Thread: Hitting Coaches Helping Others?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

MLB Hitting Coaches Helping Others?

I was just wanting some of your thoughts on MLB hitting coaches helping others that are not on their team who they are contracted. It would seem to be a conflict of interest. But I can also see them being able to make money with their talent and knowledge on the side so I am conflicted on the issue seeing both sides of it. As a GM, I wouldn't want my hitting coach helping others that could help beat my team and focusing more on people within the organization. As a hitting coach, I know I am not getting paid that well and would like to make some extra cash. This was only brought up after hearing about how many players go to other hitting coaches like Rudy Jaramillo and Dave Magadan. Just want to know what you think.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Hitting Coaches Helping Others?

I don't see this being any different from a hitter asking another hitter for tips. For example, Rollins calling up Jeter for hitting tips. Or Fukedome asking Ichiro. I don't see where this is an unwritten rule.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Hitting Coaches Helping Others?

Yeah but Jeter is not paying Rollins for his services and having private sessions. Just strikes me as a conflict of interest.