are plans to add a NY Mets Museum of sorts to the stadium sometime this season, which will only add to this).

Overall Experience: B+/A-
    There were some flaws, but overall, it’s an incredible stadium. I understand that Shea Stadium was a dump…but it was OUR dump. As Mets fans, everyone truly loved that place, and every single one of us is sad that it’s gone. I feel fortunate that it was replaced with a stadium like this, where I can already tell I will have many many more memories. Citi Field is a great place to have fun (and I didn’t even mention the T-Ball field, the Dunk Tank, and many other child/non-baseball-fan friendly features.

Extra: Unfortunately, the immediately surrounding area does not provide much to do. It’s mainly chop shops and other non-entertainment based places of “business”. However, the bright side is that you’re about a 20 minute train ride to Penn Station, and within reach of the best city in the world, New York City(ok, maybe I’m a little biased, but come on, New York City has EVERYTHING anyone could ask for…)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Mets Re: Citi Field Review

you know what. The Mets really screwed in the making of this field. I mean, in the first 37 games at Citi Field the Mets along with their opponents have been robbed of a homerun 36 times!! Besides the fact that the walls are deep, and the field is bigger then Shea, the outfield walls are many feet higher than the ones at Shea. I have yet to attend a game at Citi Field, but I already think that Shea is better.

MLB ERA

Re: Citi Field Review

You really have to go to a game to understand. The stadium takes away homeruns, yes, but homeruns aren't everything. The ballpark is BEAUTIFUL. Everything about it is great. It truly is. Not only that, but they're probably going to move the walls in after the season, to balance it out. So, in reality, there is no such issue with the stadium.

Not to mention that I'd rather build a stadium that holds in too many HR than one that gives up too many....

MLB ERA

Re: Citi Field Review

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    You really have to go to a game to understand. The stadium takes away homeruns, yes, but homeruns aren't everything. The ballpark is BEAUTIFUL. Everything about it is great. It truly is. Not only that, but they're probably going to move the walls in after the season, to balance it out. So, in reality, there is no such issue with the stadium.

Not to mention that I'd rather build a stadium that holds in too many HR than one that gives up too many....
    That is true...much easier to move fences in than out

+rep
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs